When will a decent Android-based tablet be available in the US?

mapexvenus

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
The Archos doesn't interest me because it is still running an older version of Android and there is nothing on it's roadmap in terms of upgrade to 2.1 or higher.

I might have to end up buying an iPad.

Apologies for sounding frustrated, but as a firm believer in this platform I am very disappointed that with the plethora of awesome Android phones, there isn't a single Android tablet available in the US (apart from the Archos which I am not interested in).

jimmyt#AC

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Archos is French, and so anything will be manufactured in China even via Japanese traders.
China makes it all including ipad, etc. then stay away from cheaper VIA cpus.

Best bet is to start looking at some of the U.S. dealers that deal in China that have units here. You Pay a premium. A few have newest Android but APAD will not support higher android but the new roms work fine.

But keep your eyes peeled on Aliexpress for newest units til you see what you like.

mindwave

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It appears as though you have 2 choices, from what I have read on 5 other forums my $ wont be in until august then I invest, there is the moonse/apad 2nd generation (ok maybe 4th gen) 7" that are stuck at Android 1.6, BUT seem to have resolved their reliability issues. Thats probably what my wife will get instead of an ereader. Then there is the new 10" based on the ZT-180 that have JUST been released that are getting VERY good reviews from those that have them. Which is probably what I will get.

In My opinion when a place like a camera Store in Lakeland (fl) starts selling them, they are pretty well "mainstreamed" I think that if you are waiting for someone to start selling them at best buy you have a wait until Christmas and probably an extra $150 added onto the price tag.

But thats just my opinion from doing several months of solid reading and trading emails with folks