I have the Nexus 4, should I buy the Nexus 7?

elzafir

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,
I'm in a dilemma here.
Since a month ago, the Nexus 7 16GB Wi-Fi price has come down in my country.
Because it's not sold by Google (it's sold by ASUS distributors), the price was hovering at $320. But now it has come down to $220.
It's getting really hard to resist buying. The 3G version is being sold for $400, which is a heresy.

The reasons why I want the Nexus 7:
  1. I love to read comics. And my Nexus 4 is just to small for it.
  2. Games. I haven't really play any games on my Nexus 4 because it would drain the battery; it's a phone so I can't afford to have it out of juice.
  3. Spreadsheets and occasional presentations on-the-go.
  4. Fairly high resolution screen, when compared to similarly priced tablets (and also the iPad Mini).
  5. Cheap!
  6. I have no problems carrying three devices: a phone, a tablet and a laptop.

But I'm hesitant to press the buy button for the Nexus 7 because of some reasons:
  1. It's Wi-Fi only. And here, free unsecured Wi-Fi hotspots are scarce. That means I have to tether from my Nexus 4. Which will drain the battery. Also, I have no qualms to have two data plans, because data is cheap.
  2. Nexus 7 runs Android. I already have the Nexus 4. That means the exact same apps on both devices. Ergo, less incentive to pull out a Wi-Fi only Nexus 7 when on-the-go.
  3. No back camera. I know, I know, taking pictures from a tablet is stupid. But when my phone is dead, a tablet with a camera will be a good backup.
  4. I have no hate for Apple products. I think the iPad Mini is a great tablet with thin bezels and have great apps. But the screen resolution is abysmal. Also, the price is on the high side.

Should I get the Nexus 7 for cheap?
Or should I wait for the iPad Mini HD, which will solve all of the above cons? The iPad Mini will make my gadget setup perfect, along with my Nexus 4 and a touch Windows 8 Ultrabook (the best of both three worlds).
Or should I get the Nexus 7 now and sell it later to buy the iPad Mini HD?
And is it really worth it getting the Nexus 7 when you have the Nexus 4?

Thanks guys.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Do you know if Google will sell the new Nexus 7 in Indonesia?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet/288727-whos-getting-next-gen-nexus-7-a.html

As for having the phone and tablet on the same OS, I do it also. Books, movies, etc. I like the N7 better.

Is it possible to get a cheap portable hotspot device through your carrier to supply the data juice to your tablet and laptop?

Have you considered Powerbags or a similar solution for the power supply needs? (I love this idea, but be careful to find one that will support the 2.1A charge the N7 needs to be amazing).

I absolutely LOVE my Nexus 7, could not be happier with it. There are some things I could see them adding to make it better, but I've never had anything wrong with it or that felt "missing".

Good luck with your search and check out the Nexus 7 forums if you have any questions about it, etc.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet/

Welcome to the forums!

elzafir

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
My guts tell me Google won't sell the new Nexus 7 in Indonesia.
It will be ASUS who sells it, with an inflated price of additional $120 for each model.
And it won't be available right off the bat, I expect a 6 month delay after the US launch.

As for having the phone and tablet on the same OS, I do it also. Books, movies, etc. I like the N7 better.
Yeah I agree. Android is awesome. It just that, with my Nexus 4, won't the Nexus 7 be redundant?
How do you split your usage between your Android phone and the Nexus 7?

Is it possible to get a cheap portable hotspot device through your carrier to supply the data juice to your tablet and laptop?
Yes, there are some cheap MiFis available here, would cost me almost $50, though.

Have you considered Powerbags or a similar solution for the power supply needs? (I love this idea, but be careful to find one that will support the 2.1A charge the N7 needs to be amazing).
I already have a 7000mAh with 1A and 2.1A outputs. But it's a bit bulky and not very pocketable. I only use it if my phone's battery is under 20%.

I absolutely LOVE my Nexus 7, could not be happier with it. There are some things I could see them adding to make it better, but I've never had anything wrong with it or that felt "missing".
Good luck with your search and check out the Nexus 7 forums if you have any questions about it, etc.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet/
Welcome to the forums!
Thanks so much for your reply!

If anybody else care to share their thoughts, I will be eternally grateful.

androidfan1x

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
you shouldn't buy the current nexus 7, wait for the next generation, probably coming out in the next coming months, seems like it has a back camera

elzafir

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
you shouldn't buy the current nexus 7, wait for the next generation, probably coming out in the next coming months, seems like it has a back camera

But as I stated above, the next-gen N7 probably won't be sold in Indonesia until Q2 2014
(estimate based on 1st-gen N7 release in Indonesia, as I suspect Asus would probably prioritize supply for the US in the first six months; same pattern goes for the iPhone and iPad, always 3 to 6 months late).

And it will definitely cost $320 for the Wi-Fi and $400 for the 3G version.
The current gen Wi-Fi version I could get right now for only $200.

Considering the facts, will getting the N7 now for cheap be a bad decision?