Moto G 3rd Gen Won't detect SIM

Ismael Chamu

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi y'all!
So I just received a brand new Moto G 3rd Gen from the Moto Maker website and it was well worth the wait.
HOWEVER my Moto G doesn't detect my sim cards , I've tried my Cricket Wireless SIM, T-Mobile, and Metro PCS but no success. All three Cards are active and working but my phone won't detect them, I can only make emergency calls.
It's the 2 gig model brand new from Motorola. Can someone PLEASE HELP ME I really need to use my phone for work and am currently disconnected from the world!
Thanks y'all!

Posted via the Android Central App

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I was stupid and tried putting the micro sim card in the sim slot. I should have realized that something was wrong since it was obviously not a snug fit. Sim cards come in 3 sizes and this phone uses the middle size, not the tiny size that my card is. Luckily I still had the plastic adapter for the middle size; I had been using the large adapter with my old phone. It was very tricky getting the sim card and its adapter into the slot; the sim card kept coming out of the adapter.

So make sure you're using the adapter if your sim card is the tiny size.

Go Bears!

Dale B

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Better yet, never use adapters. I ruined the SIM receiver in my Moto by using an adapter that ended up getting stuck when the card slipped out
. Moto says don't use one, and they are right. Beware if you have your service send you a new SIM, they will often only send a nano size with a set of cheap adapters. Generally, if you go to the kiosk they will put the right size SIM in your phone. Let them take the risk putting it in.
Some blame Motorola for having a vulnerable SIM contacts. That may be true, but is only half the problem.
Most adapters, or cut down SIM cards may not fit properly, usually due to a less than precise cut or excess flash. There are better quality adapters and in some phones with more robust contacts that may well tolerate some slop. YMMV

mabr82

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I was stupid and tried putting the micro sim card in the sim slot. I should have realized that something was wrong since it was obviously not a snug fit. Sim cards come in 3 sizes and this phone uses the middle size, not the tiny size that my card is. Luckily I still had the plastic adapter for the middle size; I had been using the large adapter with my old phone. It was very tricky getting the sim card and its adapter into the slot; the sim card kept coming out of the adapter.

So make sure you're using the adapter if your sim card is the tiny size.

Go Bears!

I assume you meant nano sim since the Moto G uses a micro sim.

I'm a little concerned however as I've got to cut my wifes standard sim to micro (long story about her pay and go sim).

Hopefully will work ok.... I'll let you know when the phone arrives.

mabr82

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Update

Forgot to confirm but Mini sim has been cut to micro sim and it works fine.

Phew

momboy

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem!

I purchased the Moto G 3rd gen. in December in Germany, unlocked, no carrier contract... I put my German micro SIM into the phone and it was not working... But when I put my Serbian SIM into the phone, it works fine... So I figured, I'll order a new German SIM from my carrier... They sent me the new SIM in 3 sizes, I took the middle micro SIM, put it in the phone and it still doesn't work! In my old phone both the Serbian and the German SIMs are recognized by the phone and they work without any problem... The only difference is that the Serbian SIM has no PIN once I start my old phone, and the German SIM always requires from me to type in the PIN before I start using it... HELP! :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87