Damning with faint praise

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Anything not Samsung or Apple may as well be considered a "niche" market in the grand scheme of things. The V20 could be the best thing out there by all metrics (even the subjective ones) and I'm sure you'd still find condescending reviews. It's just how the market seems to go.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... Samsung and Apple pretty much rules now... Any phone can be arguably better and many reviewers will find a way to say it is on the same level as Samsung and/or Apple rather than say it's better

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
A few years back I went from the Note 1 to the Optimus G Pro by LG a great alternative to the Note 2 which at the time I wasn't impressed by. No one heard of this phone and I believe it only came out on AT&T my carrier. Got a wireless charging case for it and loved it but almost no one had heard of it. So now I'm going from a Note 7 to the V20 so I'm happy not everyone and their brother will have one like an Iphone. But I will sure miss my Note 7.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This reminds me, I wonder how many people will mistake this for an iPhone. I remember reading that happened a lot when the G4 (I think) came out. Lol

BB_Bmore

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm not saying this because I bought the phone but there is no doubt in my mind this is the best phone money can buy currently. I could have gotten a pixel but I did some thorough research and lg really nailed this device. The only thing I can think of people honestly complaining about is the size (which I love) but some won't. This phone is brilliantly done. Feature not gimmick rich!

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Anything not Samsung or Apple may as well be considered a "niche" market in the grand scheme of things. The V20 could be the best thing out there by all metrics (even the subjective ones) and I'm sure you'd still find condescending reviews. It's just how the market seems to go.
it's not so much that they're the market leaders, Apple and Samsung gives their customers what they want. I have a note 4 but will be getting the V20

William Nale

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
My V20 arrives on Wednesday. I have a G5 now after coming from a Note 4 (ruined by the marshmallow update). No way would I go back to the "iWay or the Highway" iPhone.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
it's not so much that they're the market leaders, Apple and Samsung gives their customers what they want. I have a note 4 but will be getting the V20
After reading so many former Samsung users here talking about how much they are liking the V20, many even more than the N7, Sammy better be paying attention. Starting sound like the people are preferring the added features and more natural colors of the LCD screen of the V20. Ok, so the stylus was cool, but I guess the real question is how many people are willing to give up the IR blaster, better sound, natural screen colors, full manual camera controls, and of course removable battery just to get a pretty phone with a stylus? Now if LG steps up its game by making the Stylo into a flagship line, they may become the new Android block leader.

I'm not simply hating on Samsung here. This is just based on my observations from other members that have moved to the V20 and are loving it.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
After reading so many former Samsung users here talking about how much they are liking the V20, many even more than the N7, Sammy better be paying attention. Starting sound like the people are preferring the added features and more natural colors of the LCD screen of the V20. Ok, so the stylus was cool, but I guess the real question is how many people are willing to give up the IR blaster, better sound, natural screen colors, full manual camera controls, and of course removable battery just to get a pretty phone with a stylus? Now if LG steps up its game by making the Stylo into a flagship line, they may become the new Android block leader.

I'm not simply hating on Samsung here. This is just based on my observations from other members that have moved to the V20 and are loving it.
I must admit, the V20 has really opened my eyes. All I used the spen for was screen capturing and writing notes on it. This phone has that capture app that does the exact t same thing.

This phone is definitely a flagship. Dare I say, THE current flagship. In many ways I have already forgot about the Note 7. You are right.... Samsung better be paying attention. If the V30 has wireless charging and sacrifices a removable battery for water resistance.... Look out.... It will be a new world. As it is.... It's a new world now.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If the V30 has wireless charging and sacrifices a removable battery for water resistance....

If they do that, I'll jump ship. I've tried non-removable twice before and they caused problems both times. 3 times of you count the N7 my wife had that was traded in before it had a chance to go poof. Yeah, not a fan of them by any means.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
LG has had some recent missteps with the LG G4 bootloop issue and the poor execution of modularity with the G5. It does sound like the V20 is an excellent phone though.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Every oem gives their customers what they want... That's why they continue to get them... It's just how the market works, something(s) have to sell better than others

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If they do that, I'll jump ship. I've tried non-removable twice before and they caused problems both times. 3 times of you count the N7 my wife had that was traded in before it had a chance to go poof. Yeah, not a fan of them by any means.

I think if someone really wanted to they could make it removable battery and water resistant, but that would sacrifice some other things.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I think if someone really wanted to they could make it removable battery and water resistant, but that would sacrifice some other things.

Galaxy S5 was water resistant and had removable battery and SD card. And for the record, I hated that phone and it's stupid little rubber cap that went over the charging port.

William Nale

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
I know I'm going to love my V20. I'm already familiar with it due to using a G5 since July. I love this phone, but I wanted the bigger screen after coming from a Note 4. No way was I buying a $600-$800 with a non replaceable battery or non expandable memory. I already know how fast and smooth the processor is, how good the camera is, and a lot of neat useful features it has. Hopefully there will be waterproof cases available for V20 before long. I have a 128gb msd card coming along with a case.
Come on Wednesday!