[How-To] Manual Rooting of LS670ZVH/ZVJ (+ links to root ZVD/ZV9)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Deez2000 for the original ZVH update.zip, solodogg for confirming the rooting process works, drewwalton19216801 for the ZVD rooting writeup, zefie for Xionia CWMA, scrosler for encouragement and gROM, jstntp for GingerBread themes, iBowToAndroid for ZVD installer, jcwxguy for testing the new rooting procedure, Denys Vlasenko for busybox, ChainsDD for su

This guide assumes you are already rooted with your current software version (ZV8, ZV9, ZVC, ZVD).

If not, root your current version first: ZVC/ZVD [GingerSnap] [GingerBreak] - ZV8/ZV9 [z4root]

If you accepted the OTA ZVH/ZVJ update prior to reading this thread or your phone came with ZVH/ZVJ, then use this thread:
[How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH (automated, no revert needed)

0) Backup anything important
You should always do this before any updates.

1) Download ZVH or ZVJ update.zip
ZVH: [mirror1][mirror2] [MD5: ca513fcb26917a01ea126948fa811565] [Size: 96,288,571]
ZVJ: [mirror1][mirror2][mirror3] [MD5: 305bf7cce30f66a947be845696d1122b] [Size: 97,894,782]

Place the ZVH or ZVJ update.zip in the top level directory of your sdcard.

If the mirror you used has the file named LS670ZVH.zip or LS670ZVJ.zip please rename the one your your sdcard to update.zip

2) Enable USB debugging

Make sure you are booted into Android with USB debugging ENABLED
Menu->Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging
Also make sure USB Storage Mode is DISABLED and sdcard is present in phone

3) Flash VH recovery

Download the ZVH/ZVJ recovery package [zvhrec.zip]
Unzip to top-level of your C: drive

From PC command prompt, run "install" to install files to sdcard, inspect for errors, start adb shell session
c:
cd zvhrec
install
adb shell

Install the VH recovery (do not type the $ and # symbols)
$ su
# cd /sdcard/000root
# /system/bin/sh install-vh.sh
# reboot recovery

4) Apply the ZVH/ZVJ update.zip

The previous step should have booted you into the VH recovery.

From the VH recovery [pic]

Press [Vol Dwn] button once to highlight "apply sdcard:update.zip" [pic]

Press the [Menu] button to run the ZVH/ZVJ updater [pic]

After around 75 seconds (based on class 6 sdcard) it will return to the recovery menu [pic]
If you get a signature error, either you don't have stock recovery (see Step #3) or your ZVH update.zip download is corrupted.

At this point you need to press the [Menu] button to continue the rest of the install (write the radio, boot android, recreate dalvik-cache). [pic]

This should take anywhere from 3-5 minutes. Your phone will reboot. When the update is done, you should be booted into Android. You are now running ZVH or ZVJ Android with ZVH or ZVJ Radio (depending on which update.zip you chose). [pic]

Note #1 - If you feel your phone is slower on ZVH/ZVJ, it appears there might be some one-time maintenance going on after your upgrade. Let the phone do its maintenance for half a day before you evaluate the speed. You may also want to change Menu->Settings->Display->Animation to "Some animations"

5) Perform factory reset
If you haven't done so already, it is highly suggested you do a factory reset at this point.

However, it isn't absolutely necessary as the ZVH/ZVJ update is supposed to work with what you already have installed. You can try things out a little and if anything is not working as expected, first thing you should do is a factory reset.

If you are upgrading from CM7 and/or you see lots of force closes and/or have a flaky display when ZVH/ZVJ starts, you definitely want to do a factory reset.

You can either perform the factory reset by booting into Recovery (choose "wipe data/factory reset") or from within Android
(only do it from within Android if you are sure you are running stock recovery - ie Step 3 completed with no errors)
Menu->Settings->Privacy->Factory data reset
[do *NOT* choose to Erase SD card]

Note #1 - if for some reason you are unable to perform a factory reset from Android, try doing the factory reset from Recovery, see this post.

6) Root the ZVH/ZVJ Android

Make sure you are booted into ZVH/ZVJ Android with USB debugging ENABLED
Menu->Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging
Also make sure USB Storage Mode is DISABLED and sdcard is present in phone

Download the ZVH/ZVJ root package [zvhroot.zip]
Unzip to top-level of your C: drive

From PC command prompt, run "install" to install files to sdcard
c:
cd zvhroot
install

From PC command prompt, make sure there are no errors, then reboot into recovery
If you have trouble with this step (ie it says operation not permitted or reboots back to Android rather than recovery), please substitute with, unplug usb cable, power down, simultaneously press and hold [Power] [Vol Dwn] [Home] until Recovery shows up, release buttons, plug in usb cable
adb reboot recovery

Once booted into recovery:
Pres [Vol Dwn] button once to highlight "apply sdcard:update.zip" [pic]
Press the [Menu] button to run the update.zip. You will see an expected error [pic]

From PC command prompt, start an adb shell session
adb shell

Install persistent root (do not type the # symbols)
# cd /sdcard/000root
# /system/bin/sh install-root.sh

Assuming there there are no errors. You are done.

Make sure "reboot system now" is highlighted on your phone, press [Menu] to reboot into Android, and enjoy your rooted ZVH! [pic]

Note #1 - The first time you use "su" you need to grant permissions on a prompt that comes up on the phone's screen. If you don't realize that, you'll get "permission denied" and think the root didn't work. Make sure your phone is not on the lock screen or you won't see the prompt.

7) OPTIONAL - flash Xionia CWMA custom recovery

This will allow you to root much easier in the future, apply custom ROMs, and make/restore nandroid backups [original thread]

Open an adb shell session to your phone (do not type the $ and # symbols)
$ su
# cd /sdcard/000root
# /system/bin/sh install-xionia.sh
# exit
$ exit

8) OPTIONAL - What's next? (requires ZVH)

GingerBread Themes
Install some nice themes to give your phone a fresh look, compatible with stock and gROM.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...9426-themes-optimus-s-gingerbread-themes.html

gROM
This is a nice clean ROM with bloat removed and just enough enhancements to be useful.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...85-rom-grom-2-2-10-16-gb-flash-yes-flash.html

Opti-ROM
Newest ROM collaboration between beezy, drewwalton19216801, jondevere, and basketthis
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...-built-apps2sd-storage-management-ocable.html

GingerKernel
Use this if you want to add OC and other kernel goodies to your current ROM.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...kernel-v08-1-oc-double-tapping-bug-fixed.html

9) Reference Section
a) LG LS670 drivers [USB][Android]
b) Factory reset from within Stock Recovery
c) Full ZVD update.zip (works from any version)
d) Minimal download for Recoveries and Installers (unpack to SD card)
e) Simplified UNROOT and return to STOCK
f) Revert to V9 using KP500
g) Archive of old ZVH rooting directions

Last edited by a moderator:

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH (temporary instructions)

Trying from a fresh VD system. Just rooted and am now attempting to flash V9 recovery. Will update this post on how its going.

Update 1: It said it flashed V9 but it doesn't appear to have really flashed V9. It was way to fast to do it. Like instant fast but I am pushing on. I got VH installed now.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Update 1: It said it flashed V9 but it doesn't appear to have really flashed V9. It was way to fast to do it. Like instant fast but I am pushing on. I got VH installed now.
It is supposed to be fast. Just flashing a 7MB file. Recovery is a relatively small file/partition, nothing compared to the entire Android OS.

As long as there was no error, it should be working fine.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I got VH installed now.
When you go to root ZVH via the V9 recovery, remember to copy the V8->V9 update.zip to your /sdcard and also remember to apply it at the appropriately marked step, at which point you'll get an *expected error*. Continue with the instructions.

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

It is supposed to be fast. Just flashing a 7MB file. Recovery is a relatively small file/partition, nothing compared to the entire Android OS.

As long as there was no error, it should be working fine.

Right but I have never seen any recovery flash that fast. That was faster than Xionia which is half the size.

When you go to root ZVH via the V9 recovery, remember to copy the V8->V9 update.zip to your /sdcard and also remember to apply it at the appropriately marked step, at which point you'll get an *expected error*

Yep, thats the step I am at now... brb

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

Glad it worked for you.

This is the perfect guide. It worked without flaw. I am now flashing back to gROM.

After I reverted back before to start my guide I realized why I wasnt get the ADB shell now. I forgot to copy the V8_V9 update! Yeah, that was kinda embarrassing. LOL, oh well, I am sure that more people will be posting this same issue soon.

One thing I would add as an optional step is a link to the xionia recovery as the final optional step and this guide will be all inclusive.

Great work!

donbudafuko

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

what Is the v8 v9 update.zip supose to be named as or just leave it as update.zip just wondering cus the zvh is named update.zip an I just want to make sure before I go on with the prossese

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I forgot to copy the V8_V9 update! Yeah, that was kinda embarrassing. LOL, oh well, I am sure that more people will be posting this same issue soon.

One thing I would add as an optional step is a link to the xionia recovery as the final optional step and this guide will be all inclusive.
Updated the guide to reflect your suggestions.

Reactions: scrosler

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

what Is the v8 v9 update.zip supose to be named as or just leave it as update.zip just wondering cus the zvh is named update.zip an I just want to make sure before I go on with the prossese
It should be named update.zip

The ZVH update.zip is no longer needed at this point.

deadset

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

Getting a lot of force closes with Update Device (process.com.redbend.vdmc). I haven't rooted yet just went to put v8-v9 update on my sdcard. Is this normal? I didn't enter any accounts just skipped it all.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Getting a lot of force closes with Update Device (process.com.redbend.vdmc). I haven't rooted yet just went to put v8-v9 update on my sdcard. Is this normal? I didn't enter any accounts just skipped it all.
I don't believe it should be happening. You might need to clear dalvik-cache.

What ROM were you running prior to updating to ZVH?

deadset

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

I don't believe it should be happening. You might need to clear dalvik-cache.

What ROM were you running prior to updating to ZVH?

But how do I do that without root :-\

I rooted but superuser will just also Force Close.. doesn't seem normal. How else am I supposed to flash a custom recovery without superuser?

I was running Drew's CM7. Any idea on what to do? I can downgrade to V9 or whatever if I must, not a problem. Just let me know what the easiest way is.

edit: Wiped cache in V9 recovery... still multiple force closings. Hmm... what to do now?

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

But how do I do that without root :-\

I rooted but superuser will just also Force Close.. doesn't seem normal. How else am I supposed to flash a custom recovery without superuser?

I was running Drew's CM7. Any idea on what to do? I can downgrade to V9 or whatever if I must, not a problem. Just let me know what the easiest way is.
Boot into recovery.

There should be an option to "wipe cache partition"

Try that first and see if it helps.

If that doesn't help, try the other option "wipe data/factory reset" (needless to say you will lose your user data and user apps doing this)

If all else fails and you are sure you are running stock recovery or Xionia CWMA recovery, you can try a ##786# reset from the dialer. You'll need your MSL for that though.

deadset

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

Is wipe data safe to do even if I rooted succesfully? Ragegainstthecage gave me a #. I haven't installed a custom recovery obviously. So that means it's okay?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Is wipe data safe to do even if I rooted succesfully? Ragegainstthecage gave me a #. I haven't installed a custom recovery obviously. So that means it's okay?
It should be safe. Wipe data/cache from recovery hasn't been an issue before. It is only the privacy->reset and ##786# reset that have caused troubles if you are running the wrong recovery.

deadset

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

Yes I did a wipe data and it fixed. I should have known something was off when the live wallpaper was active. If you upgrade to ZVH and you had Drew's CM7... Make sure to wipe data in V9 recovery.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Yes I did a wipe data and it fixed. I should have known something was off when the live wallpaper was active. If you upgrade to ZVH and you had Drew's CM7... Make sure to wipe data in V9 recovery.
Added a note to the instructions for this scenario.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89