01-05-2018 12:11 PM
67 123
tools
    I have some Bose over-ear headphones that I've been using for years and years with no issue. But every time I plug them into the LG V10, the Google Voice Input screen shows up (part of Google Now I believe). If my phone is locked, it starts talking to me about the things I can say into my microphone.

This is ridiculous, because this is as basic of a set of headphones as you can get, and clearly not a headset. It has 3 conductors (2 rings on the male 3.5mm connection). Headsets have 4 conductors (3 rings on the male 3.5mm connection). I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make this stop and it is driving me crazy.

03/28/2016 Edit: Marshmallow (Android 6.0) update has fixed this issue for me!
    05/12/2016 Edit: No it didn't.
    11-03-2015 03:55 PM
    I'm in the same situation. I work out with the phone in my pocket and the music would stop and I hear the robot digital assistant lady start talking.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-03-2015 03:57 PM
    It just told me how to enable wired headsets this time (weird), but it was talking too fast and I was not ready and missed the instructions.

Edit: It told me how to go enable searching through a wired headset while the device is locked. Not what I want.
    11-03-2015 04:01 PM
    11-04-2015 12:43 PM
    Mine did that the first few times I plugged in my headphones, now it went away. I remember one of my older phones did that too.
    11-04-2015 02:00 PM
    Please post if it comes back. Mine has not stopped since I got my phone.
    11-04-2015 03:01 PM
    Sounds like what I went through with my G3. Looks like they may be using the same auxiliary ports on these devices. Thankfully, my G4 has not had these issues at all!
    11-04-2015 03:14 PM
    Sounds like what I went through with my G3. Looks like they may be using the same auxiliary ports on these devices. Thankfully, my G4 has not had these issues at all!
    I had that issue with my G3 also
    11-04-2015 08:52 PM
    I'm curious, do you have the audio feature enabled within your accessibility options under settings?

I just checked with my Bose QC15's and no audio assist type prompts, just music (and I was using the cord with the in-line controls). Also have not experienced audio prompts with my Klipsch S4's.
    11-04-2015 09:07 PM
    I'm curious, do you have the audio feature enabled within your accessibility options under settings?

I just checked with my Bose QC15's and no audio assist type prompts, just music (and I was using the cord with the in-line controls). Also have not experienced audio prompts with my Klipsch S4's.
    I've checked every setting on my phone and I simply cannot get this to stop happening.
    11-06-2015 07:49 PM
    I'm re-bumping this to the top now that more people have this phone and have hopefully discovered this thread. I turned off my HiFi DAC, and the "headset" icon showed up in my notification bar. I am obviously not using a headset.

Issues when plugging in headphones-screenshot_2015-11-24-09-26-09-1.png

Edit: I found these two links to reddit posts regarding the G3 having the same issue. I've tried the app they suggest (SoundAbout) and it doesn't seem to work for me. I don't want another app having to run constantly in the background in order to do the simple task of correctly detecting my headphones. The one thing that I did get out of these posts is if I quickly and forcefully cram my headphones in, it detects them as headphones. So there's that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGG3/commen...dentifying_my/

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGG3/commen...er_headphones/
    11-24-2015 09:27 AM
    I'm re-bumping this to the top now that more people have this phone and have hopefully discovered this thread. I turned off my HiFi DAC, and the "headset" icon showed up in my notification bar. I am obviously not using a headset.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-24-09-26-09-1.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	206898

Edit: I found these two links to reddit posts regarding the G3 having the same issue. I've tried the app they suggest (SoundAbout) and it doesn't seem to work for me. I don't want another app having to run constantly in the background in order to do the simple task of correctly detecting my headphones. The one thing that I did get out of these posts is if I quickly and forcefully cram my headphones in, it detects them as headphones. So there's that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGG3/commen...dentifying_my/

https://www.reddit.com/r/LGG3/commen...er_headphones/
    I did have the same issue briefly on my V10. Funny part is, I have yet to figure out how to trigger the voice assistant on purpose (aside from "OK Google"). Anyways, After I adjust the settings you mentioned earlier, to allow headphone controls while the device is locked (my headphone had no such controls), the problem went away. If that doesn't fix the problem, try a full factory reset ( I know, that sucks). If it still doesn't go away, warranty it out. Perhaps there is a real problem with your phone.
    11-24-2015 12:25 PM
    I just noticed this the other day. I had only used bluetooth for music streaming until last night. I plugged my phone into my car stereo, and I heard a woman's voice but I had no idea what it was. It only lasted a couple of seconds and the music played fine. Seemed like a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things, but it would be nice if it didn't do it. I'll keep my eyes on this post tho, to see if a solution pops up or if I run across a solution.
    11-24-2015 12:31 PM
    Now that this phone has been out there for another month, has anyone experienced this? It has still been happening to me. Every time I plug in my headphones, the google app launches and listens for my command. Then when I say nothing, it says "If you just said something, I didn't hear what it was."
    12-21-2015 09:47 AM
    This must be frustrating for you. I have not experienced the problem. What music player are you using?
    12-21-2015 10:10 AM
    This must be frustrating for you. I have not experienced the problem. What music player are you using?
    Google Play Music, Amazon Music
    12-21-2015 10:40 AM
    I was having the exact same issue with my LG G4 and it was driving me nuts! I think I've eventually found the setting that stops it. No doubt there'll be a difference on your phone, but it might give you an idea where to look.

Go to: General settings > Language & Input > Speech - Voice Search > Hands Free then make sure "Wired Headsets" is disabled.

Hope that helps, I know how irritating that robot is!
    01-29-2016 08:43 AM
    I was having the exact same issue with my LG G4 and it was driving me nuts! I think I've eventually found the setting that stops it. No doubt there'll be a difference on your phone, but it might give you an idea where to look.

Go to: General settings > Language & Input > Speech - Voice Search > Hands Free then make sure "Wired Headsets" is disabled.

Hope that helps, I know how irritating that robot is!
    I tried that ages ago, unfortunately. It's been disabled (unchecked) for weeks and weeks now. Still does it every time I plug in headphones.
    01-29-2016 09:20 AM
    Just tried it again.

Open Google Noise
    Unsuccessful Google Noise
    "If you just said something, I didn't hear what it was"
    01-29-2016 09:22 AM
    When you are listening to music, does it cut out from time to time. Like just stops play all on its own??

01-30-2016 03:26 AM
    Happens to me too. Highly aggravating.

02-01-2016 01:21 AM
    Me, also.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s that I sometimes try to wear while taking the dog for a walk, and my phone will start/stop over and over and over again until I get mad and unplug it just to stop the annoyance (hitting "stop" in the music app doesn't do any good). The Google Voice screen will also pop up randomly, even if I'm trying very hard to keep from moving the phone (like when watching something on Hulu while laying in bed).

The only thing I can figure is that the headphone plug is making intermittent connection with the ground or mic contact in the headphone jack of the phone. The way you can cause the play/pause feature to work is by shorting the mic contact to ground for a short period of time, then returning to an open state. When you are using headphones that don't have a mic or remote (that is, they use a 3-conductor, or TRS plug) the mic contact is always shorted to ground. So in order for this to happen, the headphone has to lose contact with either ground or mic, then make contact again for a short period, then lose contact again, which fools the phone into believing that you just hit the play/pause button (then possibly causing it to think that you are continually holding the button down again after having let go or making the phone think that you quickly plugged in a different set of headphones that don't have a mic).

In order for the Google Voice search screen to pop up, the only difference is that the period of time that the mic and ground contacts were shorted -- in between the losses of contact -- lasts a little longer. You can hold the play/pause button for a couple of seconds (maybe less) on a headset with a remote to cause Google Voice to pop up normally.

Edit: sorry, didn't realize this one got posted... I meant to not post it and finish a more comprehensive post later (which you can see below), so if someone could delete this one for me, that would be great. Otherwise, I hope you all can forgive my double-post)
    02-02-2016 01:15 AM
    When you are listening to music, does it cut out from time to time. Like just stops play all on its own??

It's usually fine after I dismiss the original Google Voice interruption. Doesn't happen again.

I did notice in the car the other day while hooked up to AUX that when I moved my phone the wrong way that it would interrupt, but it doesn't do that when I'm listening to music at work.
    02-02-2016 12:22 PM
    Me, also.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s that I sometimes try to wear while taking the dog for a walk, and my phone will start/stop over and over and over again until I get mad and unplug it just to stop the annoyance (hitting "stop" in the music app doesn't do any good). The Google Voice screen will also pop up randomly, even if I'm trying very hard to keep from moving the phone (like when watching something on Hulu while laying in bed).

The only thing I can figure is that the headphone plug is making intermittent connection with the ground or mic contact in the headphone jack of the phone. The headphone plug can be laid out in two different ways: Tip, ring, sleeve; or tip, ring, ring, sleeve. A normal headphone plug (with no mic or remote) uses the tip for the left speaker, the ring for the right, and the sleeve for common ground of both speakers. A headset uses the tip for left audio, the first ring for right audio, and the second ring and sleeve for the mic and a common ground for both speakers and the mic (there are two different standards for whether the second ring or the sleeve is the mic or ground, but no matter which way these are laid out, shorting the two of them together produces the same result). The way you can cause the play/pause feature to work is by shorting the mic contact to ground for a short period of time, then returning to an open state. When you are using headphones that don't have a mic or remote (that is, they use a 3-conductor, or TRS plug) the mic contact is always shorted to ground. So in order for this to happen, the headphone has to lose contact with ground and/or mic, then make contact between the two again for a short period, then lose contact again, which fools the phone into believing that you just hit the play/pause button. In order for the Google Voice search screen to pop up, the only difference is that the period of time that the mic and ground contacts were shorted -- in between the losses of contact -- lasts a little longer. You can hold the play/pause button for a couple of seconds (maybe less) on a headset with a remote to cause Google Voice to pop up normally.

I have noticed, at least with my phone, that the amount of play in the headphone jack is pretty extreme. That means that just stressing the headphone plug from one angle to the opposing angle could cause this open-short-open circuit to happen. Imagine a pair of pencils on a desk with a ruler laid across them. If the plug is at an angle, only one is making contact (imagine for the sake of argument that the underscore is "making contact" and the hyphen "isn't"):
    _____---------
    .....O......O.....

Then, as the plug starts moving, they both make contact:

This is where the phone says "Hey, they are pressing the play/pause button!" Now, the plug finally gets pushed all the way to the opposite side:
    --------______
    .....O......O.....

And once again you have an open circuit and this tells the phone that you "pressed and released the play/pause button." If the amount of time that the middle position was held lasted longer than a normal short click, the phone reads that as meaning that you wanted to bring up the Google Voice app. This what I believe is happening in some of our phones. When I plug in a pair of Bose in-ear headphones, I don't have any issues, because the mic and ground contacts never get shorted together unless the play/pause button is pressed AND the headphone plug is making contact with all four jack contacts, so no matter how I wiggle the plug, nothing happens.

One possible fix would be to create a short cable with a TRS jack and a TRRS plug, and never connect the second ring or the sleeve (pick one) of the jack to the sleeve of the plug (normal adapters would connect both the second ring and the sleeve of the jack to the sleeve of the plug). I'll have to order some parts to see if I can make this work, and will try to remember to get back here to report whether it works. My only worry is that not connecting the mic and ground together will cause the phone to be confused as to whether or not a TRS or TRRS jack has been plugged in. Apple devices do a series of checks to figure out what has been plugged in, and this could cause an Apple device to not output any sound to the headphone jack. I'm not sure if Android phones do a similar check, or if they simply believe the "jack sense" output of modern headphone jacks (most 1/8" [3.5mm] headphones jacks have a separate pin that gets shorted to ground [I believe] when a headphone plug is inserted into the jack to notify to the device that it should reroute sound output from the internal speaker to the headphone jack).

Edit: Please reply if you know any of what I just said to be false. I haven't gone looking for datasheets on anything, and only did a cursory glance at what the internet claims to be true about the layout of TRRS plugs via Google image search. Most of what I have said is just "the way I understand things to be", and I have been proven wrong on my assumptions about other things before.
    Sovereign16 and Doublethumbs like this.
    02-02-2016 03:45 PM
    Me, also.

The only thing I can figure is that the headphone plug is making intermittent connection with the ground or mic contact in the headphone jack of the phone. The headphone plug can be laid out in two different ways: Tip, ring, sleeve; or tip, ring, ring, sleeve. A normal headphone plug (with no mic or remote) uses the tip for the left speaker, the ring for the right, and the sleeve for common ground of both speakers. A headset uses the tip for left audio, the first ring for right audio, and the second ring and sleeve for the mic and a common ground for both speakers and the mic (there are two different standards for whether the second ring or the sleeve is the mic or ground, but no matter which way these are laid out, shorting the two of them together produces the same result). The way you can cause the play/pause feature to work is by shorting the mic contact to ground for a short period of time, then returning to an open state. When you are using headphones that don't have a mic or remote (that is, they use a 3-conductor, or TRS plug) the mic contact is always shorted to ground. So in order for this to happen, the headphone has to lose contact with ground and/or mic, then make contact between the two again for a short period, then lose contact again, which fools the phone into believing that you just hit the play/pause button. In order for the Google Voice search screen to pop up, the only difference is that the period of time that the mic and ground contacts were shorted -- in between the losses of contact -- lasts a little longer. You can hold the play/pause button for a couple of seconds (maybe less) on a headset with a remote to cause Google Voice to pop up normally.

I have noticed, at least with my phone, that the amount of play in the headphone jack is pretty extreme. That means that just stressing the headphone plug from one angle to the opposing angle could cause this open-short-open circuit to happen. Imagine a pair of pencils on a desk with a ruler laid across them. If the plug is at an angle, only one is making contact (imagine for the sake of argument that the underscore is "making contact" and the hyphen "isn't"):
    _____---------
    .....O......O.....

Then, as the plug starts moving, they both make contact:

This is where the phone says "Hey, they are pressing the play/pause button!" Now, the plug finally gets pushed all the way to the opposite side:
    --------______
    .....O......O.....

And once again you have an open circuit and this tells the phone that you "pressed and released the play/pause button." If the amount of time that the middle position was held lasted longer than a normal short click, the phone reads that as meaning that you wanted to bring up the Google Voice app. This what I believe is happening in some of our phones. When I plug in a pair of Bose in-ear headphones, I don't have any issues, because the mic and ground contacts never get shorted together unless the play/pause button is pressed AND the headphone plug is making contact with all four jack contacts, so no matter how I wiggle the plug, nothing happens.

One possible fix would be to create a short cable with a TRS jack and a TRRS plug, and never connect the second ring or the sleeve (pick one) of the jack to the sleeve of the plug (normal adapters would connect both the second ring and the sleeve of the jack to the sleeve of the plug). I'll have to order some parts to see if I can make this work, and will try to remember to get back here to report whether it works. My only worry is that not connecting the mic and ground together will cause the phone to be confused as to whether or not a TRS or TRRS jack has been plugged in. Apple devices do a series of checks to figure out what has been plugged in, and this could cause an Apple device to not output any sound to the headphone jack. I'm not sure if Android phones do a similar check, or if they simply believe the "jack sense" output of modern headphone jacks (most 1/8" [3.5mm] headphones jacks have a separate pin that gets shorted to ground [I believe] when a headphone plug is inserted into the jack to notify to the device that it should reroute sound output from the internal speaker to the headphone jack).

Edit: Please reply if you know any of what I just said to be false. I haven't gone looking for datasheets on anything, and only did a cursory glance at what the internet claims to be true about the layout of TRRS plugs via Google image search. Most of what I have said is just "the way I understand things to be", and I have been proven wrong on my assumptions about other things before.
    I read a little bit about this in the Reddit posts I linked WAAAAY ABOVE. I bet that is the issue. Is the TRS male to TRRS female not something that exists already?
    02-05-2016 01:33 PM
67 123