LG TONE PLATINUM HBS-1100 + LG V20 = Amazing sound for wireless Bluetooth!

AQPerry

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Just got around to actually trying out my Tone Platinum's with the V20 and all I can say is wowwwwww! I know it doesn't have the Dec support being wireless but it's a huge, and I mean really huge improvement over using them with my former Galaxy S6E+ or my recalled Galaxy Note 7's,if you like to rock wireless wireless ear buds and have the V20 this is a must have combination, I finally feel that they were well worth the upgrade over my old LG TONE Infinum HBS-900 and old faithful LG Tone HBS-730's!

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just got around to actually trying out my Tone Platinum's with the V20 and all I can say is wowwwwww! I know it doesn't have the Dec support being wireless but it's a huge, and I mean really huge improvement over using them with my former Galaxy S6E+ or my recalled Galaxy Note 7's,if you like to rock wireless wireless ear buds and have the V20 this is a must have combination, I finally feel that they were well worth the upgrade over my old LG TONE Infinum HBS-900 and old faithful LG Tone HBS-730's!
What??? Something is wrong with my ears then.....lmao. They sound like crapola to me with the LG V20 a little bit clearer than the N7 but still like crapola.... I will say this LG's headphones are die hard long lasting. I mean I have had every single wireless ear buds, Beats, Bose, Apple, Samsung earbuds but LG's don't die on u and battery is amazing. I use them as my headphones for work. So they go through the wringer with me. But for music they sound bad....

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
What??? Something is wrong with my ears then.....lmao. They sound like crapola to me with the LG V20 a little bit clearer than the N7 but still like crapola.... I will say this LG's headphones are die hard long lasting. I mean I have had every single wireless ear buds, Beats, Bose, Apple, Samsung earbuds but LG's don't die on u and battery is amazing. I use them as my headphones for work. So they go through the wringer with me. But for music they sound bad....

Are you sure you're using the tone platinums? The tone standards use what I'm guessing are lg speakers in the earpiece but the platinums have a Harmon kardon setup. Could be why. But again, I'm not sure what exact model you have

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Are you sure you're using the tone platinums? The tone standards use what I'm guessing are lg speakers in the earpiece but the platinums have a Harmon kardon setup. Could be why. But again, I'm not sure what exact model you have
Harmon Kardons are over rated. Just because these earphones are a name brand does not make these ear phones any better than the rest

AQPerry

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
From the LG Tone Platinum's webpage:

"Paired with the LG G5, and enabled with the revolutionary Qualcomm® apt-X™ HD codec, you can bask in the sheer superiority of a 24 bit audiophile experience in total wireless comfort."

That's what makes this combo sound so good together, although it's not been mentioned much but the V20 supports the aptx HD codec just like the G5 and I think it's pretty exclusive to them for their phones and the infinum/platinum Bluetooth headphones so that it only kicks in with the LG to LG combination.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
My Samsung level u pros have aptX and that is were the WOW comes in play with the V20 over the standard BT.

I wore a pair of tones at work and the range was horrible (model down from the platinum). I couldn't set my phone down in a safe spot and get 5 feet away before BT crackled and broke up. I returned them and purchased the Level U's. Range is excellent. Level U were fair sounding with the note 7, then I tried with the V20 and they sound GREAT.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I have the Tone Platinum HBS-1100, I hope those are the ones we are both talking about. I don't know maybe mine are defect....I have to push them all the way in to somewhat hear a little bit of bass. The Beats I have are way more superior in sound but I am already on a replaced pair under a year, they don't hold up well. Same with the Bose I had as well.

AQPerry

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the Tone Platinum HBS-1100, I hope those are the ones we are both talking about. I don't know maybe mine are defect....I have to push them all the way in to somewhat hear a little bit of bass. The Beats I have are way more superior in sound but I am already on a replaced pair under a year, they don't hold up well. Same with the Bose I had as well.

Right the HBS-1100 are the Platinum's, Aptx HD is an newer advanced codec over the standard aptx, they are two totally different codecs, I have both the Infinums and the Platinum's and when I turn on my Platinum headphones I get the aptx HD popup on my V20 the Infinums don't. You should get the aptx HD popup on your screen when you pair like in thepicture below, try using Google Play Music at high quality streaming or any high quality bit rate MP3's and see if you notice a difference in sound quality that's where I've noticed the difference.

Here's another quick article about the Aptx HD Codec and it's features:

http://www.whathifi.com/advice/aptx-hd-bluetooth-what-it-how-can-you-get-it

4425.jpg

Last edited:

vi001101106

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Make sure your fitting is correct. Otherwise, no matter what you do, they won't sound properly.

You should try foam tips instead of the gel ones that come with them. I have the "Comply T-400 Series Foam Tips" that I found on Amazon (cannot link yet) and they make even the cheapest earbuds sound better by providing a better fit.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Right the HBS-1100 are the Platinum's, Aptx HD is an newer advanced codec over the standard aptx, they are two totally different codecs, I have both the Infinums and the Platinum's and when I turn on my Platinum headphones I get the aptx HD popup on my V20 the Infinums don't. You should get the aptx HD popup on your screen when you pair like in thepicture below, try using Google Play Music at high quality streaming or any high quality bit rate MP3's and see if you notice a difference in sound quality that's where I've noticed the difference.

Here's another quick article about the Aptx HD Codec and it's features:

http://www.whathifi.com/advice/aptx-hd-bluetooth-what-it-how-can-you-get-it

View attachment 244660

Yes the Aptx does pop up on my phone when I use them...I'm gonna try new fits with them....I tried them on with Spotify (free version).

AQPerry

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes the Aptx does pop up on my phone when I use them...I'm gonna try new fits with them....I tried them on with Spotify (free version).

Hopefully that works for you, it's such an underrated feature, guess that's cause there's only one headset that works with it right now whereas the quad DAC will work with any HD wired headphones.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I am still on the fence with the LGV20, I like it but the LCD screen and the camera are still killing me. But the sound on the V20 is to die for. I mean it beats hands down the sound on any phone I ever had (entire Note line)....I tried it with the puny little Samsung in ear phones plugged in and it was like wow. Tried it with the N7...nope, beat was washed up. So I am gonna forget about wireless when listening to music with the LG for now....or maybe getter better headphones like the Bose QC35.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
This is my baby and I LOVE their sound!! Sony MDR-1ABT. Best $300 bucks I ever spent, lol....trust me when I tell you guys I never would of thought about spending this much money on headphones but auditioning them was key! Momentum 2's (wired version) were a very close second!

sony-ces-2015-MDR-1ABT.jpg

albie1937

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I tried the newer LG Tone infinims with other Android phones including the iPhone 7 plus and the sound was terrible. Sounds great with the V20. Even better with the Audio Technicas M50s. Bangin!

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
This is my baby and I LOVE their sound!! Sony MDR-1ABT. Best $300 bucks I ever spent, lol....trust me when I tell you guys I never would of thought about spending this much money on headphones but auditioning them was key! Momentum 2's (wired version) were a very close second!

View attachment 244981

I have the Sony MDRZX770DC Bluetooth Noise Canceling Headphones and they are also awesome! And they are high impedance when used unpowered.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Would much rather have seen LG offer these as an option to the B&O H3's. Given the choice, I would have likely chosen the Tone Platinum's.

David