How to Root the Echo

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
echo_root.jpg

File browser -- if you don't have one, I suggest Astro. There are many others, but Astro is very simple to use and I highly recommend it to those who might be new to the Android platform. Search for "Astro file manager" in the Android Market, and install it on your phone.

Then it's a few easy steps to root:
On your computer, visit the z4root developer's thread at XDA-Developers. Read the first post in the thread carefully, and download the file that's attached. Also, notice the donation link if you feel like passing a few dollars to Ryan.
Attach your phone to your computer, and just like you would drag a music file or picture to your phone, copy the z4root.apk file to your SD card. You can put it in any folder you like, just remember where you put it
Unmount your SDcard from your computer, and unplug it.
Go to menu>settings>applications. Make sure the "unknown sources" box is checked. Then go into the development settings, and make sure USB debugging is checked.
Now open your file manager, and find the z4root.apk on your SD card. Press it, and choose Open App Manager (Astro gives this choice), then press the install button.
Once installed, find the z4root app in your app drawer, and run it. Decide if you need a temporary root, or permanent. Select your choice, and go.

One last step you may want to do if you have chosen to permanently root is install busybox. Search the Android Market for "Busybox by Stephen (Stericson)" and install it. Busybox provides commands like copy and paste to the shell (the inner workings) of your OS.

mr_ed#AC

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, it worked like a charm for me! I couldn't find a mention of the Echo at XDA, so you're a pioneer on this one! Now to ask for support by the ClockworkRecovery guy.
-- Ed​
I wonder how well this is selling? I think it's a little too odd for normal people! ;)

jasonkc25

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I think if the phone retained it's current specs, but was half as thick OR if the phone was it's current size, but had one of the latest processors in it, people on the forums would look on the Echo more favorably. Since it's neither 'sleek and cool' or 'a processing beast' it's immediately dismissed. Which is really too bad, because it's been a great phone in the two weeks that I have had it so far.

aehlae

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The XDA developers link to the file would not directly download to my Kyocera Echo (at the time I had no PC access) so I had to download z4root.apk from 4shared.com - free file sharing and storage .
Once I opened it from there, however, it was super easy!

However, without the information in this article, I would never have found my way to that solution!

Many thanks.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I think so. Also, you do not need the "Kyocera USB Modem" driver at all. I have set the device as disabled in Windows device manager...has no impact on USB storage mode in Android.

Just download the above linked .apk and hope for the best.

Bpage

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Thx a bunch. This phone just improvedcause of this topic. It great to have a full size touch screen keyboard with swype. If this just had 4G it would be top notch.why would they opt out of that market with such a new phone. all androids can run multi apps at once. But when I can open two at once.3d is all missing

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
4G mostly is a lie right now. Few markets have it, and the top speed is only a little better than 3G. The Register has more detail in an article titled WTF is...4G? Part of their larger WTF is... series.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Then probably you will need to do a hard reset, because either the download was bad or something happened during installation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty