Transfer from v30 to v30

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a friend who has a v30 that has screen problems. I have one that I don't use and plan to give it to her since mine is pristine.

My questions is, what is the best way to copy her data from her old phone to her new phone. I automatically that of Smart Transfer but that is a Samsung utility, will it work with two v30's? If not, what suggestions do you have? TIA

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a friend who has a v30 that has screen problems. I have one that I don't use and plan to give it to her since mine is pristine.

My questions is, what is the best way to copy her data from her old phone to her new phone. I automatically that of Smart Transfer but that is a Samsung utility, will it work with two v30's? If not, what suggestions do you have? TIA
LG has a transfer app. I forgot what it's called but you should be able to find it pretty easily in the Play Store.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Check the phone's settings. My V20 came with a backup tool already installed and there's a backup/reset option in the settings menu. You can backup most things, then store it as a stand alone file that can be put on an SD card to transfer.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
What is there to transfer that wouldn't be on your SD card or Google backup? I got a replacement v30, popped my sd card in and signed in to Google. Some minor app configuration but other than that it's no big deal. I do keep my Nova launcher settings backed up to drive so as soon as all the apps download I do a nova restore.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What is there to transfer that wouldn't be on your SD card or Google backup? I got a replacement v30, popped my sd card in and signed in to Google. Some minor app configuration but other than that it's no big deal. I do keep my Nova launcher settings backed up to drive so as soon as all the apps download I do a nova restore.
For one, you don't have to wait for apps to download, they just immediately install from the backup. If you have apps that are no longer in the Play store, it can back those up too. In my case, my third party launcher doesn't have an internal backup, but the LG backup restored it and all my widgets, plus app data.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I checked out the LG utility and the reviews are really bad. I think I'll just set hers to do a Google backup, make sure her contacts and calendar are set to backup and then force a sync and then have her sign into the new phone. If she doesn't like that idea then she'll be on her own. I'm giving her a phone and I want to help her out but I don't want to take over responsibility for someone else's phone.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
For one, you don't have to wait for apps to download, they just immediately install from the backup. If you have apps that are no longer in the Play store, it can back those up too. In my case, my third party launcher doesn't have an internal backup, but the LG backup restored it and all my widgets, plus app data.
I suppose whenever it comes time to get a new phone, I'd rather not take the exact image or any other possible issues that may have been on my old phone, corrupted directories or registries or any file system errors. I'm fine with installing the apps fresh and then letting game progress or data associated with those apps restore through their own backups and restores. But I can see the value in a seamless transition between two phones.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I recently reset my phone, and the backup tool worked great. If not that, I would've used the APK Extractor app to save those otherwise unavailable apps.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I checked out the LG utility and the reviews are really bad. I think I'll just set hers to do a Google backup, make sure her contacts and calendar are set to backup and then force a sync and then have her sign into the new phone. If she doesn't like that idea then she'll be on her own. I'm giving her a phone and I want to help her out but I don't want to take over responsibility for someone else's phone.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.
Fyi, make sure you sign out of your Google accounts before resetting the phone, otherwise factory reset protection could kick in and require your account info to set up the phone.