somewhat lost about Gingerbread

omarnova

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
im on reborn 2.2.4 android version 2.2.2 how do i go from this.....to Gingerbread :) right now all the threads seem hectic about the update, causing confusing on my part.

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Just take your time and read read and read some more. My phone was on Reborn as well and I took the plunge earlier today. Just follow the instructions and don't freak out about errors since some will be there (it's stated in the guide).

After I flashed the GB update, my phone started to act really slow and delayed. I'm guessing that's normal? lol I dunno. I then put on Xionia recovery and flashed gROM (make sure you wipe everything - data, cache, davlik). Now I'm good as gold. I didn't restore any apps with titanium backup since I rather redo all my apps when I switch ROMS (just personal preference).

So far so good. Now if we could get that data2ext to work with this, I'd be in Android heaven.

Reactions: omarnova

omarnova

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Just take your time and read read and read some more. My phone was on Reborn as well and I took the plunge earlier today. Just follow the instructions and don't freak out about errors since some will be there (it's stated in the guide).

After I flashed the GB update, my phone started to act really slow and delayed. I'm guessing that's normal? lol I dunno. I then put on Xionia recovery and flashed gROM (make sure you wipe everything - data, cache, davlik). Now I'm good as gold. I didn't restore any apps with titanium backup since I rather redo all my apps when I switch ROMS (just personal preference).

So far so good. Now if we could get that data2ext to work with this, I'd be in Android heaven.

thanks for the info!! would it be easier if i just wait for the update on my phone? or would i still need to follow all of these steps?

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the info!! would it be easier if i just wait for the update on my phone? or would i still need to follow all of these steps?

Well if you wait for the OTA update while on Reborn, I don't think it'll update. Or it may screw things up. You'd have to revert back to stock VD rom for the OTA to work properly. Since I rooted my Opti when I was on V9 via the rageagainstthecage method, I'm familiar with the ADB commands. really all you need to do is copy and paste the commands from the guides into your command prompt window.

If you're comfortable with ADB and all that, then I say go for it. If you run into problems, the devs here are more than willing to help out. Just follow the steps and kind of understand what you are trying to do and you will get it updated with minimal issues.

Basically from what i can gather you'll be doing the following:

1, Revert back to stock V9 recovery (this will not work with custom recovery or VC/VD recovery)
2. In V9 recovery, you flash the ZVH update to get to GB
3. ADB to get root in GB
4. Install custom recovery (Xionia is what I prefer)
5. Wipe data/cache and flash gROM

There were times where it took awhile to boot up. It looked like I was stuck on the Android boot animation, but eventually it'll finish loading up. Also after you update to GB, check to make sure you can update PRL and profile. I usually check that to make sure they still work.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Accepting an over-the-air (OTA) update when running a custom ROM is a bad idea, so much so that it is usually disabled by default nowadays.

The method detailed in the referenced thread provides a way to root the new ZVH base using an exploit in through MV9 version of stock recovery that we know works right now, even if it seems round-about compared to Gingerbreak methods, which do not seem to work on ZVH.

Basically, you can attempt this or wait for someone to come up with a different exploit or method.

omarnova

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Well if you wait for the OTA update while on Reborn, I don't think it'll update. Or it may screw things up. You'd have to revert back to stock VD rom for the OTA to work properly. Since I rooted my Opti when I was on V9 via the rageagainstthecage method, I'm familiar with the ADB commands. really all you need to do is copy and paste the commands from the guides into your command prompt window.

If you're comfortable with ADB and all that, then I say go for it. If you run into problems, the devs here are more than willing to help out. Just follow the steps and kind of understand what you are trying to do and you will get it updated with minimal issues.

Basically from what i can gather you'll be doing the following:

1, Revert back to stock V9 recovery (this will not work with custom recovery or VC/VD recovery)
2. In V9 recovery, you flash the ZVH update to get to GB
3. ADB to get root in GB
4. Install custom recovery (Xionia is what I prefer)
5. Wipe data/cache and flash gROM

There were times where it took awhile to boot up. It looked like I was stuck on the Android boot animation, but eventually it'll finish loading up. Also after you update to GB, check to make sure you can update PRL and profile. I usually check that to make sure they still work.

i am familiar with ADB, i should be fine...1 question how do i prevent from losing apps? the other day i wiped data and forgot how to get my apps back so i had to flash a nandroid

dafluke24

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
i am familiar with ADB, i should be fine...1 question how do i prevent from losing apps? the other day i wiped data and forgot how to get my apps back so i had to flash a nandroid

download titanium backup from the market and back up all your apps and system data. it should store it on the sd card. once you get on GB and gROM, redownload titatium back up and restore the apps you want. I don't suggest restore everything like the core system files. Just choose the apps you want to restore and restore with data

dirtyash

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
There is no way to prevent losing apps. You have to install Titanium Backup (Link) and do a full backup.

Full Backup Instructions:
Once installed open the app, let it load and display the change log, close the change log and when in the main screen hit the menu button. You will see an option labled "batch". Select "batch" and scroll down to "Backup all user apps". Click on the RUN button next to "Backup all user apps" and then wait. Now you have your apps backed up on the SD card. When you get done updating to gingerbread you will have to reinstall Titanium Backup and then you can reinstall the apps from the "Backup/Restore" option.

Remember this will not save your contacts (google acct will save your contacts), sms, mms (there are apps to save your messages, but I don't use them) or other tweeks. The great thing about Titanium Backup, though, is that it will save your game achievements as well; such as the levels in angry birds .

*Edit* - Ha! I guess I got beat by dafluke!!

omarnova

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
download titanium backup from the market and back up all your apps and system data. it should store it on the sd card. once you get on GB and gROM, redownload titatium back up and restore the apps you want. I don't suggest restore everything like the core system files. Just choose the apps you want to restore and restore with data

wow thanks, didnt realize it backed up onto the sd card...once i saw titanium missing i thought i lost my backups as well! thanks for the help

omarnova

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
There is no way to prevent losing apps. You have to install Titanium Backup (Link) and do a full backup.

Full Backup Instructions:
Once installed open the app, let it load and display the change log, close the change log and when in the main screen hit the menu button. You will see an option labled "batch". Select "batch" and scroll down to "Backup all user apps". Click on the RUN button next to "Backup all user apps" and then wait. Now you have your apps backed up on the SD card. When you get done updating to gingerbread you will have to reinstall Titanium Backup and then you can reinstall the apps from the "Backup/Restore" option.

Remember this will not save your contacts (google acct will save your contacts), sms, mms (there are apps to save your messages, but I don't use them) or other tweeks. The great thing about Titanium Backup, though, is that it will save your game achievements as well; such as the levels in angry birds .

appreciate it! looking forward to joining you guys on GingerBread