The Notch rears its ugly head

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I hate it. Hate it that this is becoming a trend and a thing but in the case of LG, if they improve the front facing camera and retain all the other unique features LG phones have, then I'll take it.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm over the drama. Don't care about the notch. It's a notch or a bezel, pick your poison.
A bezel doesn't cover up any information on the screen, while the notch does (and also prevents you from using the entire screen for full screen apps).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having bezels around the screen. Unnecessarily large bezels are a problem, but only a problem that few phones suffer from (mainly Apple and Sony phones or certain Pixel phones).

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
A bezel doesn't cover up any information on the screen, while the notch does (and also prevents you from using the entire screen for full screen apps).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having bezels around the screen. Unnecessarily large bezels are a problem, but only a problem that few phones suffer from (mainly Apple and Sony phones or certain Pixel phones).
Yep. But people are going to complain either way and I just don't care much.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I think the big take away on this notch trend that irritates me the most is that the other guys aren't incorporating special facial recognition sensors and things like that. They seem to just be an aesthetic rendition of a very functional aspect of Apple's iPhone X. Or have I just missed other OEMs doing facial recognition sensors?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I think the big take away on this notch trend that irritates me the most is that the other guys aren't incorporating special facial recognition sensors and things like that. They seem to just be an aesthetic rendition of a very functional aspect of Apple's iPhone X. Or have I just missed other OEMs doing facial recognition sensors?
The notch has nothing to do with special sensors. Apple just made a notch so it can tout a high screen to body ratio. You can have special sensors without notching. There is no functional aspect in its rendition in the iPhone X. It could be achieved with a normal bezel, just like Samsung's iris scanners.
The Essential was the first notched phone and it didn't have special sensors on the notch.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The notch has nothing to do with special sensors. Apple just made a notch so it can tout a high screen to body ratio. You can have special sensors without notching. There is no functional aspect in its rendition in the iPhone X. It could be achieved with a normal bezel, just like Samsung's iris scanners.
We'll true but they do at least have them there is what I'm saying. Not that it was necessary.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
We'll true but they do at least have them there is what I'm saying. Not that it was necessary.
And it's the same for other manufacturers. The main point of the notch is to get the body ratio. Plus Android P will be notch compatible, so you can say it's future proofing for the interface.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The only thing which will annoy me about the notch is when it is present alongside a chin.

It just breaks the symmetry

md308

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I think I saw somewhere that LG was going to make it optional, i. e. as part of the screen or just black with the time/notifications. I could go for that. Now if it's ALWAYS part of the screen and whatever video I watch, picture I take, etc. has a notch cut out of it? BURN IT WITH FIRE!!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I think I saw somewhere that LG was going to make it optional, i. e. as part of the screen or just black with the time/notifications. I could go for that. Now if it's ALWAYS part of the screen and whatever video I watch, picture I take, etc. has a notch cut out of it? BURN IT WITH FIRE!!
That would be fine, so at least you have a choice of a software bezel that is able to show time and notification icons while leaving the screen free for content or just showing the notch.

It's imperfect but it's a solid workaround

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Blahhh bezel all the way for me! While I admit that Essential did the notch well, however. The P20 line also looks pretty good. But this notch... Nope.

However, I'm still interested in seeing how the LG G series does this year!

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Blahhh bezel all the way for me! While I admit that Essential did the notch well, however. The P20 line also looks pretty good. But this notch... Nope.

However, I'm still interested in seeing how the LG G series does this year!
Yeah. I actually like the essential phone. Best built phone out imo. I live the feel and materials. And now with 8.1 a lot of tvr bugs are fixed. Can't wait to see what the next essential is and the pixel 3. Both are on my list this year.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrystalLewis