Wireless Charging

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The G6 cannot fast charge on wireless.
That's not what I was implying....I mean as fast as a conventional old school charger. I say that because a lot of people complain that wireless is slower than conventional. Fast wireless charging generates a lot of heat and I don't recommend it on devices that can.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
It's not fast, but you can get plenty of cheap Qi chargers at a few dollars each and spread around wherever you might be able to use it. Super convenient to just set it down to charge. I have two on my nightstand and one on my work desk and one that I take when I travel.
Bonus is that some crazy power surge won't affect your phone.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I've always been envious of wireless charging capability but now that I have a phone that can do it, I can't see how it is really all that useful. I have enough conventional chargers and cables already that I have them in all the locations I ever charge my phone. I'd still need a cable, it just goes to a charging pad/stand instead of the phone. And it's not like it takes more than a second to plug the cable in (unlike the GS5 with its annoying charging port flap).

What am I missing (other than the charging mount for the car - that would be useful if I frequently charged in the car, which I don't)? I almost got a charger just for the gadget factor, but is there more to it?

Some folks say that by plugging and unplugging all the time one can wear out the port. Some like it because they can one handedly drop it on a charger without fussing with a cord, or pick it up to check it without the limitations of being attached to a three foot cord. I like using mine at night because with a fast charger my phone is up to 100% soon after I'm asleep then sits there all night, with the wireless stand its slower but topped up by morning. None of these are killer must have features, but since you asked I thought I'd name a few.

lightrules

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
I like using mine at night because with a fast charger my phone is up to 100% soon after I'm asleep then sits there all night, with the wireless stand its slower but topped up by morning. None of these are killer must have features, but since you asked I thought I'd name a few.

This is probably the best reason (for me) to use wireless on my G6. It charges pretty slow, so yes, overnight it'll get to 100% easily by the AM. But otherwise, I use wired charging during the day (or in my car)...just so much faster.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I won't have my G6 until the end of the week but I ordered this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010B6PSMC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used my phone as an alarm clock for as long as I can remember. As such, I'll have my phone on a stand one way or another at night. Might as well charge it while it's there.

I have that one at work, a Nexus 5 charger and a Samsung charger at home and my wife has another Samsung charger at work. (She still has the Nexus 5.) I held on to my Nexus 5 for 3+ years until I found a good phone with wireless charging. She is doing the same. Once you get used to wireless it is pretty hard to go back. I pulled the trigger on the G6 now because my Nexus 5 stopped working with the wireless charger, and it was getting pretty slow as well. I'm not that glued to my phone that I need the quick charge feature, but it is nice to have the option.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm all about the wired charging. I have an old Nokia wireless charger from the Lumia 920 days and brought that to work to charge when needed. I only use the cable at home to top off the phone before I go to bed or the next morning if needed.

I've only had my G6 for a week and my previous Moto XPE had pretty terrible battery (sometimes had to charge 3+ times a day) so its taking a while to get rid of my battery anxiety. *Tells my self: it's ok... just breathe*

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I have 2 Samsung wireless charging pads that work great for the G6. One by the bedside at night, the other on my desk at work. Like the ease of simply put it down to charge, grab and go when heading out.
This, exactly. Except I'm using a S8+.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Some folks say that by plugging and unplugging all the time one can wear out the port. Some like it because they can one handedly drop it on a charger without fussing with a cord, or pick it up to check it without the limitations of being attached to a three foot cord. I like using mine at night because with a fast charger my phone is up to 100% soon after I'm asleep then sits there all night, with the wireless stand its slower but topped up by morning. None of these are killer must have features, but since you asked I thought I'd name a few.

Charging ports going bad have become less of issue when the industry went from mini sub to micro and even less of an issue with USB C

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Charging ports going bad have become less of issue when the industry went from mini sub to micro and even less of an issue with USB C

I agree, I've never had one go bad, I just wanted to answer his question with what some people see as advantages to wireless charging . . . for me its just the simple convenience of lay it down / pick it up and go, and not having a cable to get tangled up with on my desk or next to my bed or in the dark.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
pick it up to check it without the limitations of being attached to a three foot cord.

I have a concern about that. I prefer to minimize the number of cycles on and off the charger. I don't like the idea of interrupting charging for a second. I prefer to only begin charging if I am going to charge to full. If I am plugged in (I would never be limited by a 3-foot cord; I buy them as long as I want them), I can pick it up without stopping charging. Maybe it doesn't really make a difference in reality.

As for fast vs slow charging, since I normally charge overnight I don't have much need for fast charging and in fact my bedside charger is an old 2A one, so you can still slow-charge with wired too.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87