Looked at HiFi headphones today.... Wow.....

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
There is an entire universe I did not know existed. The DAC on this phone is the tip of the iceberg. Closed Headphones. Open headphones. In Ear Monitors (apparently called IEMs). Tube headphone amplifiers. I like good sounding music but I feel like I was living under a rock. Some of these headphones are $1,800!

I may have stumbled on something here that has the potential to cost a lot of money. I'm afraid to turn on the DAC on this phone which I have still not tried yet. If you don't believe me, go to r/headphones on Reddit.

Now I need to see which impedance headphones can be driven by this phone. I'm learning about open and closed sound fields. Who knew.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There is an entire universe I did not know existed. The DAC on this phone is the tip of the iceberg. Closed Headphones. Open headphones. In Ear Monitors (apparently called IEMs). Tube headphone amplifiers. I like good sounding music but I feel like I was living under a rock. Some of these headphones are $1,800!

I may have stumbled on something here that has the potential to cost a lot of money. I'm afraid to turn on the DAC on this phone which I have still not tried yet. If you don't believe me, go to r/headphones on Reddit.

Now I need to see which impedance headphones can be driven by this phone. I'm learning about open and closed sound fields. Who knew.

There's a lot if good stuff out there without spending anywhere near that much. The DAC actually makes mediocre headphones sound better.

BigRalphN

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I have about 8 different iEMs, and two sets of studio over the ear closed cans. One is medium grade and one higher end. I also have one tube headphone amplifier that I used to warm up my previous phone and allow me to push the closed backs. I have Polk Audio towers for my main speakers in the house. While the model cabbie had somewhat cheaovsince they are older, they were quite expensive new. They can be bi-amped, meaning highs have one amplifier, lows another amplifier. I am not currently doing that. They get insanely load and still retain fidelity. You are right. It gets crazy. I am a musician and former studio and live sound engineer so I hate crappy sound. The LG V20 is the best sounding phone to date. Even with mp3s which are not great sounding to begin with.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I am active in that site and also the V20 thread. If I can answer any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

I need a good bass one. I narrowed it down to the Oppo Pm3 but read some reviews that they weren't that great gor bass tone. Any other over ear ones that you can recommend? I would prefer anything in the $400 range or below. Thanks.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Am i the only one that cant tell a huge difference? Im excited to get the new b&o but on my samsungs i dont hear a huge upgrade.

The difference is in the file format. If you only stream music there is really no difference. Streaming music is only in mp3 format which isn't really good. To hear a difference you need to download the music in a FLAC(lossless audio codec) format. Then play it through a decent media player with a decent set of headphones. Be warned FLAC files are not small and one album can easily exceed 1gb. I dare say this sounds even better than my HTC 10.

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I need a good bass one. I narrowed it down to the Oppo Pm3 but read some reviews that they weren't that great gor bass tone. Any other over ear ones that you can recommend? I would prefer anything in the $400 range or below. Thanks.

Good bass... VModa M100. The Oppo PM-3 are a not really a basshead hp.

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm currently using Over Ear wired Sennheiser MOMENTUM v1 . Is V2 noticeable upgrade?.

For me it was night and day. On the M2 the earcups have more depth and for that the treble does not roll off as strongly as it did in the original. I truly love the M2. It is my go to in the wireless version, however I think the wired version have a better sound quality even compared to the wireless version wired. I did not care for the original Momentum.

jerrygno2

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree with V-Moda. The M100s are great for good clear bass and have several accessories like the boompro mic that I use all the time...

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok last question....are people just blindly buying these headphones without trying them first? Is there somewhere like a brick and mortar store to try them? Thanks....

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok last question....are people just blindly buying these headphones without trying them first? Is there somewhere like a brick and mortar store to try them? Thanks....

Some people are lucky to have shops that carry some, but most are blind buys with a return policy.

Once you get your first set it's easier to tell what you'll like based on what other people say relative to those.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The difference is in the file format. If you only stream music there is really no difference. Streaming music is only in mp3 format which isn't really good. To hear a difference you need to download the music in a FLAC(lossless audio codec) format. Then play it through a decent media player with a decent set of headphones. Be warned FLAC files are not small and one album can easily exceed 1gb. I dare say this sounds even better than my HTC 10.

I hear the difference with MP3 files. Not so much with streaming mp3 files, however the higher bitrate files are pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jannel91