Wipe to Remove Root

anon(5140585)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I an new to android rooting, and i just rooted my Optimus S using GingerSnap. I am curious to know if i would the device to factory, would that remove the root priviledges?

Thanks

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
thanks, I did the "unroot" by Gingersnap, but how do i know that my phone is actually unrooted?

You should have Terminal app installed, or if not, download it free from the market.

Open terminal

Type in su and hit enter

If you get an error - you are not rooted.

SU= Super User - a linux command to allow root access

anon(5140585)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You should have Terminal app installed, or if not, download it free from the market.

Open terminal

Type in su and hit enter

If you get an error - you are not rooted.

SU= Super User - a linux command to allow root access
I did receive an error from the terminal app through the market, permission denied. I have AVG installed on my device it states that an error exists... something to do with high privileges. So i assume that i am somehow still rooted.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I did receive an error from the terminal app through the market, permission denied. I have AVG installed on my device it states that an error exists... something to do with high privileges. So i assume that i am somehow still rooted.
If you did what he said then you are not rooted!

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
if the terminal app said "permission denied" then i wonder why AVG is still saying "higher privileges".

Any thoughts?
OK I have AVG too, it does not require root access. It might be showing that error cause you removed root privileges.

sent from my CM7 gingerbread Optimus S

anon(5140585)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Why are you wasting space with AVG antivirus?

being an Android newbie, i installed it first thing, alongside LookOut.

Anyway.... here's the deal:

Bought an Optimus S, set it up, installed AVG, played with it for a few days. Scanned a couple times with AVG and not a single error or something needing attention. So i decided to root it using GingerSnap.

Immediately after the root and then restarting the Optimus, i received 2 errors from AVG:
1 for usb debugging
1 for "higher privileges"

So i attempted to unroot using GingerSnap (i believe i did it successfully because i downloaded the terminal app, typed in "su" and it said permission denied.

Scanned with AVG again, USB debugging error did not show up (i unchecked that in the Application) but i still received the "higher privileges" error. So i wiped the device and SD to factory, installed AVG again, scanned, same thing: higher privileges.

My issue is: because of the AVG error, it seems somewhere is my device still has higher privileges than the normal user aka rooted.

Again i am a newbie to Android and it's root process. I have been developing for the Blackberry platform and creating hybrids/themes in my spare time, so i am not a dummy to devices/coding.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks guys!

c4manceph

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like something might have been left behind during the unroot process.

Do you still have the Superuser app installed on your device or was in uninstalled during the unroot process?

Did Superuser have any apps that it had granted superuser access?

Did you clear these permissions prior to unrooting?

Are there other apps presently installed on the device that require superuser access?

anon(5140585)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like something might have been left behind during the unroot process.

Do you still have the Superuser app installed on your device or was in uninstalled during the unroot process?

Did Superuser have any apps that it had granted superuser access?

Did you clear these permissions prior to unrooting?

Are there other apps presently installed on the device that require superuser access?

Superuser was uninstalled during unroot.
There were no apps granted to Superuser.
I cleared no permissions prior to unrooting.
No other apps installed on device, the device has been reset to factory several times... so only the factory apps are currently on it besides AVG.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
What's your purpose of unrooting? It seems like it successfully uprooted but the AVG application is still picking something up. I wouldn't worry about it and you don't need AVG as long as you download apps from legitimate sources, such as the Market.

Sent from my wildheroc using Tapatalk

anon(5140585)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
What's your purpose of unrooting? It seems like it successfully uprooted but the AVG application is still picking something up. I wouldn't worry about it and you don't need AVG as long as you download apps from legitimate sources, such as the Market.

Sent from my wildheroc using Tapatalk

Thanks for the confidence, and i don't plan on using AVG forever, but I was just curious about the whole "rooting" thing. And now that something seemed to have gone rogue after the unroot, i am more curious to know what is going on.