Android Nougat version, send contact as plain SMS, not as MMS or VC card

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am using Motorola G5s Plus, with Android 7.1.1 (Nougat version). When I try to share a contact it goes as an MMS or a VC card which many a times incompatible with receivers mobile and so causes problem.

Thanks and Regards,

Manoj

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! My understanding is that contacts cards have to be sent as MMS. If you want to send as SMS, you can try a 3rd party app like Share Contacts.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am using Motorola G5s Plus, with Android 7.1.1 (Nougat version). When I try to share a contact it goes as an MMS or a VC card which many a times incompatible with receivers mobile and so causes problem.

Thanks and Regards,

Manoj

Might be better off manually typing or cutting and pasting it. SMS is supposed to be text only.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Might be better off manually typing or cutting and pasting it. SMS is supposed to be text only.
This is the best way to share a contact phone number if you want to use SMS. Open the Contacts app - tap on the avatar to select one - long press the phone number and 'copy to clipboard'. Go to the Messages app - open new message or select an existent thread - long press on the text window and 'Paste'.

Other possibilities are using MMS or apps like WhatsApp, Hangouts, etc.

A Bochur

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
on my s5 if i go into my stock messaging app i press the attach file icon, i then select contacts, then find the contact i want to send, when selected it asks me if i want to send as text or v card

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
on my s5 if i go into my stock messaging app i press the attach file icon, i then select contacts, then find the contact i want to send, when selected it asks me if i want to send as text or v card

But I believe that will get sent as MMS, correct? The OP wants to know if the info can be sent as SMS.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
But I believe that will get sent as MMS, correct? The OP wants to know if the info can be sent as SMS.
Nope. Samsungs have the feature to actually send the contact as an sms message. Choosing contact>share>text on a Samsung creates an SMS that contains only the full name and primary contact numbers.

It may be a Samsung feature and not a default feature of Android.