Games skipping / Hard Reset on Echo?

nitesbane

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone, was wondering if maybe some people could give me some input. I just bought a used Echo that had a factory reset done it before I got it. I used z4root to root it to remove the Sprint stuff I didn't want (namely, the Nascar, and the three or four shortcuts) to get them out of my app lists. I don't believe my rooting the phone is what caused this, but just so everyone knows what all was done to the phone.

I got my apps and games installed, but noticed with the exception of Pac Man and maybe Angry Birds Rio (I say, "Maybe" because I haven't really noticed it but it still could be happening), all the games i tried would have infrequent skips while playing. They are smooth as silk and then every so often (maybe once every couple of seconds to few seconds), it seems to just skip a bunch of frames.

I unrooted the phone and tried doing the factory reset through the software, afterwards trying the games again, and still getting the problems.

I thought to try to do the hard reset (holding down volume down, powering on), but the menu isn't coming up to clear the data - it goes to the standard reboot procedure. I don't know if I'm supposed to release the volume down after the phone powers on or not, but I've tried it both ways and it just boots up like normal.

I've tried searching a number of websites and forums and didn't come across any complaints about having similar gaming problems as mine, so I'm assuming none of you have them, either. Any ideas as to what happened? Can someone confirm the hard reset procedure for me? Any help would be most appreciated...

-Stu

jasonkc25

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been able to get the into the startup either. When I hold the volume down and power on, the phone turns on and then just sticks at the Kyocera screen. Some other blogs reported success with this method however.
As for skipping in games, I have not noticed anything on my Echo. I'm rooted as well. I'm only assuming you don't have a ton of stuff running in the background that could be eating up memory. Otherwise I'm not really sure what the issue could be.
Maybe try removing any additional apps you have installed and then installing just one of the games and see if the issue still exists.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
If my phone is loaded with stuff going on in the background Angry Birds will hang for like a quarter sec every five min. But for most part even 3D games run fine. If I have any issues, I restart to clear the junk. (helps with memory intensive games like Modern Combat 2)

But no, I can't say I have skipping or glitching in games. Now if only one of the software videos players fixed their audio desync.

nitesbane

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been able to get the into the startup either. When I hold the volume down and power on, the phone turns on and then just sticks at the Kyocera screen. Some other blogs reported success with this method however.
As for skipping in games, I have not noticed anything on my Echo. I'm rooted as well. I'm only assuming you don't have a ton of stuff running in the background that could be eating up memory. Otherwise I'm not really sure what the issue could be.
Maybe try removing any additional apps you have installed and then installing just one of the games and see if the issue still exists.
I took it to the Sprint store and even had them call the "main" Sprint store with all the techs, and they said that you're not supposed to be able to do it. Regardless, I installed a couple of the games that I was having the problem with (Moon Chaser and Hyper Jump <lame games I know, lol>) on the Sprint store's phone, and it had the same problem. The good news is it must not be specific to my phone. The bad news is maybe some of the games I like to play just aren't 100% functional/compatible with the Echo, which is pretty stupid considering it's a new phone model. They both ran fine on my Hero if that tells you anything.

Even though the above pretty much covers it all, for the record I did have everything else closed and I didn't have many apps installed at all.

It's just weird that out of all the forums I sifted through I haven't found anyone else that has reported this problem on any games. The phone's new, but not THAT new.

ducky7272

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I bought my daughter the Echo and she started complaining about it rebooting then it rebooted and is stuck on the Kyocera screen. I took it to the sprint store that we purchased it from and he said sorry you are 2 days past your 30 day warranty and told me I would have to buy her a new phone because they couldn't get it to reboot. We've had the phone for 35 days and it quit working almost two weeks ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty