High Capacity MicroSD Card

manhuco

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I´m looking for recommendations for high capacity microSD cards (128 gb or even higher, if possible). I know the specs say only up to 32 gb, but a number of people have written that they´ve used 128 gb cards with no problem.

Also, will I have to reformat the card before using it, because of the SDXC file system on higher capacity cards ?

Thanks in advance.

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I always recommend reformatting any SD card before use, every time you get one. It's just good sense to make sure it is fresh and ready to go.

As to your question about 128GB cards, I tell people to stick with either Samsung or SanDisk cards. The quality of those cards is consistent and the don't tend to burn out on me like PNY and other knock-off brands have done to me in the past.

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
+1 for the SanDisk cards. I have a 32gb SanDisk ultra that I've been using for four years without any problems. I've probably loaded and deleted upwards of 2tb of data (movies mostly) and it still works like brand new.

manhuco

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
@krisguy @riggerman

Thanks for the replies. I´m a bit confused about the potential incompatabilities between sdhc and sdxc cards due to the different filesystems they use. Won´t putting a sdxc card in a device that is meant for sdhc cards (the moto g) cause problems ?

Thanks in advance

manhuco

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the reply. You anticipated my final question: You're positive that the Moto g 2015 supports exfat ?

If so, do you recommend that I format it to exfat when I install the card, or can I use it out the box as is ? Also, is there any problem mounting an exfat card to a PC running windows 8 ?

One final question: I'm thinking of getting a Samsung 128 GB microSD card, class10. Any opinions ?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the reply. You anticipated my final question: You're positive that the Moto g 2015 supports exfat ?

If so, do you recommend that I format it to exfat when I install the card, or can I use it out the box as is ? Also, is there any problem mounting an exfat card to a PC running windows 8 ?

One final question: I'm thinking of getting a Samsung 128 GB microSD card, class10. Any opinions ?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

It supports exFat, but just allow the phone to format it, it doesn't prompt you for type.

The Samsung EVO+ is a great card... Stay with UHS1 or better though, class 10 just isn't fast enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codex_umbra