Android 6.0 Marshmallow

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I received my notification to upgrade to Marshmallow (Retail 8/1 GB model XT1541, Spain) , the thing is I have some apps installed on the SD card (Facebook Messenger and a couple of games for my daughter basically) and I would like to know the procedure for a smooth, not too much complicated upgrade, do I need to clear apps cache / move back apps to internal storage ?

Also, is Marshmallow running as smooth as 5.1.1 on the "peasant" 1 GB RAM Moto G 2015 ? If Marshmallow takes up more RAM while not providing any real advantage then it's not great for me (Google Now on Tap is still not available in Spanish and when the time comes it would be barebones). My XT1541 runs buttery smooth, snappy and fast on 5.1.1 with the default Google Now launcher, if the device is going to perform worse after the upgrade then I won't bother upgrading. Thanks in advance for suggestions and feedback.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to do anything, but backup any personal stuff just in case (photos, music, etc.) and make sure your stuff is backed up to Google account. This isn't really necessary but if something doesn't go right you might need to factory default after the update (it's rare though).

Marshmallow is solid, battery life is roughly the same for most people, and memory management is improved. In general performance is improved in both 1GB and 2GB versions. You also get the System UI Tuner, ability to integrate external storage into internal storage (very nice, especially for 8GB models). The only real bug is OTG is not working, similar to before the latest Lollipop update.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks ! Really appreciate the feedback. I guess I will give Marshmallow a go then, I don't use OTG at the moment but is there a fix for it / future fix ?

As for turning SD storage into internal storage, I believe you need a top of the line, really expensive SD card to match, if it's even possible, the speed of the internal NAND storage memory. Furthermore, the resulting available storage space would not be 8 + 32 (in my case with a 32 GB SD card) but only 32 GB, Marshmallow only uses the new formatted device as system storage (there's no access to a "double" internal system storage). I reckon that would be a pain for engineers but, as with every tech these days, it could be fixed with time... but in that time the number of 8 GB devices will be almost negligible.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks ! Really appreciate the feedback. I guess I will give Marshmallow a go then, I don't use OTG at the moment but is there a fix for it / future fix ?

As for turning SD storage into internal storage, I believe you need a top of the line, really expensive SD card to match, if it's even possible, the speed of the internal NAND storage memory. Furthermore, the resulting available storage space would not be 8 + 32 (in my case with a 32 GB SD card) but only 32 GB, Marshmallow only uses the new formatted device as system storage (there's no access to a "double" internal system storage). I reckon that would be a pain for engineers but, as with every tech these days, it could be fixed with time... but in that time the number of 8 GB devices will be almost negligible.

I am sure OTG will get fixed, this was a problem with Lollipop for a long time then the last Lollipop OTA fixed it, my guess is the fix didn't migrate to Marshmallow and it will be fixed in the future.

Not sure what you mean about "really expensive" card, I use a 64GB Samsung EVO, was about $20, works fine. Any standard UHS-1/Class10 card should work fine, which probably 80%+ of all modern cards fall in this category and all work well. On of friends uses a $16 64GB Microcenter generic card, it's Class 10 and work fine. Android will often complain of access speed, but it seems to on every card regardless of speed.

Don't buy I to all the rumors, get the facts...

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well thanks for the explanation then ! my SD card is also a Samsung EVO UHS-1/class 10 but 32 GB (about 10 Euros, cheap) but when reading about the new Marshmallow features they mentioned you would need a professional SD card, guess they were just speculating or simple talking out off their... whatever, I will give that new Marshmallow a try for sure. Good day friend !

Cliff Woolfork

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
My impressions so far using Marshmallow on the 8GB/1GB Moto G.

* battery life is better, Doze seems to work as advertised
* System Tuner is a nice touch. It reminds me of my Xperia Z3
* memory management has improved, it feels "speedier"
* app permissions are my favorite update
* Google Play Music will NOT download to external memory anymore, hope this is fixed soon, I'm now limited on what music I can keep on my phone
* speaking of SD cards, mine is apparently "slow", using a 32GB Sandisk Ultra (Class10 UHS-1), Facebook app starts and runs slow using the SD card, so I put it back on internal memory
* the Marshmallow update makes me want to fork over $220 on the 16GB version, something I should have done from the beginning... Lol

Overall though, I'm happy to be among the few owners of a non Nexus device running the latest.

Posted via the Android Central App

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I was going to upgrade to Marshmallow this morning but then I read the "Google Play music will not download to external memory" bug.... basically Google Play Music is the app I use the most apart from Calls / WhatsApp, my model is 8 GB so I have no other option but waiting for a fix, is it a Marshmallow bug or a Google play music bug ? I guess operating system bug will take longer to fix / distribute... this would mean I won't be upgrading any time soon, oh well... guess 5.1.1 is good enough.

I would have bought the 16 GB / 2 GB RAM model too but then again my 8 GB / 1 GB model was a flash sale on Amazon for $119 compared to the 2 GB model that fluctuates between $190 and $215, considering I usually buy the best "value for money" (budget phone) every year or so I thought the XT1541 was good for 12-16 months and those $70 I saved get put aside for next upgrade.

Come this time next year my upgrade should include at least 16 GB of internal memory or more and of course a minimum of 2 GB of RAM (hopefully there's a "Moto G4 2016 by Lenovo" as competent as the Moto G3 2015 which is the best value for money phone I've ever had).

Last edited:

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
My impressions so far using Marshmallow on the 8GB/1GB Moto G.

* Google Play Music will NOT download to external memory anymore, hope this is fixed soon, I'm now limited on what music I can keep on my phone

I made some comments about this above but, have you tried formatting the SD card (from the settings menu in Marshmallow) as "External storage data" ? seems to work for some people even if the SD card was already formatted - brand new.

Also, you mention the phone feels "speedier" on Marshmallow, have you noticed more refreshing going on (and more apps being closed in the background compared to 5.1.1) ?

Cliff Woolfork

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I made some comments about this above but, have you tried formatting the SD card (from the settings menu in Marshmallow) as "External storage data" ? seems to work for some people even if the SD card was already formatted - brand new.

Also, you mention the phone feels "speedier" on Marshmallow, have you noticed more refreshing going on (and more apps being closed in the background compared to 5.1.1) ?

No matter how I format my SD card, it won't transfer music or the Play Music app itself to the SD card. Google downloads the music as cache I believe.

Most my apps on the phone are 10-150MB in size, then there's Play Music sitting at 2.1GB, which is about a tenth of the total music I have.

Seems like I have MORE running in the background but it still feels faster. I haven't really paid much attention to what's running. Typically close every app once I'm done.

I'm gonna end up buying another Moto G but this time, get the proper one for my needs. I'll end up selling this 8gb/1gb model.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto G³

bking1901

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
any advice for fixing a wifi battery drain? ever since I updated to marshmallow my battery life has taken a significant hit, with wifi being the number 1 culprit at the top of my battery usage screen, above screen and all others.

also, if there's a way to revert back to lollipop I'd love to hear that as well. I'm not very impressed with marshmallow and would rather switch back to lollipop when my battery life was great.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
any advice for fixing a wifi battery drain? ever since I updated to marshmallow my battery life has taken a significant hit, with wifi being the number 1 culprit at the top of my battery usage screen, above screen and all others.

also, if there's a way to revert back to lollipop I'd love to hear that as well. I'm not very impressed with marshmallow and would rather switch back to lollipop when my battery life was great.

You could try these instructions. They worked for X Play owners with a similar WiFi drain.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=630902
moto x play facing wifi battery drainage issue after 6.0 marshmallow update

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
So your 8gb XT1541 got M? Hopefully my 16gb XT1541 will get it soon!

Posted from my Moto G (2015) on the Android Central app.

yes I got the notification to upgrade yesterday... but conflicting reports on Marshmallow battery drainage, the claims of some savvy users stating the 1 GB model on Marshmallow is hit by frequent apps "refreshing" compared to 5.1.1 and the Google Play Music bug / SD Cards performing slower (maybe since the code to access them has been rewritten in order to allow for both system-memory "mode" and external-data "mode") all making me sit and wait and not wanting to upgrade anytime soon.

I don't know about other builds, but the firmware on my 8/1 GB model running default Google Launcher on 5.1.1 is amazing when it comes to speed, smooth operation, battery (Fascinating how I get always 7+ hours of screen time on auto-brightness and it still reaches 10% battery after 40+ hours) and even multitasking, it really feels like Motorola / Lenovo built this firmware carefully thinking about the available RAM and how to get the most out of it using the latest tech from Android 5.1.1).

For me there' s no really a need to upgrade unless some critical app needs to run on M, which I find highly unlikely.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

The Marshmallow WiFi bug was fixed a long time ago and was implemented into the Moto G's update, so careful with Google search results. Honestly, as I tell everyone with unexplained issues after an upgrade, try the common things (reboot, clear cache, etc), and then factory reset.

BTW, it is possible to downgrade to Lollipop, sort of, you will still have a Marshmallow bootloader but everything will be Lollipop, it works fine but until you flash a full factory Marshmallow firmware image, you can never take another OTA or you could brick your device due to a bootloader/firmware mismatch.

truelitistnot

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
My impressions for Marshmellow (Android 6) on Moto G (2015);

It's no big deal. No significant changes, at least nothing to get excited about over Lollipop.

Android 6.0 has introduced loads of bugs; especially the hot phone/battery draining problems. Non-responsive phone, especially coming out of lockscreen problem. SD card problems. WIFI connection problems. And other issues.

I am experiencing the hot phone/battery drain issues, SD card issues and the non responsive phone issues.

Android 6 update in my opinion is buggy as hell and doesn't offer anything worth the hassle of all the bugs.

I'm going back to Lollipop which was incredibly stable on my Moto G 2015. I never had any problem on lollipop. Android 6 has been loads of problems.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My impressions for Marshmellow (Android 6) on Moto G (2015);

It's no big deal. No significant changes, at least nothing to get excited about over Lollipop.

Android 6.0 has introduced loads of bugs; especially the hot phone/battery draining problems. Non-responsive phone, especially coming out of lockscreen problem. SD card problems. WIFI connection problems. And other issues.

I am experiencing the hot phone/battery drain issues, SD card issues and the non responsive phone issues.

Android 6 update in my opinion is buggy as hell and doesn't offer anything worth the hassle of all the bugs.

I'm going back to Lollipop which was incredibly stable on my Moto G 2015. I never had any problem on lollipop. Android 6 has been loads of problems.

Factory reset... These are not common bugs, except SD issues, all should be fixed with factory default. SD problem is very common and has a simple fix, but I think your situation calls for more drastic measures

sacrdandprofne

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm getting great battery results so far.
4bd5eb2742351aaba8b8e9368678b2d4.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana