Odds of future Android Pay support post 2.0 launch?

Cretz

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered the Urbane 2 with the hope of it getting AP support since it's one of two watches with NFC. I had the G Watch R which similarly launched with an unused wifi chip and was given support via update after a few months.

In addition, I'm curious how well the latest preview build of 2.0 runs. I read on the other post on this forum that the extra hardware buttons can be remapped with it installed. I am currently using the Gear S3 and I love the extra buttons as shortcuts, but lack of Google voice commands (svoice is really bad), barely any good apps, and Tizen not being as functional with Android plus other oddities(setting DND doesn't sync between phone and watch, no simple way to turn off the display unless you disable Always On, only the most recent notification for a Gmail email displays) has made me want to stick with Android Wear.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered the Urbane 2 with the hope of it getting AP support since it's one of two watches with NFC. I had the G Watch R which similarly launched with an unused wifi chip and was given support via update after a few months.

In addition, I'm curious how well the latest preview build of 2.0 runs. I read on the other post on this forum that the extra hardware buttons can be remapped with it installed. I am currently using the Gear S3 and I love the extra buttons as shortcuts, but lack of Google voice commands (svoice is really bad), barely any good apps, and Tizen not being as functional with Android plus other oddities(setting DND doesn't sync between phone and watch, no simple way to turn off the display unless you disable Always On, only the most recent notification for a Gmail email displays) has made me want to stick with Android Wear.

Just so you know. On Android wear 2.0, DND does not sync between the watch and the phone anymore since the latest update. Personally, I prefer it that way, but you may not. We may get Android pay eventually but I wouldn't hold my breath. Things seem to just be getting delayed. It seems like Android Wear is headed downhill. I'm actually planning to grab a Gear S3. I think the experience will be better. I'll probably switch back and forth between this and the S3.

Cretz

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The Gear S3 Classic feels too much like it is a standalone device rather than a complimentary device to my phone. Since I use a lot of Google services, Android Wear is perfect for me because Maps, Play Music, Hangouts, Reminders, etc. Are all designed with a Wear experience in mind. On the S3 everything is generic and homogenized. No Google Maps at all, basic play/pause/next/previous controls for Play Music, and no Okay Google. Tizen appears to offer less control for developers as well, as many simple features requested in app reviews aren't possible due to technical limitations, according to the app's developer.

Wearables in general are heading downhill, and they didn't even get a golden age like tablets in the mainstream. I've been satisfied with Google's support for AW with their first party apps, and there are enough people making apps for AW to fix or automate missing features, unlike Tizen.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The Gear S3 Classic feels too much like it is a standalone device rather than a complimentary device to my phone. Since I use a lot of Google services, Android Wear is perfect for me because Maps, Play Music, Hangouts, Reminders, etc. Are all designed with a Wear experience in mind. On the S3 everything is generic and homogenized. No Google Maps at all, basic play/pause/next/previous controls for Play Music, and no Okay Google. Tizen appears to offer less control for developers as well, as many simple features requested in app reviews aren't possible due to technical limitations, according to the app's developer.

Wearables in general are heading downhill, and they didn't even get a golden age like tablets in the mainstream. I've been satisfied with Google's support for AW with their first party apps, and there are enough people making apps for AW to fix or automate missing features, unlike Tizen.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I didn't go with the Gear S2 because I wanted Google now and Play music and all that instead, but I've realized I never use ok Google. I also don't use most apps except for Nest. The main thing I'll probably use it for is notifications and to stream music as well as to pay. I love Samsung Pay. I'll be able to do all of this standalone which is more of what I'm looking for. I'm glad we have choice. I do love my LG though. I'm sure you'll like it.

Cretz

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
If you don't use Okay Google at all then the S3 should be fine. I underestimated how often I used voice commands to play music and initiate a Hangouts message (you can't start a Hangouts message on the S3, only respond once you receive one). The majority of apps for the S3 also are paid, but there is a Nest one. Do you know if the G Watch R charger works for charging the Urbane 2?

miroul

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
I own both a Samsung Gear S2 3g and a LG Urbane 2nd edition. I got the S2 lately since i wanted to compare it to my LG that i used since April. At first, i was impressed by Tizen as it felt more polished than ANDROID Wear but since i have updated my LG to AW 2.0 Developer Preview 4, i changed my mind and decided to keep the LG and sell the Samsung Gear S2.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
If you don't use Okay Google at all then the S3 should be fine. I underestimated how often I used voice commands to play music and initiate a Hangouts message (you can't start a Hangouts message on the S3, only respond once you receive one). The majority of apps for the S3 also are paid, but there is a Nest one. Do you know if the G Watch R charger works for charging the Urbane 2?
Great news for you man. Android Pay should be available next month with the final developer preview. Source below.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...es-early-next-year-but-wont-be-pixel-branded/

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Great news. I was coming in to reply with the same reference. I was planning to try the current preview, but might just wait until next month now. Though maybe I can't wait.

Urbane is a great device. Only issue I have is that it now typically loses GPS at some point on a run which didn't happen for first several months of use. I use a wristband also for some body separation and better signal.

Cretz

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
This is so awesome. I ordered a used LGU2 which should be here next week. Since I got my Gear S3 from Best Buy, I have until Jan. 15 for a full refund.