Why am I getting messages saying I have less memory then I do?

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Lg F60 D390n memory problem

So i got this awesome mid-range Lg phone and so far i'm over-satisfied but i have an issue... It says the phone needs to have 4gb internal storage and i get to use onlu 1.3gb... When i check in settings>memory i get 4gb from which,among the junk,i get 2.8 gb system data... I tried factory reset once and it didn't fix it,and when i try switching to ART structure i get error-memory full and i can't... Most important,i have low memory for apps i use... Can anyone help?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lg F60 D390n memory problem

Welcome to Android Central! This is the main disadvantage of more inexpensive phones that come with minimal internal storage. Some of that internal storage needs to be used by the OS and any preinstalled bloatware, so the user is left with only about 1 GB to use. See this guide for more info and some tips on how to maximize your internal storage: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roid-memory-how-deal-low-memory-warnings.html

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the info man :) you see, as i went through your post i noticed my problem... In the last picture of the post right after "Here's a screenshot from my 2012 Nexus 7 running Jellybean 4.3, showing only the unified Internal Storage:" i see everything i have on my phone but the main difference is in MISC... When i tap on it it opens up SYSTEM DATA which is abnormally high... Yours is 164 MB mine is 2.29 GB! I can't open the system data folder to see what takes up so much nor empty it... Note that downloads and app cache are in the other categories in storage. I have no bloatware which is the weird part as i have all the Gapps i use pre-installed,i have no factory video player,gallery app,even i had to put a calculator myself!... I even tried switching to ART which was unsuccessful due to low memory with all but the factory apps unistalled... See for yourself:14+-+1.png That is the weird thing i cannot solve... On my previous phones(all LG) i have made root and cm install,removed bloatware but i never had a low memory issue afterwards... And now i have nothing to remove, my phone works almost perfectly all the time and i get only 1.3 GB for use with the option to move some apps to SD which basically saved me for my basic apps... And as it is one of the newest LG phones i have no system updates or anywhere to turn for help for that matter... I can't even find a descent case for it... I googled the problem for any phone(typed only the problem) and nothing came up with a solution that's why i started this topic in hope of finding any solution...

Frozen Xis

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site

the problem is not with your device ... yeah it has low internal memorry and yeah u can use a SD card .. but the reason why u cant download apps bigger then the rest of the memorry u got left it's because of the Android kitKat ... the google program wont alow the device to write on SD card check the web and search Android KitKat SD card problem or what ever ...
trust me i have the same phone and react like u at 1st but after ive documeted my self a lilbit ive understood that the OS is to blame and not the device

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Scroll back up a little bit on that screen--what does it tell you is the Total Space? Does it say 4 GB or 1.3 GB? My Nexus 5 reports 26 GB of Total Space, which means it's already accounting for the space taken up by the OS that is not usable by me. If your phone reports 4 GB of Total Space, that would mean that it isn't accounting for the space taken up by the OS--so perhaps it's listing it in the Misc category. It would be a little odd for different phones to account for the storage space in different ways, but it wouldn't be out of the question.

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

It says i have 4gb but i can use 1.3gb and in misc it says it's 2.29gb which is the thing that takes up the memory... I thinks it's wrongly particioned... I know a ROM could take up to 1gb including gapps and bloatware but the strange thing is that no bloatware is involved as i have none and if it is the ROM itself how could it take 2.29gb? Isn't that strange? And i so far have no explanation on fixing it...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

If your phone is advertised as having 4 GB, and your Storage screen says your total space is 4 GB, then I think the System Data of 2.29 GB represents your OS and related files. That would leave 1.3 GB available to you, which is what you're describing. Your phone just seems to be reporting things differently than my Nexus 5, but it still adds up.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Is it really causing a problem? Regardless of how it's reporting the information, you will still only have 1.3 GB of usable internal storage.

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Well i can't switch toa ART due to low memory and i can't use at least 2gb for apps etc as when cache builds up i have to clear it in order not to have problems with my storage

walterg1

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site

If you post the exact model of your phone it would help.
Also if you click on misc it will pull up a list.
That misc number is abnormally high.

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

My model is Lg F60 D390n and when i click on misc it opens a list but the first thing on the list is system data which is not accessible or deleteable and that is what takes up so much not the other files which are in kb :/

Last edited:

walterg1

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site

Very strange. I thought the only thing to show up in misc is temp files.
I have the LG Volt which is basically an updated F90 for the prepaid market.
Their are no system data files in misc on my phone.
I did run my Volt on Art Runtime, and it was faster and smoother, but most of my apps took up 10% more space.
So I'm not sure you would want to use it on a phone with 4gb rom.
The Volt has 8gb.

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

You see i tried ART with no other but system apps installed and it worked but i had to put it away to install other apps... Anyway i can't remove that pesky system data folder in misc and i can't see what's in it and ittakes up waaaay too much... I'm open for any kind of suggestions... Idk if rooting the device would help and idk if any root app would work...