What is up with LG's Antennas?

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
Seriously. I want to get the V40 for the quad DAC, pending the battery life, but why is signal reception less than stellar on LG phones? I realize some people have no issues depending on the carrier, but it really bothers me that the V30 I had for all of two weeks wasn't able to get full bars. And it's not like I'm an early adopter; I bought it in April with a Valentine's Day manufacture date. Now I'm afraid the V40 will have the same issue. :/

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Seriously. I want to get the V40 for the quad DAC, pending the battery life, but why is signal reception less than stellar on LG phones? I realize some people have no issues depending on the carrier, but it really bothers me that the V30 I had for all of two weeks wasn't able to get full bars. And it's not like I'm an early adopter; I bought it in April with a Valentine's Day manufacture date. Now I'm afraid the V40 will have the same issue. :/

I'm getting similar reception with my V30 that I did on my MXPE. Only thing you can really do is get the V40 and try it out 😁. After all it's just money right.

Seriously though... Other phones are obviously working better for you on the same carrier? What carrier are you on? I've been with Sprint since 1999 and I think I've finally had enough.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I'm getting similar reception with my V30 that I did on my MXPE. Only thing you can really do is get the V40 and try it out 😁. After all it's just money right.

Seriously though... Other phones are obviously working better for you on the same carrier? What carrier are you on? I've been with Sprint since 1999 and I think I've finally had enough.

I'm on T-Mobile's band 4 LTE. I'm currently typing this on my Nexus 6P, with full bars and on 5G Wi-Fi, which I use exclusively when at home. While out and about, I turn off the Wi-Fi, so it doesn't run in the background along with LTE. Am I saying Google and Huawei performed magic with this phone? No, but it's just really strange to me how a phone that was manufactured in February of this year is unable to have full signal.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the V30, and my wife has an S9+. The Galaxy gets anywhere from 5 to 10 dbm better. I also downloaded a app that would tell you what band the phone was on, and the Galaxy would switch to another band in some areas, and get a great signal, while the V30 would be on a different band, and have only 1 bar, or no signal.
I love the V30, but living in a rural area, I need a phone that can get a good signal. I'm curious to see if you have a better experience with the V40. (I'm on AT&t)

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I have the V30, and my wife has an S9+. The Galaxy gets anywhere from 5 to 10 dbm better. I also downloaded a app that would tell you what band the phone was on, and the Galaxy would switch to another band in some areas, and get a great signal, while the V30 would be on a different band, and have only 1 bar, or no signal.
I love the V30, but living in a rural area, I need a phone that can get a good signal. I'm curious to see if you have a better experience with the V40. (I'm on AT&t)

Well, according to Android Authority and their initial review, the V40 can only muster 4-5 hours SOT. For the larger screen, that's a no for me, no matter how much I love the quad DAC.

joewoo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, according to Android Authority and their initial review, the V40 can only muster 4-5 hours SOT. For the larger screen, that's a no for me, no matter how much I love the quad DAC.

I bet it does better... Seems low... My v35 gets over 6 regularly

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

The question is, does the phone still work? Maybe it's just a visual perception. If voice calls, text messages, and internet data works fine, what's the problem? I only have 2 bars on my V20 and I'm inside my room in my house, but never have I experienced any connection issues. If you are in a crowded place, expect weaker connection.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The question is, does the phone still work? Maybe it's just a visual perception. If voice calls, text messages, and internet data works fine, what's the problem? I only have 2 bars on my V20 and I'm inside my room in my house, but never have I experienced any connection issues. If you are in a crowded place, expect weaker connection.

He mentioned the dbm measurements, thise DO matter.

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Isn't this a retread of a thread about the V30? Or V20?
I remember reading almost the same arguments.
If the antennas where that bad how would LG sell any phones. Where I live it all depends on the carrier. Some are okay, some very good and others...... Well let's not go there. :)
So in my experience, the V series have good antennas. I would buy my V10, 20 or 30 again. I'm looking at the V40 too.
Lateck,

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have AT&T loyalty calling me back in a few hours, and am hoping they will swap out my V30. I dropped 3 calls yesterday, and can't take it anymore. I'm hoping they offer me a S9+, as that is what my wife has, and here at home she is getting 97-98 dbm, and my V30 is 110-to 114, which is dropped calls range. They reset the network settings and still no help. I really like the V30 in every other way, but the reception is unacceptable. Hope they fix it with the V40.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

I don't know about that...
I average around 5-6.5 hours SOT on my T-Mobile V40. I'm using You Tube, Social Media, Email, Text, etc, on a regular basis.

I watch 4K content on the highest resolution(3120x1440) once done with what I'm watching I bring the resolution back down to the middle (2340x1080) Doing so and using darker themes saves battery.

I'm sure it's a little different for everyone, depending on usage, carrier, etc.

LPRodgers

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
My v35 was terrible when I got it, then att did the Sept update and it was fixed, better than my note 9. I got the v40 and it's the same as the v35, these of course are att branded phones though.

memillh

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

The LG V40 Has the Best Cellular Reception of Any Phone

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile's band 4 LTE. I'm currently typing this on my Nexus 6P, with full bars and on 5G Wi-Fi, which I use exclusively when at home. While out and about, I turn off the Wi-Fi, so it doesn't run in the background along with LTE. Am I saying Google and Huawei performed magic with this phone? No, but it's just really strange to me how a phone that was manufactured in February of this year is unable to have full signal.

You're comparing bars and that's bad. Bars are a horrible way to judge cell signal between phones since each phone displays "bars" differently. You could have the same signal and the two different phones show different "bars".

Always go into settings and check the actual -dBm signal. That's the true signal.. that's what you compare.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

People on here and a few others are getting 5.5 to a little over 6 hours of SOT. I wouldn't worry about the battery in the V40, it seems to be working out pretty well.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting similar reception with my V30 that I did on my MXPE. Only thing you can really do is get the V40 and try it out . After all it's just money right.

Leave Sprint. If it's at all sketchy and slow for you try a different carrier. I stick with them for the better part of a decade after Nextel myself because it was cheaper and the phone deals we're usually pretty good but I moved and it didn't work at the new house so I had to switch. Now work and all the other places I always went with Sprint phones and it was shaky at best my T-Mobile service just kills it. Not saying go with T-Mobile but use root metrics and open signal to see whose best in your area. I don't regret leaving them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty