Discussion: My Thoughts on the LG V30

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Good morning,
So, after a *fantastic* fiasco with the *lovely* guys at UPS and the *amazing* servers at T-Mobile, I finally got a package today. Yes, it was my Complete My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Collection! No, I'm kidding. It was an LG V30. My Little Pony comes in two days (I hope you guys know I'm joking).
Before I begin, I want to preface by telling all of you that the LG V30 is one fantastic phone. At least, after about six hours it is, haha. Now for all the bad stuff.
The LG V30, as beautiful as it is, is a fingerprint magnet of epic proportions. I've always known the downsides of glass phones, but I'm definitely purchasing a dbrand skin the first chance I get (as soon as dbrand, ya know, lets me do that). Next, the software. Yes, it's fast. Yes, you can customize it to your exact specifications. Yes, it still looks great. But the point is, I shouldn't have to spend two hours just to make everything look the way I want it to. Also, bloatware. This is actually just a negative against Android in general. My app list is twice as long as the app list for my Windows phone... and I haven't installed nearly as many apps on my Android. I'd be okay with the choice if I actually had a choice in the matter, but most of the preinstalled apps can't be uninstalled. But this is all stuff you guys already know. So on to the great stuff!

LG is well known for releasing fantastic phones filled with all the features we're all thinking we want but never have. Then they completely pass underneath the radar, along with the rest of the competition. It's not that LG makes bad smartphones, it's that they have no earthly clue how to market their devices or actually get them into people's hands. And the LG V30 is another one of those phones, except times a few thousand. Here is a beautiful, perfectly crafted device filled with (almost) all the best hardware specs you can buy, and yet its release has been plagued with vague promises, terrible availability, and just sheer confusion. Honestly, it's disappointing. LG certainly has a place in the smartphone world, but a lot of people aren't even actively aware that LG makes smartphones. The LG V30 is the best smartphone LG has ever made, but it likely won't change anything for them. Let's move onto why.
LG's design has evolved dramatically over the years, from the iconic G3, to the marginally different G4, to the beautiful beast that was the V10, to the funky failing G5, to the all metal V20...you get the point. The V30 is the culmination of everything that LG has learned over the years, a perfectly symmetrical glass sandwich with lovely curves and impressive dimensions. And it feels amazing. It's so light, and sits in your hand juuuuust right. But it feels fragile. Not as fragile as any recent Samsung, but almost fragile enough to convince me to purchase a case (I'm not going to). Basically, expect a phone with exquisite quality and detail, but a glass back that will collect EVERY fingerprint you have to offer. But it's all worth it, because the display on the front is incredible. This is easily the best display LG has every put into a smartphone, and it rivals Samsung's best. It's not AS good, but it's good enough. It's bright, colorful, and just all around beautiful. I haven't had any real backlighting issues like people have been reporting, but it is my first day with this phone, after all. I'll update if I notice any issues, but so far this is a display worthy of this phone. Battery life has been surprisingly great so far. I haven't spent nearly enough time to give you any definitive conclusions, but the V30 has lasted for hours with all barrels firing at full blast, and never broke thirty percent.

Now I would tell you about the camera, but I haven't played with it yet. I've only had this guy for a few hours, give me a break. I'll update you guys as time goes on. Let me know what you guys think.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Small update. One bad, two good.
There are small issues with the display. At its lowest brightness, and on grey screens, there are bright spots. It becomes completely unnoticeable by 10% brightness. Basically, LG needs to raise the floor.
The haptic feedback engine is the best I've ever felt. It's absolutely amazing.
Performance has been exemplary thus far.

mister2d

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. If you have to ask what slow is, it might be you. Here's a definition. The camera shooting after 4 seconds to me is slow.

So in technical terms, shutter speed is a mechanical function. During daylight exposures the shutter speed has to be sub-second (as I mentioned initially) so that your images aren't washed out by white light. This is true for any type of camera. During low light pictures, you want a slow shutter speed (in many cases in the seconds, minutes, hours, days, months) to gather as much light as you possibly can. A tripod or stable source (like the vacuum of space) is required for that though.

When you mention that shutter speeds are slow, it might be that your source is conflating the meaning of the word with what they think is slow.

No need to personal attack btw.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So in technical terms, shutter speed is a mechanical function. During daylight exposures the shutter speed has to be sub-second (as I mentioned initially) so that your images aren't washed out by white light. This is true for any type of camera. During low light pictures, you want a slow shutter speed (in many cases in the seconds, minutes, hours, days, months) to gather as much light as you possibly can. A tripod or stable source (like the vacuum of space) is required for that though.

When you mention that shutter speeds are slow, it might be that your source is conflating the meaning of the word with what they think is slow.

No need to personal attack btw.
Along with this, when a camera has a fast shutter in low light, there's obviously a lot of processing going on to make that image look presentable. That's when you get into the YMMV area.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
There are small issues with the display. At its lowest brightness, and on grey screens, there are bright spots. It becomes completely unnoticeable by 10% brightness. Basically, LG needs to raise the floor.
Can you provide more details on what you see on the haptic feedback. How is it different and better. Haptic feedback is generally the first item I turn off on phones.

Your comment is interesting, I have not tried haptic feedback in years. Maybe I should give it a go.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Did you get your v30 at verizon?

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Glass back = cracked back. Get a case ASAP, even if it is a cheapy to hold you over until you find the one you really want. My father's Samsung was almost instantly a million cracks from just normal drops that any plastic or metal phone would have laughed at.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Can you provide more details on what you see on the haptic feedback. How is it different and better. Haptic feedback is generally the first item I turn off on phones.

Your comment is interesting, I have not tried haptic feedback in years. Maybe I should give it a go.

Most phones just vibrate and that's the end of it. It's the same vibration for everything. But this phone...it feels like every key has its own motor. I can tell what it is by the vibration alone. It's really well done. Whoever did the vibration motor should get a raise.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
So far, battery life has been surprisingly good. I went my whole nine hour work day and came home with 70% and three hours of SoT. That's really impressive. And I have the AoD turned on as well.
The camera is great. It's not mind-blowing, but it's fast to open, focus, and shoot. There is a small delay afterwards for processing. Photos are good quality with great detail and colors. It's at the very least as good as my Lumia 950 XL.
The screen is a little annoying at low brightness. It's fantastic at 40% and up but the screen isn't perfect with greys. It doesn't have issues with any other colors... just grey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress