Is anyone still keeping their V20?

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
As you already know from prior discussion, "the Galaxy Note 4 already had a planned obsolescence date of 2-3 years max before the chips started to fail. How long can the SSD (internal storage) chip can last before reaching its end of life? I've heard SSD drives on computers have a limited read/write number, what about phones?" is misinformation. The Note 4 was NOT engineered with intentional sabotage and saying that it was is just wrong.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
As you already know from prior discussion, "the Galaxy Note 4 already had a planned obsolescence date of 2-3 years max before the chips started to fail. How long can the SSD (internal storage) chip can last before reaching its end of life? I've heard SSD drives on computers have a limited read/write number, what about phones?" is misinformation. The Note 4 was NOT engineered with intentional sabotage and saying that it was is just wrong.

As I said our Note 2 still works fine, BUT a bit slow, considering current era devices. ;)

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I've had my V20 since launch and I plan on keeping it until I see what the upcoming V40 and Pixel 3 have to offer. Removable battery and DAC, do it for me.

I'm pretty sure the Pixel 3 won't have a headphone jack nor DAC, but I'm interested in seeing what Google has to offer. I'm really looking forward to the V40, as the V35 & G7ThinQ seems like it wouldn't be much of an upgrade to justify the price.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had my V20 since launch and I plan on keeping it until I see what the upcoming V40 and Pixel 3 have to offer. Removable battery and DAC, do it for me.

I'm pretty sure the Pixel 3 won't have a headphone jack nor DAC, but I'm interested in seeing what Google has to offer. I'm really looking forward to the V40, as the V35 & G7ThinQ seems like it wouldn't be much of an upgrade to justify the price.

Same here, waiting for the V40 too. Will probably be fully redesigned since they already re-used the V30 design twice. Who knows what it will have, but I highly doubt a removable battery as much as I would like. They might just follow suit the current trends plus the tech they already have developed (so maybe something inbetween a G7 and V30 mixed with 2018 phones).

I wouldn't have high expectations, phones nowadays are reaching a point of staleness and getting pretty boring... curved glass, bezelless, more and more features getting slashed in exchange for minimalism...

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Same here, waiting for the V40 too. Will probably be fully redesigned since they already re-used the V30 design twice. Who knows what it will have, but I highly doubt a removable battery as much as I would like. They might just follow suit the current trends plus the tech they already have developed (so maybe something inbetween a G7 and V30 mixed with 2018 phones).

I wouldn't have high expectations, phones nowadays are reaching a point of staleness and getting pretty boring... curved glass, bezelless, more and more features getting slashed in exchange for minimalism...

Well said, I totally agree...

I'm just wondering which will come first. The V20 getting Oreo or all of us upgrading to a V40 lol.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Well said, I totally agree...

I'm just wondering which will come first. The V20 getting Oreo or all of us upgrading to a V40 lol.

I would think 6 months after the G7 to maximize sales.. Not sure why the eagerness to upgrade to Oreo, seems like people just want something "new" thinking it would boost their phones performance or get some cool new UI changes but they're wrong, it'll probably slow down your phone.. the phone was designed for the OS that it came with, the developer will probably do a bad job converting the software because it's not their priority and if there's something wrong, they're not going to fix it anymore because they're moving on to something else already. Android 7 is still very good, probably my favorite so far.. still very good with battery and great performance. Don't fall for the marketing hype of a new OS, theres nothing that significantly different.. maybe some UI theme differences.. phone will not be faster (even if so, by a hair). Many times you see people on forums asking "How do I downgrade my phone?" The answer: you CAN'T. Manufactures will NOT let you do it (although supposedly possible, they won't allow it). Also, expect more bloatware installed or updated esp. on carrier branded phones.. So maybe think twice before you make the upgrade.. you may or may NOT like it...

Last edited:

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I would think 6 months after the G7 to maximize sales.. Not sure why the eagerness to upgrade to Oreo, seems like people just want something "new" thinking it would boost their phones performance or get some cool new UI changes but they're wrong, it'll probably slow down your phone.. the phone was designed for the OS that it came with, the developer will probably do a bad job converting the software because it's not their priority and if there's something wrong, they're not going to fix it anymore because they're moving on to something else already. Android 7 is still very good, probably my favorite so far.. still very good with battery and great performance. Don't fall for the marketing hype of a new OS, theres nothing that significantly different.. maybe some UI theme differences.. phone will not be faster (even if so, by a hair). Many times you see people on forums asking "How do I downgrade my phone?" The answer: you CAN'T. Manufactures will NOT let you do it (although supposedly possible, they won't allow it). Also, expect more bloatware installed or updated esp. on carrier branded phones.. So maybe think twice before you make the upgrade.. you may or may NOT like it...

Oreo significantly improved notifications, introduced major security enhancements, huge improvements to the user experience, like native picture in picture, more secure and more accurate contextual autofill, much greater control over privacy controls, OS level color management, obvious improvements to resource management and battery life, etc, etc. Oreo is objectively better than nougat. Though I agree the phone is designed for the OS it launched with and most OEMs suck at the adaptation.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Oreo significantly improved notifications, introduced major security enhancements, huge improvements to the user experience, like native picture in picture, more secure and more accurate contextual autofill, much greater control over privacy controls, OS level color management, obvious improvements to resource management and battery life, etc, etc. Oreo is objectively better than nougat. Though I agree the phone is designed for the OS it launched with and most OEMs suck at the adaptation.

Thanks..... I was almost ready to roll back to cupcake

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I just started on the "V20" bandwagon in June... On purpose. It's got most everything I want in a phone except the initial wallet vacuum effect at purchase time.
I'll be keeping mine for quite a while.
I waited almost two years to get it. The wait wasn't too bad. I was rocking the G5 at the time.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
None of those things have helped me at all nor do I notice them however I miss native gallery picture cropping and I can no longer control the degree of vibration. There is a vibration intensity slider in settings but it no longer as any effect. How are my notifications better now?

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I've spent the last month with my new v20 doing all the things I always do with my phone which is texting, making phone calls, listening to music, watching movies, videos, shopping on line, reading books, using maps, and all the other things we do, and I love it.

Do I need to spend a thousand dollars on a new one... Nope.

Once a person gets it through their heads that if they really don't need to have the latest and greatest phone for their everyday life, the v20 is still a good phone to have.

If you demand the latest version out and are willing to spend the money on one, by all means go for it.

I think people feel that it's foolish to want a older phone over the latest one available, but that's not really the case these days, since what has been produced the past couple years, is light years ahead of what we had 5 years ago or even 3 years ago for that matter.

5 hours of s.o.t. the new ones are getting and quick charge is no replacement for having a quick change of a new battery, a fact that I found out when stuck in a hospital bed for a few days when I suffered my heart attack at the end this past August.

Folks can say what they will about this but being stuck without it sucked big time. I had a app hang and needed to get it rebooted but couldn't, so I had to wait for it to shut off and then recharge... A simple battery pull would have been all it needed.

I personally think LG would be doing themselves as well as us a favor by offering some type of upgraded version of the v20 with the removable battery and all the other features that has made it a underrated great phone.

Water resistance isn't a feature I demand in a phone so having a sealed box isn't needed. Nor is spending a grand or more on a new phone every year, and that right there is the reason I know they won't,so I know that I am preaching to the choir on that.

Mac

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've spent the last month with my new v20 doing all the things I always do with my phone which is texting, making phone calls, listening to music, watching movies, videos, shopping on line, reading books, using maps, and all the other things we do, and I love it.

Do I need to spend a thousand dollars on a new one... Nope.

Once a person gets it through their heads that if they really don't need to have the latest and greatest phone for their everyday life, the v20 is still a good phone to have.

If you demand the latest version out and are willing to spend the money on one, by all means go for it.

I think people feel that it's foolish to want a older phone over the latest one available, but that's not really the case these days, since what has been produced the past couple years, is light years ahead of what we had 5 years ago or even 3 years ago for that matter.

5 hours of s.o.t. the new ones are getting and quick charge is no replacement for having a quick change of a new battery, a fact that I found out when stuck in a hospital bed for a few days when I suffered my heart attack at the end this past August.

Folks can say what they will about this but being stuck without it sucked big time. I had a app hang and needed to get it rebooted but couldn't, so I had to wait for it to shut off and then recharge... A simple battery pull would have been all it needed.

I personally think LG would be doing themselves as well as us a favor by offering some type of upgraded version of the v20 with the removable battery and all the other features that has made it a underrated great phone.

Water resistance isn't a feature I demand in a phone so having a sealed box isn't needed. Nor is spending a grand or more on a new phone every year, and that right there is the reason I know they won't,so I know that I am preaching to the choir on that.

Mac

I agree with your points, but for me, I kinda need an updated camera. Low light focus speed was always a problem on the V20 so I'm looking for a more modern phone that can deal with that. But there will be a lot of missing features, such as the removable battery and 2nd screen. I may keep the V20 for longer and skip the V40, who knows. LG is doing what's best for them to survive and they can't just simply make phones for us small group of enthusiasts, they need to appeal to the majority and it seems as if the majority influenced the current design of LG phones. The V20 still rocks and is still a beast.. the Quad DAC still blows all other phones out the water.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree with your points, but for me, I kinda need an updated camera. Low light focus speed was always a problem on the V20 so I'm looking for a more modern phone that can deal with that. But there will be a lot of missing features, such as the removable battery and 2nd screen. I may keep the V20 for longer and skip the V40, who knows. LG is doing what's best for them to survive and they can't just simply make phones for us small group of enthusiasts, they need to appeal to the majority and it seems as if the majority influenced the current design of LG phones. The V20 still rocks and is still a beast.. the Quad DAC still blows all other phones out the water.

It's not that LG can't, it's just that they won't.

There are plenty of great pocket cameras on the market that take better pictures that cost far less than the v40, and if you really needed a better camera then the most logical thing to do is buy one, but I understand the reasoning everyone gives is that wouldn't be a convenient.....

I guess I am just old fashion mechanic who believes in using the right tool for the best results and always have a really great camera with me and use my phone for other things.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm anxious to buy a 512gb VZW Note9 in black color if my local Best Buy ever has one to sell. At BB I get points I can use toward accessories. At VZW store I get nothing. I don't like payments I pay cash.

In the mean time still rocking my V20. If it were possible to buy brand new full 3200 mAh batteries I'd keep it a while longer. The "new" batteries available for sale are a year old and you're lucky to get 3000 mAh

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I'm anxious to buy a 512gb VZW Note9 in black color if my local Best Buy ever has one to sell. At BB I get points I can use toward accessories. At VZW store I get nothing. I don't like payments I pay cash.

In the mean time still rocking my V20. If it were possible to buy brand new full 3200 mAh batteries I'd keep it a while longer. The "new" batteries available for sale are a year old and you're lucky to get 3000 mAh
Can you order online and ship to store?