I Want to Learn About Linux

Nwirtel12

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey, i want to learn what linux is, could anyone please give me a basic summary of linux, what it can do and any other information?
thanks

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
This may go above and beyond what you want to do. But try learning Unix first, a lot of the commands in Unix are the same as Linux except that Unix uses the Korn shell by default.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
This may go above and beyond what you want to do. But try learning Unix first, a lot of the commands in Unix are the same as Linux except that Unix uses the Korn shell by default.

OSX is also the same as Linux and OSX use Unix as their base.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
OSX is also the same as Linux and OSX use Unix as their base.

OSX is not the same as linux. Linux is open source anyone can copy/modify the source. OSX is closed source nuff said. Linux does not use Unix as a base. It is a Unix clone. Meaning that it does not copy ANY Unix source code. While the two systems are near identical, linux does not share any code with Unix.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
OSX is not the same as linux. Linux is open source anyone can copy/modify the source. OSX is closed source nuff said. Linux does not use Unix as a base. It is a Unix clone. Meaning that it does not copy ANY Unix source code. While the two systems are near identical, linux does not share any code with Unix.

Thanks! I never knew Linux didn't use Unix at its base. But why are terminal commands so similar between my (awesome) Mac and my Ubuntu PC?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I never knew Linux didn't use Unix at its base. But why are terminal commands so similar between my (awesome) Mac and my Ubuntu PC?

Well as I stated earlier, Unix and linux don't share source code, but linux is a clone of Unix. Which means that it has all of the features Unix has (without copying source code) plus a gui (unless it's straight linux then it's just a terminal like unix).

Now to answer your question, there are two main type of Unix. The first invented in the mid 60s in att bell laboratories is Unix, due to lawsuit issues they couldn't license it so they had to keep it open source. About half a decade later Berkeley University, copied that source code but modified it so much that it became an os of its own, Bsdunix (which is closed source).

A few decades later, Apple decides to use Bsdunix as a base, so they acquired a license and began developing it, mac os was the result. So following back from this sentence, that is why they share so many similar commands. OSX is a Unix based operating system, and linux is a Unix clone.

Sorry for the very brief history lesson, just regurgutating what I learned in my dev classes.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Well as I stated earlier, Unix and linux don't share source code, but linux is a clone of Unix. Which means that it has all of the features Unix has (without copying source code) plus a gui.

Now to answer your question, there are two main type of Unix. The first invented in the mid 60s in att bell laboratories is Unix, due to lawsuit issues they couldn't license it so they had to keep it open source. About half a decade later Berkeley University, copied that source code but modified it so much that it became an os of its own, Bsdunix (which is closed source).

A few decades later, Apple decides to use Bsdunix as a base, so they acquired a license and began developing it, mac os was the result. So following back from this sentence, that is why they share so many similar commands. OSX is a Unix based operating system.

Thanks! just a quick question, what version of linux can bring back a machine with 2GB of RAM?

mjf55

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
You can go to distrowatch.org. They list many distributions of linux. You can explore what is offered and compare to the system you plan on using. Many distros gave live CDs so you can try before installing.

Sent from my rooted DROID X2

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Because the bash shell (used on most flavors of desktop Linux) and tcsh (used on OSX) are both derivatives of csh and use similar commands. The underlying OS has nothing to do with this, as bash has even been ported to Windows.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! just a quick question, what version of linux can bring back a machine with 2GB of RAM?

Hehe my system runs linux Mint 14 32 bit, it works fine for developing. It has a pentium 4 prescott (experimental dual core) and 2gigs of dual channel ddr1 ram and it flies. Boot that sucker up, install prelink and preload, and install the liquorix kernel (it's a bit difficult to setup, as you have to build your own video driver for it to work properly, but the kernel comes with a script to do that). That's what my setup is, and I only lag when running system intensive apps. I need to upgrade though so I can start building android from source.

Linux.org is the official linux website, you can get advice from the people who actually build the linux distros, and they have really great guides available to set you know the right direction.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Because the bash shell (used on most flavors of desktop Linux) and tcsh (used on OSX) are both derivatives of csh and use similar commands. The underlying OS has nothing to do with this, as bash has even been ported to Windows.

Boo on windows and cygwin. In my opinion if Microsoft doesn't change its business model they will bite the dust soon.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Hehe my system runs linux Mint 14 32 bit, it works fine for developing. It has a pentium 4 prescott (experimental dual core) and 2gigs of dual channel ddr1 ram and it flies. Boot that sucker up, install prelink and preload, and install the liquorix kernel (it's a bit difficult to setup, as you have to build your own video driver for it to work properly, but the kernel comes with a script to do that). That's what my setup is, and I only lag when running system intensive apps. I need to upgrade though so I can start building android from source.

Linux.org is the official linux website, you can get advice from the people who actually build the linux distros, and they have really great guides available to set you know the right direction.

Well isn't this funny:D my old PC has 2GB of RAM and a Pentium 4 proccecor clocked at 3.4 Ghz an that thing is so slow with windows on it. I will have to have a look at mint even though I prefer Ubuntu:p

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well isn't this funny:D my old PC has 2GB of RAM and a Pentium 4 proccecor clocked at 3.4 Ghz an that thing is so slow with windows on it. I will have to have a look at mint even though I prefer Ubuntu:p

The main distro for mint is Ubuntu based (and most if not all ubuntu packages are compatible with it), but there's also a debian based version. So you know though, mint 15 rc was just released a few weeks ago, so mint 15 stable will be out within a few weeks.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest learning the CLI, even though most distros nowadays have really decent GUIs. Linux is really powerful if one is familiar with the commands, and sometimes it is actually quicker and easier to work in the terminal.