How to disable swipe lock screen?

tyler1030

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My last 2 smartphones I liked not having a lock screen. However, my new Moto G4 does not have a "none" option for lock screen. I don't like having to swipe every time in order to use my phone. Anyway to have no lock screen?

Per another post, I disabled the Android Device Manager and reset phone, but "none" option still not there...

Thanks.

Last edited:

selw0nk

May 6, 2012
Visit site
My last 2 smartphones I liked not having a lock screen. However, my new Moto G4 does not have a "none" option for lock screen. I don't like having to swipe every time in order to use my phone. Anyway to have no lock screen?

Per another post, I disabled the Android Device Manager and reset phone, but "non" option still not there...

Thanks.

My Moto G4 has the option for "None" for the lock screen.

ws29lP9.png

fITDg5U.png

tyler1030

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What version of Android do you have? I have 6.0.1.

Other thoughts of why it is this way if it shouldn't:
- The (new) feature that anytime you pick up/move the phone, it shows the lock screen. Maybe there is a way to disable it (so you have to press power button to turn on screen)?
- This phone was originally an Amazon Ads phone. However, I paid the $50 to turn it off, did a factory data reset, and then disabled all remaining Amazon apps.

I've called Motorola support and have received mixed messages. Some say the "none" option is no longer supported by Android, whereas others have said it should be there...

Last edited:

selw0nk

May 6, 2012
Visit site
What version of Android do you have? I have 6.0.1.

Other thoughts of why it is this way if it shouldn't:
- The (new) feature that anytime you pick up/move the phone, it shows the lock screen. Maybe there is a way to disable it (so you have to press power button to turn on screen)?
- This phone was originally an Amazon Ads phone. However, I paid the $50 to turn it off, did a factory data reset, and then disabled all remaining Amazon apps.

I've call Motorola support and have received mixed messages. Some say the "none" option is no longer supported by Android, whereas others have said it should be there...

I am on the same version as you Android 6.0.1

Did you uncheck "Power button instantly locks"? Maybe you have some type of Smart Lock security on possibly. Yes, there is a way to disable when you pick up/move the phone and display turns on. The app is called Moto, click on Display, uncheck On. That should do the trick, test it and see how it works. I have the unlocked version I bought at my local Fry's Elelctronics.

wSrVavZ.png

f6YN9lt.png

tyler1030

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Where is the "Power button instantly locks" checkbox? Don't see it.

In terms of the Moto app, I did what you suggested and turned off Display features, but still no "none" option for lock screen. I wonder if it's Amazon's bloat that turns off this feature...

tyler1030

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Per my original post, if it was only that easy. I was including my screenshot to show that I don't see "Power Button Instantly Locks" setting as suggested.

Screenshot_20170103-081505.jpg

tyler1030

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok, yeah, if I turn on a Lock (e.g., pattern), there is a setting about the power button locking.

Without the "none" lock option, still trying to figure out the best setup for me. Here are the 2 options I'm aware of and considering:

1) Swipe screen only. The notifications on the swipe screen are growing on me, and I like the Moto feature where this screen appears if you just lift the phone (so at least you don't have to press the power button before swiping). But I still don't like that if I'm doing something and I turn off screen for a few seconds or it goes to sleep, in order to continue with what I was doing, I have to swipe. Seems like an inefficient and annoying step.

2) Lock enabled with power button lock setting off and time until lock at max of 50 minutes. If less than 50 minutes, this is pretty good (don't have to swipe to pick up where I left off), although I give up easy notifications on lock screen (I have to swipe down on main screen to see notifications). After 50 minutes, I don't like that I do have to unlock the phone.

Hmm...any advice, perhaps something I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

selw0nk

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok, yeah, if I turn on a Lock (e.g., pattern), there is a setting about the power button locking.

Without the "none" lock option, still trying to figure out the best setup for me. Here are the 2 options I'm aware of and considering:

1) Swipe screen only. The notifications on the swipe screen are growing on me, and I like the Moto feature where this screen appears if you just lift the phone (so at least you don't have to press the power button before swiping). But I still don't like that if I'm doing something and I turn off screen for a few seconds or it goes to sleep, in order to continue with what I was doing, I have to swipe. Seems like an inefficient and annoying step.

2) Lock enabled with power button lock setting off and time until lock at max of 50 minutes. If less than 50 minutes, this is pretty good (don't have to swipe to pick up where I left off), although I give up easy notifications on lock screen (I have to swipe down on main screen to see notifications). After 50 minutes, I don't like that I do have to unlock the phone.

Hmm...any advice, perhaps something I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

For your situation, I'd probably go with the Swipe screen only.