Tablet for son

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys...

I'm looking to get my son (10 years old, computer savvy for his age) a tablet for xmas. He has email, browses Youtube, but most of all LOVES to play the games on my android phone. I figured if there was a sub-$200 android tablet out there I would take a look.

I'm having a hard time finding anything. A year ago I got my even younger daughter a Coby...piece of crap, so I don't wanna go there. I just need something that has the android market and will actually be somewhat responsive.

Any ideas?

PolishLogic

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
The Vision 8" tablet sounds like might be up your alley. It's right at the $200 mark. While it's not a lighting fast device, I'd definitely say it would be more than adequate for your kid. It has been touted as perfect for kids and non-tech adults.

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I went and got a hp touch pad. Kinda hard to find but loaded android on it and my kids live it. They never knew the difference

sent from my thunderbolt

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. I was also looking for a sub $200 tablet and was able to pick up a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" 3G (Verizon). While I know he probably wouldnt need the 3G coverage, he could use it on Wifi Only. The Galaxy Tab is a great device, and while older, it still allows for games and internet.... I love mine!

I know they are going on eBay for around the $200 mark. If you are willing to buy used, Im sure you could get them for under $200!

If you are willing to spend a little more, you might be able to pickup one of the HTC Evo View's that are for sale on eBay right now. They are for Sprint, but again, no contract would be necessary to use on Wifi. They had a sale on them (1saleaday.com) a couple of weeks ago for $235, so there are quite a few "New-In-box" available on eBay at the moment. I picked up one and am trying to sell it (cant use Sprint like i thought), but due to ebay fees, it means that I had to list it for $265. :(

The HTC Evo View is quite quick and would be great for him. Again, still a 7" tablet, but that is the perfect size for a 10 yr old. This tablet is also expected to get the Honeycomb upgrade (the non 4G version already has) so it has good potential to be kept a little more up to date than the aging Galaxy Tab.

I hope this helps! Good luck! :)

mgm1979

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I went and picked up the Vizio...$189 at Costco - with their return policy, it was worth a chance. I've been playing with it for the last month now (after he goes to bed, of course), trying to figure out what kind of parental controls I can load on there and whatnot - the thing runs pretty well...it doesn't handle HD video as well as my PlayBook, nor some of the graphic intensive games, but all-in-all, I think it'll do more than what he'll need/want it for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38