Copying app from 2.2.1 to 2.2.2

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if this should be in the hacks subforum or in the main forum - mods, feel free to move if necessary.

When on and earlier version of ThundeROM on either V9 or VC (Android 2.2.1), I purchased, downloaded, and installed MLB.com At Bat 2011. Now I have updated to VD and ThundeROM 1.8, which is Android 2.2.2, and this app no longer shows up in the market either in app search results or in "my apps," which means as the baseball season nears and MLB.com releases updates to the app, I won't be able to get them. I can still run the app, but I can't get updates to it.

If I drop down to ThundeROM 1.7 I'd be willing to bet that the app will show back up in the market. If there is an update to the app that I need, would it be possible to make a nandroid backup of my current system, flash down to 1.7, install the newest version of the app, somehow back that app up to my sdcard, restore my backup, and then install the newest version of the app to ThundeROM 1.8? Is there an easier way? I also noticed that the app is not in the market when I'm using CM7 (Android 2.3.3), so ideally I'd like to be able to install the app on that as well.

I've contacted MLB.com mobile customer support about why the app isn't showing up in the market (all documentation claims that it is compatible with "Android 2.1 and up") but in the meantime I'd like to work something out.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
couple of ideas:

1) Flash and run a buildprop from VC so your phone thinks your on 2.2.1.
2) Edit the VD buildprop to show 2.2.1.
3) Watch the app in androlib and whenever an update is released, flash 1.7, update the app, flash 1.8

These are ideas to try and see what happens. Not ideal but would work until MLB get's the app/market corrected.

EDIT - When this phone first launched one of my favorite paid apps wouldnt show up. After waiting a week or so i emailed the dev who apologized, emailed me a version of the apk to install, and had the market fixed within a day or so. Assuming MLB responds timely, you may not have to use a workaround for too long.

Reactions: ccrs8

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
couple of ideas:

1) Flash and run a buildprop from VC so your phone thinks your on 2.2.1.
2) Edit the VD buildprop to show 2.2.1.
3) Watch the app in androlib and whenever an update is released, flash 1.7, update the app, flash 1.8

These are ideas to try and see what happens. Not ideal but would work until MLB get's the app/market corrected.

EDIT - When this phone first launched one of my favorite paid apps wouldnt show up. After waiting a week or so i emailed the dev who apologized, emailed me a version of the apk to install, and had the market fixed within a day or so. Assuming MLB responds timely, you may not have to use a workaround for too long.

Awesome, thanks! I flashed the deluxe buildprop from TR 1.7 and that got the app back in the market. It also put last year's At Bat 2010 back in the market under "purchased" since I had it on my Samsung Moment last year - I hadn't realized it was missing from the list.

Other than providing the wrong data in "about phone" is there any negative impact from using this 1.7 buildprop with TR 1.8? If so, I'll just keep it on the sd card for upgrading this app, but if not I may as well keep running with it.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Awesome, thanks! I flashed the deluxe buildprop from TR 1.7 and that got the app back in the market. It also put last year's At Bat 2010 back in the market under "purchased" since I had it on my Samsung Moment last year - I hadn't realized it was missing from the list.

Other than providing the wrong data in "about phone" is there any negative impact from using this 1.7 buildprop with TR 1.8? If so, I'll just keep it on the sd card for upgrading this app, but if not I may as well keep running with it.

You know .... I'm not 100% sure about the answer to that. I genuinely believe it's no, there really would be no difference at all but i'd want to check that. I'm not in a position to check now but i can always do it later. One thing i could see being a problem though is if sprint pushes VD out OTA then your phone would think it's on VC and want to apply the OTA.

I think it would probably be better to edit a VD buildprop and just change the android display to 2.2.1. If that works, which i think it would, then the OTA shouldnt bug you when that comes out and any difference would be negated.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
You know .... I'm not 100% sure about the answer to that. I genuinely believe it's no, there really would be no difference at all but i'd want to check that. I'm not in a position to check now but i can always do it later. One thing i could see being a problem though is if sprint pushes VD out OTA then your phone would think it's on VC and want to apply the OTA.

I think it would probably be better to edit a VD buildprop and just change the android display to 2.2.1. If that works, which i think it would, then the OTA shouldnt bug you when that comes out and any difference would be negated.

The first thing I attempted before flashing the 1.7 buildprop was to edit the 1.8-stagefright buildprop and just change the android version to 2.2.1. However, I got an unknown error in recovery when I attempted to flash it. Before investing any more time troubleshooting, I figured I'd flash a 1.7 buildprop to test the theory that changing the version number would in fact allow the app to show up in the market. I think I'll look in to my error a bit more thoroughly now that I know changing the version will give me the desired results. I'll also try to edit the zefie's CM7 buildprop to see if I can get the app installed on that as well.

I ended up reflashing the 1.8 buildprop in the meantime, figuring I'd just keep up with the app manually and then flash the older buildprop when necessary to update the app. This way I'd avoid any undiscovered issues with running an older buildprop and I'd get to see if/when MLB fixes the issue.

Update: MLB's mobile customer support team responded to my inquiry by sending me a link to the very page that states that the app works for "Android 2.1 and up." The email also says, "The tracking number for this inquiry is: " but then conveniently does not actually give a tracking number. This is pretty much par for the course when dealing with them, which is why I was interested in finding a workaround on my own.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The first thing I attempted before flashing the 1.7 buildprop was to edit the 1.8-stagefright buildprop and just change the android version to 2.2.1. However, I got an unknown error in recovery when I attempted to flash it. Before investing any more time troubleshooting, I figured I'd flash a 1.7 buildprop to test the theory that changing the version number would in fact allow the app to show up in the market. I think I'll look in to my error a bit more thoroughly now that I know changing the version will give me the desired results. I'll also try to edit the zefie's CM7 buildprop to see if I can get the app installed on that as well.

I ended up reflashing the 1.8 buildprop in the meantime, figuring I'd just keep up with the app manually and then flash the older buildprop when necessary to update the app. This way I'd avoid any undiscovered issues with running an older buildprop and I'd get to see if/when MLB fixes the issue.
I'll edit the buildprop, make it flashable, and sign it for you. Just stock ThundeROM buildprop correct? Not stagefright?

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'll edit the buildprop, make it flashable, and sign it for you. Just stock ThundeROM buildprop correct? Not stagefright?

I appreciate that! Actually, I do need stagefright - gotta have my NPR! I've already tested to verify that the MLB app works with stagefright.

Thanks!