Battery mod

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My moto z came with a bumper which allows me to change mods, so if you count that as a case, then sure. If you get one of the versions of the moto z without the bumper though, I'm not sure if there is anywhere you can buy bumpers?

As far as a case that covers the back and sides of your phone, I don't believe there is a case out there designed to work with the battery mod

Which Moto Z?

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Which Moto Z?

I think what you get with your Moto Z depends on which country you buy from. I bought my standard Moto Z from Clove, a UK online store, as it's not available in Australia yet. Instead of a wood grain style shell like I saw in all the USA Moto Z Droid unboxings, I received a black nylon style shell, plus a plastic bumper.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I bought my Z from Lenovo direct here in the UK. The bumper case was in the box with the phone.

I guess some TPU case manufacturers have the spec and dimensions of the phone and leave the ports / connections open and assume the work. As I said, I'll be staying away unless I get one for mod free use which is a possibility since the battery is performing better than I imagined it would.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
While I enjoy the added battery life from the mod the weight is starting to get to me. I took the mod off to show someone how it works and the difference was so stark I left the mod off for a bit.

Why would you leave it on? When I use the mod and it has become depleted I take it off and wait until I can recharge it on the phone. I do wish that there was a way to charge the Tumi (non wireless charging) off the phone.

ezekielguy86

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Im considering returning my battery mod. I have the regular Z and Im not sure if the capacity is correct. For instance my phone was at 41% and I put my full charged mode on. The phone is at 57% with the mod all the way down too 56%. I don't know the math but it seems a bit much for me. I really like the idea of it and want it too work as I see it being very helpful but need it too work at full capacity.

Kenakth

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Im considering returning my battery mod. I have the regular Z and Im not sure if the capacity is correct. For instance my phone was at 41% and I put my full charged mode on. The phone is at 57% with the mod all the way down too 56%. I don't know the math but it seems a bit much for me. I really like the idea of it and want it too work as I see it being very helpful but need it too work at full capacity.

It depends on a few things. Are you using the phone while the battery mod is charging, or is that with the phone in standby mode, without use? Also, external battery packs do not charge a battery with 100% efficiency. I don't know about the battery mod, but often external batteries have to do some voltage conversions. This results in roughly a 1/2 to 2/3 efficiency as far as charging a battery. An example assuming this is true for the battery mod:

Battery mod says its capacity is 2200 mAH. Moto Z battery is 2600 mAH, and its battery is depleted when the fully charged battery mod is attached.

(2200 mAH)*(2/3) = 1467 mAH charged in the Moto Z, so the Moto Z will be charged to about 56%. If you are using the mod during this, it will be lower.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with Ben here.
I would charge them both to 100% and then experiment from there.

ezekielguy86

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Ok I did a test last night. Moto Z at 21% and fully charged Moto Mod. Put the phone in airplane mode over night and let the mod do its thing. Woke up this morning too the mod at Zero and the phone only at 80%. The mod is 85% capacity too the phones internal battery and I believe it should have fully charged the phone and very little too spare on the mod or at least within a couple %. Please let me know if Im thinking of this wrong.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
You're thinking about this wrong. First, even in airplane mode you will lose some battery overnight. More importantly, an external battery pack, which the mod basically is, is only about 70% efficient in charging an internal battery. Plus the external battery is smaller than the internal one. Given all that, I think it did pretty well unless I'm missing something.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Just to say the battery is proving consistent. Today right now I'm at 41% battery with 3 hours 3 minutes SOT.

I think I'll give the battery pack a miss for now.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok I did a test last night. Moto Z at 21% and fully charged Moto Mod. Put the phone in airplane mode over night and let the mod do its thing. Woke up this morning too the mod at Zero and the phone only at 80%. The mod is 85% capacity too the phones internal battery and I believe it should have fully charged the phone and very little too spare on the mod or at least within a couple %. Please let me know if Im thinking of this wrong.
Charge both to 100%. Then attach the mod. First set the mod in efficiency mode. It will keep your phone at 80% until the mod battery is depleted.
Then I would charge both again and put the mod on but not in efficiency mode. See how long that keeps your phone at 100%.

There are a lot of things that can drain a battery and if you already know this just ignore the rest of this post.
Install Gsam Battery Monitor. Just start it and let it run. The main Gsam screen gives a lot of good information but at the bottom is an icon that looks like a vacuum cleaner. Touch that and it will show you for a charge cycle what apps are using battery and how much.

I would also install Signal Check Lite. This will measure your 4g signal strength.

Apps running in the background and 4g signal strength can really use a lot of battery. Try these and see if it gives you better information.

Pirokey

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Hello.

I've only had the Incipio battery mod for a few days and so far only ever charged it with the Motorola charger supplied with the phone. Today the battery mod and phone got really low (mod 0%, phone 15%). I powered off the phone and charged it with my old Nexus 6 charger. It charged to 100% but I could not see the mod charging. Powered the phone on, it gave the same "waiting to charge Moto Mod" message some of you have noticed. I decided to search around the net and found this thread. I tried unplugging the charger, the mod and everything like that but had no luck. Ultimately, while reading around various different posts for about 30 minutes, I checked my phone again and the mod was charging and at 14%. So I think the biggest thing is just waiting. When the mod gets to 0%, it takes up to 30 minutes to actually START charging.
I hope this helps someone else who is freaking out.
As for how I like the mod, I'm loving it. While at home and on wifi I got 50+ hours with medium use. Going back and forth to work with crappy 4G/3G on Wind mobile in downtown Toronto with very bad reception in my building I still got about 30 hours with medium to heavy use.

sideshot

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
The only problem with the battery mod I can see is there isn't any protection for the screen they should have made it more like a case that would give the screen an offset

CAMercier

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
FYI: Belkin BST300bg travel surge with 2xUSB and A to C cable is charging the mod whereas Surface Book charger with same cable would only charge phone and sit on mod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress