Which system apps are safe to delete?

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
What apps are safe to delete out of the system\app directory? I'm running Reborn ROM and while I am very pleased with it there are a few apps that came pre-installed that I don't use and would like to remove (eg: download all files). Also is it safe to remove google apps from the system folder if I am using a newer version downloaded from the market (eg: gmail, maps, market, etc)? It just seems like a waste to have these apps taking up twice as much space as necessary with the old version being in system and the new version in data.

jonny5449

AC Citizen
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Stuff like Calender , calculator , alarm clock, browser (have another one) as long as they are not to help rom work I have never done this do some research and take risks into mind

Cm9
787 MHz
Hydro kernel
Amphetamines

pmoneyprix

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Noob question, I'm running reborn and id like to delete YouTube and other apps. How do I do it? Cannot delete download all files either. Thanks for any help

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Noob question, I'm running reborn and id like to delete YouTube and other apps. How do I do it? Cannot delete download all files either. Thanks for any help

I use Titanium Backup. There are a bunch of other root uninstaller apps on the market too. You can also use a file explorer with root priveleges and go into /system/app and delete them from there.

Please be careful what you delete though or you'll jack stuff up! :p

pmoneyprix

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks much, I'm new to root n rom but I'm tryin to read every sticky I can find on this old dog.lol can any1 elaborate on how some of the sigs say optimus runnin reborn or cm 7 with 1gb of internal storage. How do u get a gb of internal storage.? thanks again!! :)

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I suggest copying the file from /system/app to a designated folder on your SD card, rather than deleting them entirely. That way you can always move the app back if removing it has any undesired consequences.

General method, whether using a terminal/ADB or a root enabled file manager is:
  1. Copy /system/app/xxxx.apk to /sdcard/[YOURFOLDERNAMEHERE]
  2. Remount /system as read-writeable.
  3. Remove /system/app/xxxx.apk
  4. Remount /system as read only.

Do one at a time unless you are certain of the impact. ;)
Also, as noted above, in many cases it helps to have a suitable replacement already installed in order to avoid losing some functions (e.g. QuickPic for Gallery3D).

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks much, I'm new to root n rom but I'm tryin to read every sticky I can find on this old dog.lol can any1 elaborate on how some of the sigs say optimus runnin reborn or cm 7 with 1gb of internal storage. How do u get a gb of internal storage.? thanks again!! :)
They are using an officially unsupported mod, either data2ext or links2sd, that allow the phone to use a partition on the SD card as internal memory. There are some notable downsides to this, so read up all you can on the pros and cons before going that route. If you do, though, I highly recommend you upgrade your SD to something higher quality than the one that comes with the device.

pmoneyprix

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Ur all so helpful and fast too.. :) thanks a lot!! So it doesn't make the o run faster or smoother? If not I'm ok with my 115mb after apps.. :) also I'm only seeing 3 roms available for my zvd that r stable dailys, is there more I'm missing? Reborn srom and cm7. Sorry for bein a pita.. lol

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Ur all so helpful and fast too.. :) thanks a lot!! So it doesn't make the o run faster or smoother? If not I'm ok with my 115mb after apps.. :) also I'm only seeing 3 roms available for my zvd that r stable dailys, is there more I'm missing? Reborn srom and cm7. Sorry for bein a pita.. lol

There are a couple more (there is a sticky that lists them all) but Reborn is my favorite for zvd. It's just...awesome. Lol. Ofc you'll just have to try them out and see which one you like best.

Edit: Here is the sticky I was referring to: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=122399

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The SD card-as-internal mods referenced above only extend the available memory of the device by mounting and using another storage device. The gain of this is that you can install more apps and have a relatively absurd stat to put in your signature block :cool: , no bump in speed. I'm not saying don't do it, but know what you are getting in to and why many of us avoid it. I would also suggest experimenting with ROMs until you find "the one" before committing to a mod like that. blackops1125 is the resident champion of the data2ext cause, so he might have some more suggestions for you there.

The three ZVD ROMs you mentioned are the most refined of the lot. There are some other options that still have some bugs to iron out, but depending on how you use your device, they may work fine for you at their late alpha stage. thekraven's CM9 and Invincible Madness's MIUI ROM are in that category.

We're happy to help and I haven't seen a PITA post from you yet. If you find something helpful in your quest for pocketwide domination, please hit the thanks or like button if you feel so inclined.

Last edited:

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I would also suggest experimenting with ROMs until you find "the one" before committing to a mod like that. blackops1125 is the resident champion of the data2ext cause, so he might have some more suggestions for you there.

The reason you want to figure which rom you are going to use is because different Roms use different Data2ext zips
The only real downside to using this is, If you use a cheap SD card it can burnout alot quicker, and if you use one that is slow (like Class 2 or sme cheap class 4 cards) you can get some lag, just like a computer with a slow hard drive!