Is anyone still keeping their V20?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm anxious to buy a 512gb VZW Note9 in black color if my local Best Buy ever has one to sell. At BB I get points I can use toward accessories. At VZW store I get nothing. I don't like payments I pay cash.

In the mean time still rocking my V20. If it were possible to buy brand new full 3200 mAh batteries I'd keep it a while longer. The "new" batteries available for sale are a year old and you're lucky to get 3000 mAh

Galaxy S10 (or Galaxy X) is coming. Every 2 years, Samsung introduces a whole new design. The Note 9 was a remake and rehash of the Note 8. If you wait just a tad bit longer, you can see what Samsung has in store for their 10th anniversary phone, which will introduce new and exciting features not yet seen (at least I hope since it's a 10 year anniversary).

My batteries are still working fine and I feel like I'm the only one that experiences phenomenal battery life on my V20.. standby time is too good and it can last days if the screen is off. Maybe try installing Force Doze if you haven't already and Greenify. Batteries can last a long time, depending on how much charge cycles it went through and how often the phone and battery gets really hot (heat lowers battery longevity). I have rechargable Enloop batteries from over a decade ago and they still work perfectly fine... I have an old tiny LG Optimus Fuel from 2015 and I've charged it everyday.. battery still good and zero problems whatsoever.. still the same battery it came with. Just unplug it when it's full and keep the phone battery temps low.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy S10 (or Galaxy X) is coming. Every 2 years, Samsung introduces a whole new design. The Note 9 was a remake and rehash of the Note 8. If you wait just a tad bit longer, you can see what Samsung has in store for their 10th anniversary phone, which will introduce new and exciting features not yet seen (at least I hope since it's a 10 year anniversary).

My batteries are still working fine and I feel like I'm the only one that experiences phenomenal battery life on my V20.. standby time is too good and it can last days if the screen is off. Maybe try installing Force Doze if you haven't already and Greenify. Batteries can last a long time, depending on how much charge cycles it went through and how often the phone and battery gets really hot (heat lowers battery longevity). I have rechargable Enloop batteries from over a decade ago and they still work perfectly fine... I have an old tiny LG Optimus Fuel from 2015 and I've charged it everyday.. battery still good and zero problems whatsoever.. still the same battery it came with. Just unplug it when it's full and keep the phone battery temps low.
Accubattery tells state of battery. My original is only 50% One month old ebay battery 88%. When brand new the supposed oem batteries on ebay are 100% but after a month of use battery life begins to dwindle. I need constant push email so forcing doze is not an option.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It's not that LG can't, it's just that they won't.

There are plenty of great pocket cameras on the market that take better pictures that cost far less than the v40, and if you really needed a better camera then the most logical thing to do is buy one, but I understand the reasoning everyone gives is that wouldn't be a convenient.....

I guess I am just old fashion mechanic who believes in using the right tool for the best results and always have a really great camera with me and use my phone for other things.

Yeah you're right, the V20 camera does the job. I don't really need a new phone, just want. The V20 is still the exact same when I first got it.. still a beast of a performer and extremely underrated. I might end up not upgrading and keeping my V20.. the V20 still has the WIDEST camera in any phone in history, including their newer phones like the V40. Kinda disappointed they reduced the POV of the front and rear wide angle.. especially the front because there's 2 friggin' lens but the POV only has a 10 degree difference than the normal selfie lens..

I feel bad for people who think the only phones that exists are Apple, Google, and Samsung. Everyone asks me, "which phone is that?" The V20 actually looks different than all other phones and it truly stands out not only physically, but with the features it has. I'm reminded of how awesome the phone in when I listen to music with the Quad DAC.. some will say "you don't need a wide angle camera" never actually owned a phone with one, or think Quad DAC isn't really appealing, they probably don't even listen to music at all.. that's why a lack of a headphone jack didn't matter because they aren't a music person anyway.

We'll see what happens.. I might get the V40 but I'm definitely keeping my V20 forever.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
This is definitely not true. The S6, S7, S8 and S9, as well as the Note 5, Note 7, Note 8 and Note 9, are all variations of the same design.

Not really, S4, S5, and Note 3 generally had the same plastic design.. the S6 introduced the all glass uni-body and the S7 used the same design with minor improvements. The S8 and S8+ was a complete refresh of the Galaxy series with the new bezelless designs.

The Note 7 was based off the Galaxy S7 Edge Plus. The Note 8 was based off the Galaxy S8 and borrowing influences from the Note 7 (slight boxy design). The S8 and S9 look nearly identical, same with Note 8 and Note 9. Money wise, it makes sense to keep the same design for 2 years to save money while R&D researches and makes a new design. The Note 4 used the same general design of the Note 3.

In short: S2 and S4 looked very different, S4 and S6 looked different (glass vs plastic), S6 and S8 looked significantly different (traditional bezels vs bezelless).. S9 looks almost 100% identical to the S8, so therefore the S10 is going to look different and have a newer design or at least some significant changes rather than a spec bump. If Samsung does nothing special for their 10th anniversary, they are going to be behind in the smartphone game.

Last edited:

christianttt

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
When getting a new phone if you don't wan't to feel the absence of removable battery, get one with at least 4000 mAh. Otherwise you will depend of the wall charger. P20 pro, Note 9, some Xiaomi phones...

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
When getting a new phone if you don't wan't to feel the absence of removable battery, get one with at least 4000 mAh. Otherwise you will depend of the wall charger. P20 pro, Note 9, some Xiaomi phones...

Until the battery itself goes bad, as has been my experience with sealed phones. I don't care if it has a 10,000 mAh battery, it's still an unnecessary nuisance and expense to have a sealed battery replaced when it goes bad.

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
I looked at the V40, the Pixel 3 and Samsung flagship. I am going to stick with my 2 years old V20 with 5 spare batteries. It is senseless to spend $900+ for a new phone with a sealed battery that maybe last 2 years? Not me 😵

christianttt

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Until the battery itself goes bad, as has been my experience with sealed phones. I don't care if it has a 10,000 mAh battery, it's still an unnecessary nuisance and expense to have a sealed battery replaced when it goes bad.
That's a solid point. I hope my battery survives at least a couple of years, by then I'll be moving to the next phone.

gustav30

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I think one of the big reasons I'm holding on to my V20 and HTC 10 is because of aluminum back, no glass. But also big factor is 16x9 aspect ratio.
I don't like narrow tall phones. If the phone is too narrow the text size will still be a bit on the smaller side. Sure, you get more vertical space, but I think horizontal space is equal in importance. There have been multiple studies that on the phones with talk aspect ratios, the actual screen real estate is comparable or the same to a 16x9 phone with a smaller display footprint. I'm sure some will argue with me on that, but I'm quite happy with V20 and my 10.
Plus LG phones don't hold their resale value, so you are better off waiting a year and pick one up on swappa.

On an unrelated note, LG just swapped the motherboard for free on my 3+ year V10!
So I can't be more excited about that. That phone bootlooped on me a few weeks ago. LG held up their end of the bargain going beyond the 2 year commitment of fixing bootlooped phones. Plus, I tried fixing that phone myself by applying my own copper heatsink....there was evidence I didn't try to hide in me tampering with it. But FedEx is dropping it off today.

I used to be a strict HTC guy, but am finding LG as a great underated Android phone maker. Oreo has been a nice upgrade. I dig the 100 volume steps now.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I think one of the big reasons I'm holding on to my V20 and HTC 10 is because of aluminum back, no glass. But also big factor is 16x9 aspect ratio.
I don't like narrow tall phones. If the phone is too narrow the text size will still be a bit on the smaller side. Sure, you get more vertical space, but I think horizontal space is equal in importance. There have been multiple studies that on the phones with talk aspect ratios, the actual screen real estate is comparable or the same to a 16x9 phone with a smaller display footprint. I'm sure some will argue with me on that, but I'm quite happy with V20 and my 10.
Plus LG phones don't hold their resale value, so you are better off waiting a year and pick one up on swappa.

On an unrelated note, LG just swapped the motherboard for free on my 3+ year V10!
So I can't be more excited about that. That phone bootlooped on me a few weeks ago. LG held up their end of the bargain going beyond the 2 year commitment of fixing bootlooped phones. Plus, I tried fixing that phone myself by applying my own copper heatsink....there was evidence I didn't try to hide in me tampering with it. But FedEx is dropping it off today.

I used to be a strict HTC guy, but am finding LG as a great underated Android phone maker. Oreo has been a nice upgrade. I dig the 100 volume steps now.

Wow! That level of support is amazing! They just keep fixing your V10! Glad LG is fixing your phone again! I used to love HTC way back in the day when Android was still new (HTC made the first Android phones)... sad HTC dropped the ball.. they need to focus on what their fans want.. no headphone jack really sealed their fate and I hope they wake up and realize what they're doing.. HTC is really falling apart and I hope they figure it out

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I looked at the V40, the Pixel 3 and Samsung flagship. I am going to stick with my 2 years old V20 with 5 spare batteries. It is senseless to spend $900+ for a new phone with a sealed battery that maybe last 2 years? Not me 😵

That sounds like the smart move.. however, my phone plan is only $30 a month so money isn't too much of an issue.. I kinda want a better camera and that's the only reason why I want to upgrade.. no doubt, I'm still keeping my V20 forever and it's going into a museum in the future. The V20 aged VERY well and still beats all mid-range phones out there.. I never kept a smartphone this long.. the V20 stood the test of time!

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes. While the Oreo upgrade has been a major pain, the phone itself is running fast and smooth and there is absolutely nothing it lacks for me, plus the audio recorder is second to none. Since the battery is swappable, no age problem with that, and I'd like to get at least a year out of the replacement handset they're sending me.

The V20 is the phone I've most enjoyed using (and the one that has been most reliable) since my first Android, an HTC One X.