MotoMods: Style Shells

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Motomods: Style Shells

This is good, and the way it should be (and really, if they are keeping MotoMaker around, completely expected). However, if a style shell will be included with every phone, why did Moto go to so much trouble to point out how thin the phone is without the mods? If they expect everyone to use at least the style mod (as the Verge article claims), why is thinness of the base phone a talking point?

Sometimes I feel like they made the phone thin simply because they could, not because it was a good idea.

I think they feel that need to market the phone with the mod connectors exposed so people actually see them, as in they're a feature not a hidden feature.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

On the Erica Griffin video she showed that the leather shell didn't fit flush fwiw. Maybe they'll have time to adjust that.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

-If the style shell wasn't removable then the phone would be that much thicker when you snapped on a new mod.

-If the style shell has to be removable, why not polish the back of the device and let people use one without a style mod?

-If the back of the phone can be used without a style mod, why not advertise it as super thin?

I'd say its a combination of engineering and marketing.

I think they feel that need to market the phone with the mod connectors exposed so people actually see them, as in they're a feature not a hidden feature.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

I get all that, but it seems they would have been more effective by saying something along the lines of "With the basic style shell, which all phones will come with, the Moto Z is this thin. And see, you can pop off the shell for a phone that's even thinner." It's like advertising that a hamburger only has 300 calories with just meat and bun, and not noting the caloric count when you add in cheese, veggies, and sauces. You know, the things most people would add to their burger.

But then I'm not someone for whom the thickness of a phone really matters. Is it thinner than my OG HTC Evo? Yes? Awesome, check off that box. What else you got? :)

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I get all that, but it seems they would have been more effective by saying something along the lines of "With the basic style shell, which all phones will come with, the Moto Z is this thin. And see, you can pop off the shell for a phone that's even thinner." It's like advertising that a hamburger only has 300 calories with just meat and bun, and not noting the caloric count when you add in cheese, veggies, and sauces. You know, the things most people would add to their burger.
Never pursue a career in sales or marketing :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

So this seems like the most obvious one for third parties to pick up on - the case market can pretty easily shift to the shell market and create some very interesting options.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87