11-01-2016 03:25 PM
62 123
tools
    I am in pickle now...

I borrowed my co-worker's spanking new LG V20 and played with it for a day. (while she played with my new Google Pixel XL)

This morning, I was getting out of bed and accidentally pushed the V20 off the nightstand while I was turning off the clock radio. It fell 2.5 feet on the carpet. It went straight down and landed with the front screen face down. I did not panic because the V20 was in the Otterbox Defender case. (even without a case, I figured falling 2.5 feet on carpet wouldn't have done any damage) In fact, there was almost no sound at all because it landed on the carpet.

Imagine my shocked when I went to pick it up and noticed that the rear camera glass was cracked.(like a y-shaped cracked) I'm positive it wasn't cracked last night because I have several pictures that I took last night that looked perfect and didn't show anything. With the crack, every new picture came out with the upper left side somewhat blurry.

Went into the office and gave my co-worker the bad news. She practically went into a full panic until she remembered that she did have Asurion on her account. During lunch, she called them and as told that the deductible was $199 and a NEW V20 would be shipped to her via overnight. (new because the V20 is still new and they have no refurbished units to ship out) She gave me the news and I agreed to pay the deductible. I wrote her a $199 check and she should have the phone by Monday.(because of the weekend)

Can someone explain to me how the crack was even possible? I'm not trying to get out of paying the $199. The phone was in my possession, so I would be the one to accept the blame... I'm just very confused. The V20 landed on it's front screen and it was only 2.5 feet on carpet... not to mention that it was in a super-rugged Otterbox Defender case.
    Glass_Rain likes this.
    10-28-2016 11:28 PM
    Look on here...there are at least 2 threads the camera screen cracking....
    10-29-2016 12:16 AM
    I am in pickle now...

I borrowed my co-worker's spanking new LG V20 and played with it for a day. (while she played with my new Google Pixel XL)

This morning, I was getting out of bed and accidentally pushed the V20 off the nightstand while I was turning off the clock radio. It fell 2.5 feet on the carpet. It went straight down and landed with the front screen face down. I did not panic because the V20 was in the Otterbox Defender case. (even without a case, I figured falling 2.5 feet on carpet wouldn't have done any damage) In fact, there was almost no sound at all because it landed on the carpet.

Imagine my shocked when I went to pick it up and noticed that the rear camera glass was cracked.(like a y-shaped cracked) I'm positive it wasn't cracked last night because I have several pictures that I took last night that looked perfect and didn't show anything. With the crack, every new picture came out with the upper left side somewhat blurry.

Went into the office and gave my co-worker the bad news. She practically went into a full panic until she remembered that she did have Asurion on her account. During lunch, she called them and as told that the deductible was $199 and a NEW V20 would be shipped to her via overnight. (new because the V20 is still new and they have no refurbished units to ship out) She gave me the news and I agreed to pay the deductible. I wrote her a $199 check and she should have the phone by Monday.(because of the weekend)

Can someone explain to me how the crack was even possible? I'm not trying to get out of paying the $199. The phone was in my possession, so I would be the one to accept the blame... I'm just very confused. The V20 landed on it's front screen and it was only 2.5 feet on carpet... not to mention that it was in a super-rugged Otterbox Defender case.
    Will she give you the V20?
    10-29-2016 01:22 AM
    Will she give you the V20?
    Why? She already gave me back my Pixel XL. She said loved her V20 because it would match the new Macbook Pro with Touch Bar that she pre-ordered yesterday.
    reintgenrc likes this.
    10-29-2016 01:50 AM
    Sorry to hear about your expensive mishap man!!

I blindly ran my finger across my camera lense nervously checking for a shatter as I was reading the OP, Thankfully all is good and no lense mishap with v20 (today) but it sucks having to stress about this delicate lense.

I know we have the "oh there ain't nothing wrong and all glass breaks" or "it's an easy fix" crowd but that is BS in my opinion. Same denial happened when the N7 battery fire reports started to pop. You don't see this lense break happening with the other new phones. Lense is most definitely the weak link and headache with this V20. Not acceptable for a $800+ device, who wants to walk on egg shells with a phone. Hopefully LG addresses the flaw.

I like this V20. I have about 5 days to decide what to do, sadly ONCE AGAIN. It was just a few weeks ago I handed over my Note 7 and confidently thought I could end the phone drama and settle in with a solid trouble free V20.

I never once considered an IPhone, NEVER and probably never will, but it did cross my mind. Not only are phone manufacturers losing customers to the IPhone, android will too. After the last two shady flagship released in the last few months I bet a good percentage abandon android all together and run to the semi solid iPhone and the OS that comes with it. Looks like 2016 is a bad year for phones. I have purchased faulty tech in the past and understand failure happens but not on a rate like this!!
    Joeykool likes this.
    10-29-2016 02:40 AM
    I am in pickle now...

I've had the same experience almost exactly... Except.mine was an ASUS Zenpad8... It was crushing to see the fractured face... 😲😱😩
    10-29-2016 03:43 AM
    This is not a good thing with this phone what a shame. I love the v20 but this is a concern and honestly LG should consider this being a defect this should replace for free
    10-29-2016 07:43 AM
    Sorry to hear about your expensive mishap man!!

I blindly ran my finger across my camera lense nervously checking for a shatter as I was reading the OP, Thankfully all is good and no lense mishap with v20 (today) but it sucks having to stress about this delicate lense.

I know we have the "oh there ain't nothing wrong and all glass breaks" or "it's an easy fix" crowd but that is BS in my opinion. Same denial happened when the N7 battery fire reports started to pop. You don't see this lense break happening with the other new phones. Lense is most definitely the weak link and headache with this V20. Not acceptable for a $800+ device, who wants to walk on egg shells with a phone. Hopefully LG addresses the flaw.

I like this V20. I have about 5 days to decide what to do, sadly ONCE AGAIN. It was just a few weeks ago I handed over my Note 7 and confidently thought I could end the phone drama and settle in with a solid trouble free V20.

I never once considered an IPhone, NEVER and probably never will, but it did cross my mind. Not only are phone manufacturers losing customers to the IPhone, android will too. After the last two shady flagship released in the last few months I bet a good percentage abandon android all together and run to the semi solid iPhone and the OS that comes with it. Looks like 2016 is a bad year for phones. I have purchased faulty tech in the past and understand failure happens but not on a rate like this!!
    This is exactly how I feel.
    I started the topic anybody returning the v20 after the screen crack issue and some people thought I was crazy. After a bunch of people said it was just a freak thing etc. I calmed down a bit and dismissed it. But I really think this is an issue and im worried. I love this phone and really don't want to get rid of it......I'm so confused what to do....?
    10-29-2016 08:10 AM
    All LG has to do is promise to cover the cost rather than customers having to pay for deductibles and repairs. Catch is if not something the customer can fix without tech effort, this is no different than the Note 7 in having to send the device back.

This could end up being similar to Samsung, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. All depends of course does the issue grow as more devices used and how LG chooses to manage it. After the Note 7 debacle carriers would bail on the V20, IF this issue becomes a real problem and LG does not respond.
    Joeykool likes this.
    10-29-2016 08:26 AM
    Ever since I started reading the threads about the breaking glass I've been neurotic about it. I check the lens after almost any even slightly hard set down. It's to the point of if I lightly bump it into table while it's in my pocket I have to check it. Tired of having to worry about if my phone is go break or start to sizzle in my pocket.. Or worse my kids hands.. Yeah, previous n7 owner.
    Joeykool and Glass_Rain like this.
    10-29-2016 08:38 AM
    It's only a matter of time....
    10-29-2016 08:49 AM
    It's only a matter of time....
    The only way I consider going back is if the next iPhone has an AMOLED display and wireless charging. They got close this year with the water resistance and stereo sound. I haven't had one since the 3GS.
    10-29-2016 09:47 AM
    The only way I consider going back is if the next iPhone has an AMOLED display and wireless charging. They got close this year with the water resistance and stereo sound. I haven't had one since the 3GS.
    chazglenn3 likes this.
    10-29-2016 09:53 AM
    I am in pickle now...

If your story is true, can you post pictures? Thanks!
    10-29-2016 10:14 AM
    Looks like durability is going to be a big factor for next year's devices.
    10-29-2016 10:27 AM
    Had the V20 been my own phone, I would have fought with LG to get a FREE replacement phone. Based on other stories I've read this morning, it seemed like the camera glass might have been under too much stress when LG installed them?(or just the way the glass was designed?)

However, it was my co-worker's phone and it broke while I was borrowing it. It cracked while under my care, for whatever reason. I didn't want to cause her any more troubles by prolonging the ordeal. I just sucked it up and paid the $199 deductible that she had to pay Asurion. Fortunately, she just texted me and Asurion sent her the tracking info which indicated the new replacement V20 would arrive by 10:30AM on Monday.
    10-29-2016 10:33 AM
    Had the V20 been my own phone, I would have fought with LG to get a FREE replacement phone. Based on other stories I've read this morning, it seemed like the camera glass might have been under too much stress when LG installed them?(or just the way the glass was designed?)

However, it was my co-worker's phone and it broke while I was borrowing it. It cracked while under my care, for whatever reason. I didn't want to cause her any more troubles by prolonging the ordeal. I just sucked it up and paid the $199 deductible that she had to pay Asurion. Fortunately, she just texted me and Asurion sent her the tracking info which indicated the new replacement V20 would arrive by 10:30AM on Monday.
    So you guys had a chance to try both what one won you over ?
    10-29-2016 10:47 AM

If your story is true, can you post pictures of the phone and broken screen?
    10-29-2016 11:10 AM
    So you guys had a chance to try both what one won you over ?
    Don't flame me.. but the Note 7 is(was) still the king.

I only buy white phones. (or at least those with white bezels in front) Otherwise, I would love to get a V20. Not sure what LG was thinking... they had a lovely white V10 before.... I also absolutely love the removable battery.

I like my Pixel XL just fine. Only 1 complaint. My last few phones were all Samsung and all water resistant. It makes me a little nervous when I use my current Pixel XL anywhere near water. Rain, water bottles, coffees, sink, toilet, etc....
    10-29-2016 12:46 PM
    Don't flame me.. but the Note 7 is(was) still the king.

I only buy white phones. (or at least those with white bezels in front) Otherwise, I would love to get a V20. Not sure what LG was thinking... they had a lovely white V10 before.... I also absolutely love the removable battery.

I like my Pixel XL just fine. Only 1 complaint. My last few phones were all Samsung and all water resistant. It makes me a little nervous when I use my current Pixel XL anywhere near water. Rain, water bottles, coffees, sink, toilet, etc....
    Yeah be careful near the toilet haha lol
    10-29-2016 02:45 PM
    The slim narrow bezels on the silver LG V20 practically look white when you look at the phone, if you are still interested.
    10-29-2016 03:01 PM
    I was going to say the same thing
    10-29-2016 04:22 PM
    Yeah be careful near the toilet haha lol
    tadpoles and Wiley_11 like this.
    10-29-2016 04:23 PM
    10-29-2016 04:39 PM
    I have the otterbox defender on mine
    10-29-2016 06:01 PM
62 123