• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Those fortunate ones who got the Oreo update, please let us know how it is

Tony tata

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Very crisp now. All the lagging issues I had are gone. Camera is better now also. They did add some bloat ware and I had a failure to install something warning. But I Uninstalled the apps and wiped the cache partition and everything is working great. The battery life seems a little bit better but not much. The whole settings menu has been changed for The better. I am on sprint so it may be different for others. A very good update for the phone.

devaa

Banned
Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Its okay phone is fast and fluid. But to be honest i expected a bit more features with oreo but it is, what it is.

captfbgnet

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Very crisp now. All the lagging issues I had are gone. Camera is better now also. They did add some bloat ware and I had a failure to install something warning. But I Uninstalled the apps and wiped the cache partition and everything is working great. The battery life seems a little bit better but not much. The whole settings menu has been changed for The better. I am on sprint so it may be different for others. A very good update for the phone.

Ditto here, although didn't have any additional boatware.

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Notification shade has some more color, Settings has a new layout and a few things are moved around - still getting used to those, app sound profiles were/are the biggest adjustment for me as the system can now control notifications independent of the apps, and some apps conflict with this. Also 3rd-party apps can be a challenge at first because the "unknown apps source" is now applied per app - if you use a browser to download an apk it has to be explicitly allowed to install that apk, and so forth.

Biggest negative for me is battery life - on Nougat my average was about 5 hours SoT at 40% left in the tank; now it's 30 minutes SoT at 60%. I've gone through two factory resets and unloaded three apps (Clipper+, Glasswire, Stormtracker), now I'm "letting it settle" and just using the device as normally as possible with two extra charge sessions in my day.

I'm on Verizon, so yes there's bloatware, though it's easily uninstalled or removed via adb.

chuckdawg1999

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hate to say this but even after figuring out the bugs I have to give Oreo a thumbs down. My phone crashes at least once a day now and I'm just not happy overall.

kgambino

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Can no longer customize icons. There is a bit of a learning curve as to apps, etc. Can no longer pinch in to see see screens. Still working on it. Hubby is technologically impaired. I see frustration in my future.

chuckdawg1999

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to pop in and give you all a quick update, instead of crashing everyday my phone now crashes a few times a week. I honestly believe it was something with the Oreo update

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Seems like its a mixed bag...Am curious if those who've responded own carrier locked version or unlocked? I've been looking at the AT&T derivative but don't want to buy a phone that's gonna crash. My current Galaxy never crashes though its very outdated.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Seems like its a mixed bag...Am curious if those who've responded own carrier locked version or unlocked? I've been looking at the AT&T derivative but don't want to buy a phone that's gonna crash. My current Galaxy never crashes though its very outdated.

Perhaps unlocked versions are experiencing less issues? I guess we shall wait and see!

ralfyguy

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I only have one issue on the AT&T flavored version and that is the Citi Mobile app which sounds the notification sound 13! times whenever I have made a transaction. No other app does that.

kgambino

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Is that with the default launcher?
Yes. Before 7.0, you could long press on any folder icon. A little paint brush showed and you could click and change the icon to anything you wanted. I made all my own.

This is the one I used for direct call contact for the technologically impaired hubby. I%20heart%20Hubby%20New%20Desktop.jpg

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Oreo on my G6 seems to be working fine. I don't notice any big differences from the previous Nougat version. Battery life, performance all seem fine. Just a few minor annoyances with some notifications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty