Got it today

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Many of these always-on watch faces are sick! Almost as nice as full watch faces (some are just ok). As a matter of fact, some of these may be too much, particularly at night. Don't have any pictures yet.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I have everything except BT turned off at the moment, and I've been at 100% battery for 48 minutes. My Gear Live would be at 99% within 10 seconds of taking it off the charger.

Oh and speaking of charging, the magnetic charger that comes with watch probably sucks. Very fiddly. Watch strap is stiff and charger is too close to strap. Might be the reason (besides how much I like my Gear S2, and how huge the U2LTE is) that I return it. I don't have patience for fiddly things. Really may be a problem since very easy to dislodge after connecting just by placing on counter/nightstand.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
So you prefer the Gear S2 to the U2LTE? I was torn between the two, but I wanted the classic with a speaker and that option doesn't exist. Do you just prefer Tizen to AW?

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Vibration is very weak. And no sounds for texts. That's fixable, but should have been there day one. Sounds for calls, alarms, but not texts. Oh, and apparently you HAVE to use Google Messenger app on phone, as Messenger app is on watch. On the positive side, battery stayed at 100% for one hour and 47 minutes with Always-on watch face on.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Got mine last night. Yeah the band is STIFF but im hoping that will eventually soften up, though I am not sure how much it will,,,its a rather thick rubber. Also, the charger is flimsy. I could have sworn I seen photos of a charger that also covered the whole back and was magnetic, not the small magnetic bar that was included. Otherwise, I like it. The speaker seems decent enough to use in a quiet area (then again, who is going to try to hold a conversation in a noisy one while on speakerphone). I am a little confused as to why the new Samsung coming out, already has NumberSync, or will have at launch, but this one doesn't (I am with AT&T), and will have to wait till April.

@Fitz I use messenger anyway, but while browsing thru the settings, I could have sworn there was an option to choose which you wanted to use. My only option was messenger since thats all I have

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
So you prefer the Gear S2 to the U2LTE? I was torn between the two, but I wanted the classic with a speaker and that option doesn't exist. Do you just prefer Tizen to AW?
I'm definitely torn. I've had a Gear Live for quite a while, so I'm familiar with Android Wear. There are the obvious things about Tizen I don't like, like not using Google Now, Maps, and notifications not displaying overlayed on the the always-o watch face, but the bezel and overall UI on the S2 is far better than the swiping and swiping of AW. I have the Sport S2, and am not impressed with the thickness of the 3g version compared to the non-3g version I have, but I do want a speaker. Don't know what to do. Don't care for S Voice, do like it size of the Sport S2, don't think I'll like the thickness of the S2 3g, the U2LTE is pretty large for now my average to small sized wrists.

kodos

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Congrats! Got mine today as well. All the local AT&T stores seem to have them in stock in my area (McKinney, TX).

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I picked one up today from my AT&T store, not sure if I'm going to keep it or not. Theres a few things that I think make it not exactly right for me:

One thing that I either haven't figured out how to do or isn't possible is lower the display brightness for the ambient always-on screen. I can dim the overall brightness and the normal watch face looks good even all the way down, but it doesn't effect the Always-on screen. I don't think it'll light up a room but I think its bright enough to say "Hey, I'm a smartwatch no matter how traditional I look". Having it dim enough to look like the glow of real watch hands would be perfect.

I bought mine without a contract, I don't plan on using it for calls. Not being able to re-assign the physical buttons is sort of annoying since the top one brings up the contact list. I think I may do a lot of wrist texting (2015 version of ****-dialing?) When I wore my regular Citizen watch I used to constantly change the time zone because my coat or something would hit the buttons and turn the dials, I think the same thing will happen with these buttons. I see a lot of accidental button pushes or screen swipes.

I'm not the typical Smartwatch target audience - 95% of my notifications are turned off. I primarily use it as a step tracker and to alert me of incoming phone calls without having to take my phone from my pocket or if I leave it on my desk and walk away, things like emails, texts, etc are off. I do keep Google Now alerts on - its helpful to get a traffic update for my commute home. If I could find a good looking analogue watch to count my steps and have a one line display for calls I'd be happy. (Not the Withings, I don't like the look. The Martian seems to have promise but is missing the step counter, I had hope for the Fossil Q Grant, but without any display screen it was useless). Last month I ended up buying a Garmin Fenix 3 which, once I got past the sticker shock, seems to do what I want. Its a big watch but I think its the best looking one out there. I do a lot of cycling in the summer so I can justify the price because I can use it when I ride (I know most smartwatches can too). Its not a touchscreen device and the screen isn't anything like the Urbane (or any smartwatch) and I do have my own gripes and wish-list for that watch but overall it seems to do what I want.Backlight Off.jpgBacklight On.jpg

I do think the Urbane 2 is the best looking true smart watch out there, and I want to love it but the more I tinker with it I think the inability to reassign the side buttons will really drive me nuts.

Last edited:

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting! I'm laughing that you found something that actually makes the LG look (relatively) small.

For people more familiar with AW, is the button-mapping something that might be changeable someday with software, either through an app or Google's own update? I know it's speculation, I'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts. Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to at least be able to select an app for each button, leaving the crown with the fixed functionality as dictated by the AW standard.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I dont think I have ever had one that allowed mapping. I had the first LG G Watch (no buttons), the Samsung Gear Live (no buttons), and the Moto 360 (one button but it wasnt used for anything app wise). This is my first with more then a single button :p

If I recall correctly, when I had the LG G watch, I had it rooted. Maybe someone will come along and do the same with this, and allow custom mapping options!

Last edited:

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Got mine yesterday as well. Very nice but I'm exchanging it because the display has a defect on the edge which is very visible with a white background. I turn off always on because I think it's a waste of battery drain. Why have it on when I'm not even looking at it?

2f23ab05c2d0354940ceb09daf6bca34.jpg

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Agree that the ambient watch faces are nice, but very bright, on some of them they seem nearly as bright as "on". And TOTALLY want ability to map buttons. For example, I use Google Fit, not LG Fit, and probably will never use LG Fit, so want to map Google Fit to that button. Also, it is rather big, but dang that Garmin is ginormous! Lol. Also really disappointed in the charger. Way too fiddly. Forsee myself waking up in the morning to a dead watch, many days.

And lastly, haven't taken the protective film off the stainless, since still deciding if I'm keeping it. Is there a film on the glass? When I put my fingernail at edge of glass near stainless, I think I feel protective film edge. Is there one on the glass?

perezs07

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I picked one up today from my AT&T store, not sure if I'm going to keep it or not. Theres a few things that I think make it not exactly right for me:

One thing that I either haven't figured out how to do or isn't possible is lower the display brightness for the ambient always-on screen. I can dim the overall brightness and the normal watch face looks good even all the way down, but it doesn't effect the Always-on screen. I don't think it'll light up a room but I think its bright enough to say "Hey, I'm a smartwatch no matter how traditional I look". Having it dim enough to look like the glow of real watch hands would be perfect.

I bought mine without a contract, I don't plan on using it for calls. Not being able to re-assign the physical buttons is sort of annoying since the top one brings up the contact list. I think I may do a lot of wrist texting (2015 version of ****-dialing?) When I wore my regular Citizen watch I used to constantly change the time zone because my coat or something would hit the buttons and turn the dials, I think the same thing will happen with these buttons. I see a lot of accidental button pushes or screen swipes.

I'm not the typical Smartwatch target audience - 95% of my notifications are turned off. I primarily use it as a step tracker and to alert me of incoming phone calls without having to take my phone from my pocket or if I leave it on my desk and walk away, things like emails, texts, etc are off. I do keep Google Now alerts on - its helpful to get a traffic update for my commute home. If I could find a good looking analogue watch to count my steps and have a one line display for calls I'd be happy. (Not the Withings, I don't like the look. The Martian seems to have promise but is missing the step counter, I had hope for the Fossil Q Grant, but without any display screen it was useless). Last month I ended up buying a Garmin Fenix 3 which, once I got past the sticker shock, seems to do what I want. Its a big watch but I think its the best looking one out there. I do a lot of cycling in the summer so I can justify the price because I can use it when I ride (I know most smartwatches can too). Its not a touchscreen device and the screen isn't anything like the Urbane (or any smartwatch) and I do have my own gripes and wish-list for that watch but overall it seems to do what I want.View attachment 205816View attachment 205817

I do think the Urbane 2 is the best looking true smart watch out there, and I want to love it but the more I tinker with it I think the inability to reassign the side buttons will really drive me nuts.

I'm in the same boat as you. Wish there was like a gshock type watch with step counter and message/call notifications. Let me know if you know of one.

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. Wish there was like a gshock type watch with step counter and message/call notifications. Let me know if you know of one.
If you're willing to pay for it, look at the Garmin - it does do all of the message/call notifications - pretty much any of the apps on your phone (android or IOS) will work. You can't respond to them from the device but it'll notify you. The Fenix isn't cheap but it'll take a beating - I have the Sapphire model and don't have a scratch on the thing and I know its hit a few walls.

I said it before - its not perfect, theres a few things I wish I could change but after having tried other smartwatches this seems to be the best one for me.