Moto G5 plus question.

skinnybandit

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Samsung galaxy S6 on Sprint. I'm looking for another phone, my galaxy s6 battery is not lasting very long any more, 4 hours if I'm lucky, and the touch screen is starting to go as well. I have been looking at the moto G5 plus, and it looks like a good phone. Is it as good or better than the S6 that I currently own? Is there any other phones that you guys would recommend other than the G5 that I can buy outright at a similar price on the sprint network? I don't want to do a contract anymore. What attracted me to the G5 is that I can buy it outright for only $229.00 and that I can use it on the sprint network, most unlocked phones only work on GSM networks. Thanks for your help.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It's not a bad phone for the money. I have the 4GB/64GB version. It's not without it's issues. Noise while recording video and the inability to use Enhanced Calling on Verizon (poor call quality) are common complaints. Positives are a decent (if a bit dim) screen, a clean Android interface, snappy performance and a Sd card slot.

One big negative (which admittedly bothers some people more than others) is Lenovo's/Motorola's dismal record of providing security patches. The G5 is still on the January patch.

I agree with you about unlocked phones. That is one of the reasons I bought the G5.

Last edited:

skinnybandit

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I also heard that the G5 has no compass, is that true? Does the GPS on your G5 work alright? I don't do allot on my phone, I only do some text messaging, phone calls here and there, and when I'm connected to WiFi YouTube videos, and watch some videos online. I don't have on my phone. So for these things I do on my phone, do you think the G5 is good enough? Also how's the battery life? Because on my S6 now it's been terrible since day 1. Thanks again.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah there isn't a compass. I haven't really used the GPS very much but I haven't noticed any issues using Maps.

Battery life is good. I'm not a power user by any stretch but I probably could get two or three days out of a charge if I had to.

Your usage seems similar to mine and the phone should be more than adequate.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The best unlocked phones in this price range are mostly GSM so they won't work on Sprint unfortunately. I'm sure there are others but I don't know of any specificly.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I chose the G5 Plus 64GB for my teenager. Primarily due to Kris and works on Verizon. The only problem we have is the Google app continues to freeze. He can't get to the Google Now page or use Google search from home screen

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
One other thing I just remembered was that the US model does not have NFC. That wasn't a deal breaker for me personally but may be for some people.

Goodspike

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Not sure about the compass comment. You can add a compass app, and it works very well compared to my prior Android phones. Still not perfect, but it works.