V10 Audio Powerhouse: 32 bit Hi-Fi DAC by ESS Technology

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm excited about this phone with the announcement of the impressive audio specs. LG is not messing around with this one.

32 bit Hi-Fi DAC by ESS Technology

ESS Sabre 9018C2M digital to analog converter chip inside, as well as an ESS 9602C headphone amplifier.

These are some serious audio specs for those that like to listen to music and other media on their phone. A great chip by a great company with their amp to boot. Let's hope that it's well implemented.

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Yup, having used that DAC before it really is an outstanding audio experience. And it's pretty shocking to see it in a phone. The Quadbeat 3s that will come with the V10 are also very good IEMs, I'm really happy that LG is taking audio serious even if it is more of a niche market(audiophile community) so I pretty much have no choice but to show support with my wallet. The big lcd screen(hate amoled with a passion) and amazing camera are just icing on the cake. Oh and removable battery and expandable storage too? Sheesh I'm gonna line up outside the store like it's a damn iPhone

Knightstalker

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Would this benefit audio coming from spotify? I usually download my playlists to the device and use the phones included headphones... I'm really itching for this phone if the camera is as great as it seems.... trying to stay away from the Note5 which would be my only other choice (camera is priority for me)...

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
It would be a universal sound quality improvement with the ESS dac & amp if properly implemented. If not, the dev community would be able to fix that.

Last edited:

Abakash Palai

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
That's not right, if used through Bluetooth then the onboard dac and amplifier gets bypassed as it sends digital signal to the Bluetooth receiver where the DAC and the amplifier processes the digital data so the ESS dac that comes with V10 has no use in wireless/wired digital streaming whatsoever.

Source : I consider myself audiophile

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Would this benefit audio coming from spotify? I usually download my playlists to the device and use the phones included headphones... I'm really itching for this phone if the camera is as great as it seems.... trying to stay away from the Note5 which would be my only other choice (camera is priority for me)...

I just wanted to let you know we recently found out that the DAC only works with the stock LG music app. Sorry.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to let you know we recently found out that the DAC only works with the stock LG music app. Sorry.

I don't really understand how this restriction would work. For streaming it makes sense, the music is already converted (no DAC required) which is why streaming music quality is questioned. If you are using Bluetooth to listen to your streamed music through a car stereo or external speaker, same thing, it's streamed and already converted.

If you are using local digital files on your phone, they have to be converted to analog, regardless of the player. Unless there are two DAC's on the V10 (which wouldn't make any sense), the V10 would have to use the ESS DACC.

So, if I'm using my preferred music player (PowerAmp), listening to MP3/FLAC/digital file format of choice and using headphones, the V10 would have to use the ESS signal chain otherwise no music. I think the same would apply for using local digital media files with Bluetooth, has to be converted using the DAC.

Kevin Setiadi

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I don't really understand how this restriction would work. For streaming it makes sense, the music is already converted (no DAC required) which is why streaming music quality is questioned. If you are using Bluetooth to listen to your streamed music through a car stereo or external speaker, same thing, it's streamed and already converted..

Wait what? They still have to be converted because it's still digital signal. You seriously don't think that analog signal can be transmitted through the internet right?

Downloading music through Spotify is just like downloading through HDtracks or any sites. The different is that the files are encrypted with DRM.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Wait what? They still have to be converted because it's still digital signal. You seriously don't think that analog signal can be transmitted through the internet right?

Downloading music through Spotify is just like downloading through HDtracks or any sites. The different is that the files are encrypted with DRM.

You are absolutely right and it appears when I wrote that my head was in place it shouldn't have been!

Donkey Hodie

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

My head might be in the same place as LuvMusic's but I'm a bit confused. All music is digital regardless of source (HDtracks, Spotify, saved on the device, etc) and must be run through a DAC for playback. Does the statement that the V10 hi-rez DAC is only used for LG's music player application mean there is a second, low-rez DAC for decoding e.g., Spotify?

Knightstalker

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

meh... still not a huge deal breaker... i just got the note5 to try out from samsung... so lg has 30 days to release the v10 before i decide lol...

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My head might be in the same place as LuvMusic's but I'm a bit confused. All music is digital regardless of source (HDtracks, Spotify, saved on the device, etc) and must be run through a DAC for playback. Does the statement that the V10 hi-rez DAC is only used for LG's music player application mean there is a second, low-rez DAC for decoding e.g., Spotify?

The Hi-Fi ESS DAC & AMP is only enabled with the stock LG music app. The Qualcomm Snapdragon DAC is used for everything else. It would be a waste of battery to use the Hi-Fi DAC/AMP for everything, but we're still trying to figure out why it doesn't work with other music apps and we reached out to LG in hopes for an answer or possible patch.

Donkey Hodie

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
The Hi-Fi ESS DAC & AMP is only enabled with the stock LG music app. The Qualcomm Snapdragon DAC is used for everything else.
Thanks. It'd be nice if LG would make choice of DAC an option e.g., if the hi-rez setting in Spotify enabled the ESS DAC. Although in a lot of settings where I listen to Spotify audio quality doesn't matter so much, I'd like to be able to choose the hi-rez DAC when I'm in a place where I want to listen more critically.

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
You are absolutely right and it appears when I wrote that my head was in place it shouldn't have been!

Thanks. It'd be nice if LG would make choice of DAC an option e.g., if the hi-rez setting in Spotify enabled the ESS DAC. Although in a lot of settings where I listen to Spotify audio quality doesn't matter so much, I'd like to be able to choose the hi-rez DAC when I'm in a place where I want to listen more critically.

I can't imagine relying only on the LG music app. PowerAmp user here.

if this is true, i see XDA forums to the recuse with getting the DAC to work with 3rd party music apps

meh... still not a huge deal breaker... i just got the note5 to try out from samsung... so lg has 30 days to release the v10 before i decide lol...

Good news. It looks like our original source was wrong. More and more people that now own the V10 are reporting that the ESS DAC is universal - that it works with 3rd party apps including streaming. Reports are that streaming sounds spectacular too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non