Is it safe to give your password to AppBrain?

orange-man

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I am new to Android and I can't tell from their site whether they are actually part of Google. For AppBrain to function using the website, you need to give them your Gmail password which seems questionable.

Are they part of Google and it is OK to give them my Gmail password? Thanks in advance.

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I do not know if it is OK as I do nor use it. I make it a personal policy not to give my Gmail password to any third party just to be on the safe side.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Genetic_Bloom

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
If you read the page that it's on it says that they'll see your email but not your password. It's a way Google offers to login; Google lets them authorize your account but they don't get to see your password.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
If you read the page that it's on it says that they'll see your email but not your password. It's a way Google offers to login; Google lets them authorize your account but they don't get to see your password.

+1. You'll start seeing this in more apps when Froyo hits -- will be a great easy way to tie an app with your Google account for push notifications, or your twitter login with twitter clients, etc.

As long as the app opens the browser and you have to authorize it at your Google page, only you and Google see it.

zoazim

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
is it still safe to give password to AppBrain ?

But the problem is you also have to login on your mobile phone, with AppBrains app, to sync with AppBrain, and where does your password go then? through the AppBrain prg and then to gmail? hmm... it seems to me that right there, AppBrain picks up your gmail password.

And then we ask again; How safe is it to give your password to AppBrain? :eek: