LG Optimus U Compatibility

njlpowell

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I have a question. TYIA for any help!

I have an LG Optimus U. I hear it is nearly the exact same as the "S" edition. The "U" is on US Cellular, which is also CDMA. Is there any risk involved in flashing the recovery and ROM? As in irreversable damage.

(I am not new to flashing, just seeing if these are compatible since there is not any development for the U.)

Thank you very much! :cool:

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Someone reported that trying it on the Optimus M (the recovery at least) left them unable to select options in the recovery. Since I know that the hard key layout for the U is different, would suggest that you don't try it :p

njlpowell

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... Well thats not a good sign.

About the hard keys, the menu and home buttons are reversed. On the S, Home is First, and menu second. On the U, Menu is first, Home is 2nd. Everything else is the same, every little but of hardware. Are there more differences between the M and S, rather than the U and S? Hardware wise?

And if I can't move around in recovery, can I recover my phone? I am willing to try it, just don't wanna brick it :).

Thank you again for everything...

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if the user was able to get out of recovery, but it wasn't bricked per se. The recovery worked, but because the hard keys were different, it couldn't detect that the user was selecting an item. I've heard that LG phones also will boot in to recovery if the previous boot was a recovery boot, so pulling the battery might not help in that case, though there may be some options you could use from Adb to get it working :p

njlpowell

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am just concerned about recovery and ROM, because my friend has Sprint (which has horrible coverage where I live, hence US Cellular) with the ThundeROM. And I love it...

njlpowell

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well that takes care of that then :). Even though we already have dump now, could someone point me to a link that shows how to do a system dump? That way I don't feel like such a n00b. Thanks!

njlpowell

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: The custom recovery does indeed work just fine on the Optimus U. I have insurance on the phone, so now I will try flashing the ROM. I will let everyone know how it goes...

HTH's everyone with a U version!

njlpowell

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: ThundeRom is NOT compatible with the U. It froze on Boot with a boot failure message of some type. But the recovery is working! I am now going to test the tweaked OC Kernel. Will keep everyone posted...

njlpowell

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: The OC Kernel would not work either. But I am happy to be rooted, and have a recovery installed when a ROM for the U comes along. Thanks everyone for your help!