Moto G as Second Phone for Windows Phone User

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I use Windows Phone as my daily driver and was considering the new iPhone, the LG G3 or the Note 4 since it doesn't look like much is coming with Windows until Windows 10. I'm not really blown away by any of them, so I thought I might look at activating a new line on AT&T and getting a Moto G. With the $100 rebate for activating a new line, the phone would only cost $79.00. My question is whether this phone is good enough to get a fair idea of the Android experience. I would probably use it as a back-up, non-business phone and try out some of the local/specialized apps that aren't available on WP. The threads on the Moto G seem to indicate that the phone is pretty decent for the money, but I do see some connectivity and Kit Kat-related complaints. Will this phone give me a good idea of the Android experience or am I likely to get frustrated and want a better Android phone? Thanks for the thoughts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Moto G gets almost universal praise for its performance and features, despite its budget price. I have seen some threads on issues related to the 4.4.4 update, but it seems like those are relatively limited occurrences. Keep in mind that the 2013 Moto G comes in an LTE and non-LTE variety, so choose accordingly. The non-LTE version should still be able to access AT&T's HSPA+ speeds, which are usually pretty fast. Just don't use it on Verizon, since Verizon 3G is still pretty slow in most areas of the country.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
My primary phone is a Droid Maxx on Verizon. I had an AT&T land-line available to port (closing down the house of a deceased relative) and have been wanting to try out GSM carriers without porting my VZW number. I picked up a 1st Gen G LTE on Amazon for $200, and ported to GoPhone prepaid. I also got a 32GB Class 10 micro SD card, and the Moto Flip Shell.

It is very much like the Maxx, except it does not have the Active Display. One advantage over the Maxx is it has an FM tuner. It is smaller than the Maxx. For me that's both good (fits in a pocket) and bad (I like the bigger display).

tl;dr version - yes, the G is a GREAT introduction to "almost vanilla" Android and a very good phone on its own merits. And yes, the LTE is available only on the 1st Generation (2013) GSM unit, not on the Verizon-compatible model.

tl;dr on the AT&T vs. VZW - VZW typically has the speed advantage,and generally the coverage advantage, but I am still testing that.

fdalbor

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I own a 820 as my main phone and I use a moto g LTE as my backup. I got the moto g not just as a backup, but to also keep up with android. The g is a very good phone almost as good as the 820. It is perfect for what you want to do. I highly recommend it and this is coming from a Windows phone man.

Posted via the Android Central App

Nvidiance

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
The Moto G is a spectacular phone, and for the price it's a steal!

Pros:
  1. Build Quality
  2. Screen
  3. Asthetics
  4. Software Updates

Cons:
  1. No NFC
  2. No Expandable Storage (Some Models)
  3. No 4G (Some Models)
  4. None Removable Battery (who cares)
  5. CAMERA (oh man it's bad up in here)

Disclosure: I'm Using ART Runtime

Over all I've been using this phone as my daily driver for a while now and not once has it lagged.
No dropped calls on my end, traveling in areas like New York, New Jersey and North Bergen.
The phone feels nice in the hand and one handed use is possible (when you're in bed ;) )

I would recommend this phone in a heartbeat, unless you're a camera fanatic

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Me2s