Can someone teach me

n0ve

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you even know basic unix? If your running windows, start off by designating a month minimum to stay away from microsoft, install a beginner linux (Ubuntu if you must but i think that encourages people to think microsoft and the point is not to ;\, other choices IMO would be Mint 12 or Fedora...) In navigating around your new OS, installing drivers, you'll automatically learn some basics, and take it from there. For example you will learn what the actual definition of root means.

dark_mirage

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. I so very much agree with this. Ubuntu can no longer be called a starter distro because of how much it cups your sack. Like n0ve said, fedora and mint are good for noobies.

Sent from my LG Viper 4g LTE using Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu 12.04, building android isn't stable for it yet. The preferred and what Google recommends is Ubuntu 10.04.

Its very user friendly. Took me a whole week to master.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

n0ve

May 12, 2012
Visit site
We weren't recommending ubuntu at all, just if he wanted the most "windows ui like" , but suggested others.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Surprised to see someone else up as late as me its 3 am where I live.

Anyways I know you guys weren't recommending it, but 10.04 isn't really that hard to learn. Still I should get around to trying mint or fedora myself

jonnie_r

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
OS X isn't based on Linux, its based around a Unix framework with a fork of FreeBSD which isn't Linux, it is generally classified as a POSIX system.

However it does share similarities in the command line with the Linux kernel based systems.

Your best choice to learn is as others suggested, get your hands dirty on a Linux based system like ArchLinux or Fedora.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

n0ve

May 12, 2012
Visit site
It would be better to do the coding by hand until until you know your way into terminal. But whatever floats your boat.

Exactly, because if you only learn like that when you run into trouble and there's no step 123467 what do you do? Lol

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
May be a little off topic but one of my college textbooks is all about Unix, the history and everything. It even has intros to programming in it (its about 800 pages btw), which is what my major is, software development I mean.

OSX is based on BSD Unix, the university of berkelys version of att-bells original Unix. And Linux is often referred to as a Unix clone, since it mimics the look and feel of Unix but isn't based on Unix or BSD Unix source code at all.

Gosh I feel like a nerd now...:)

Justin Cardwell

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
How did you learn how to port ROMS. I know this is not a innate behavior for one to wake up one day and begin. If there is a website that may help me learn. PLEASE POST!