Moto Style Shell with Wireless Charging Review

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Moto Style Shell with Wireless Charging Review (Grey Herringbone Nylon)

WP_20170805_20_56_59_Pro_LI - Copy.jpg

TL;DRDoes the job perfectly but at $39.99, it's a tough sell for all except those who value wireless charging highly. The nylon version is slippery.

2017-08-04 11.27.34 - Copy.jpg

CONTEXT

Recently, I popped into Best Buy to pick up my first ever Moto Mod: The Moto Style Shell with Wireless Charging, in “Grey Herringbone Nylon”. Currently available in either Grey Herringbone Nylon or Floral Print with some press hinting at the availability of wood options in the future. I elected to buy this grey one in person. I decided the more subtle grey option was more my style than the colorful flowers available online.

I was actually mildly surprised that the cover was nylon fabric instead of the grey plastic I anticipated, but that was more on me neglecting to read up on the specifics before hopping in.

Just so you know what I’m equipped with, I own a Moto Z Play with the charcoal ash wooden style shell, pictured above for reference.

2017-08-04 11.25.55.jpg

THE BOX

The Mod’s packaging is very straightforward. It’s a simple box containing the shell itself and two pamphlets to cover the usual legal, instructions, etc.

2017-08-04 11.27.00.jpg

THE COVER

The cover itself isn’t anything unexpected. It’s slightly thicker than my current wooden Style Shell at 3.25 mm and includes several pogo pins to enable charging. Why it needs more than two or three pins though for wireless charging is beyond me.

This new shell includes magnets on both the top and bottom of the cover, making for a more secure fit than my wooden back which only includes a magnet near the bottom. A particularly hot day in the car once made this wooden cover bend backwards slightly, compromising the fit. The extra magnet here is much appreciated.

The nylon feels like a textured velvet or a woven fabric and isn't really my cup of tea, although it certainly looks good.

2017-08-04 11.31.14.jpg 2017-08-04 11.32.09.jpg

USAGE

Snapping on the back greeted me with a distinctive chime and a quick tutorial on using this Mod, just in case I had neglected to read the quick-start guide like I’m sure many others will do.

2017-08-04 11.32.57.jpg

In the hand, the additional thickness and curvature isn’t particularly noticeable, but what is much more noticeable to me is that the nylon back made for a textured but more slippery surface.
This may not sound like much, but with less friction I found myself adjusting to it in ways that were ultimately less than comfortable. It might be a nitpick as I didn’t notice it entirely, but my pinky didn’t appreciate its increased usage as a shelf nor did I appreciate a gravitational close call when the phone didn't quite stick to my fingers like I had anticipated. I’ve switched back to my smoother-yet-grippier wooden back for now while I plan to switch this one out for it's floral print sibling.

WP_20170805_20_44_55_Pro_LI.jpg

CHARGING

And as for charging? It works.

Placing the phone on a charging pad makes the phone indicate that a wireless charger was detected and displays current battery percentage for a few moments before going to the lockscreen.

The OS says “charging slowly” on my 10W somewhat generic Qi charger. Needless to say, you don’t use wireless charging when you’re looking for a speedy, efficient charge anyway. The Z’s support "TurboPower" for if you’re in a rush.

2017-08-04 11.26.17.jpg

Ultimately, being the fan that I am for wireless charging, I was very excited for this shell but the material isn't exactly lighting my fire. The functionality works perfectly though, and if I like the feel of the floral back, that one might just become a permanent fixture on the back of my Moto. In the meantime, this nylon back isn't for me.

WP_20170805_20_57_43_Pro_LI.jpg

The attached Mod next to a first-generation style shell.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Additional Photos

2017-08-04 11.30.45.jpg

WP_20170805_20_56_49_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20170805_20_44_16_Pro_LI.jpg
This is only displayed for a few moments when charging begins.

2017-08-04 11.29.21.jpg
Charcoal Ash Style Shell on the left, Grey Herringbone Nylon Wireless Charging Style Shell on the right

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
This shell works with my Samsung wireless charging pads, but it does not work properly with my Chevy Suburban. It appears to begin to charge when placed on the charging pad of the Suburban, but stops after a few seconds. The Incipio off-grid battery mod works fine with the Suburban, wirelessly charging the battery and phone. It seems as if there may be a software issue for the Moto shell since it starts and then stops.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I also bought this Mod and have similar reaction. It looks nice and the thickness probably provides a bit more camera protection than the wood style shell. However the extra girth and slippery texture make the phone far less grippy and I feel like I have to use two hands or risk dropping the phone.

I have also noticed the "sweet spot" for charging is smaller than the "detection spot.". meaning that often when I place the phone on the wireless pad it detects the pad and says wireless charging detected, but then stops charging after a few seconds. I find that I have to pay close attention to position and make sure that charging process actually begins. I have been faked out more than once.

cbironman24

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
This shell works with my Samsung wireless charging pads, but it does not work properly with my Chevy Suburban. It appears to begin to charge when placed on the charging pad of the Suburban, but stops after a few seconds. The Incipio off-grid battery mod works fine with the Suburban, wirelessly charging the battery and phone. It seems as if there may be a software issue for the Moto shell since it starts and then stops.
Try propping the bottom of your phone up on the back lip of the charging pad in your truck. I have a 2016 Sierra and had a problem with my S8 when it was in a case. It would start and stop just like you said. Then I noticed if i put the phone up on the back lip it started charging. After I figured that out I took the arm rest lid apart and flipped the charging pad around. Works like a charm now.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Try propping the bottom of your phone up on the back lip of the charging pad in your truck. I have a 2016 Sierra and had a problem with my S8 when it was in a case. It would start and stop just like you said. Then I noticed if i put the phone up on the back lip it started charging. After I figured that out I took the arm rest lid apart and flipped the charging pad around. Works like a charm now.

Thanks, but I tried that. I had to do the same thing with the S8+.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for being a bit MIA folks, been a bit tied up with moving in and stuff!

However today, my floral print version arrived and it's fit and finish feels much like the wood cover its replacing! While the design may seem more at home on a muu-muu, I think it's alright all things considered. I don't have the grip problem and it behaves largely the same as this one, except with a matte plastic finish as opposed to the Nylon fabric.

The phone-facing side of the Mod is white instead of the Nylon's black though, but that doesn't make much of a difference.

2017-08-21 12.29.14.jpg

2017-08-21 12.29.23.jpg

Great review. What Screen protector are you using? Looks like the one you have provides better coverage than the one I bought for my Moto Z Play. I bought an iVoler branded protector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5930750

==
Michael

I picked up a two-pack of SuperShieldz branded ones, no complaints although I did install it ever-so-slightly askew but that's just user error!

Hmm, I suspect some matter of tolerances at play here and perhaps the receiver was moved around. All I can think of for this scenario is placing the phone in backwards perhaps and see what happens?

Mine didn't sit flush with the phone so I removed it :(

Nooo!

I also bought this Mod and have similar reaction. It looks nice and the thickness probably provides a bit more camera protection than the wood style shell. However the extra girth and slippery texture make the phone far less grippy and I feel like I have to use two hands or risk dropping the phone.

I have also noticed the "sweet spot" for charging is smaller than the "detection spot.". meaning that often when I place the phone on the wireless pad it detects the pad and says wireless charging detected, but then stops charging after a few seconds. I find that I have to pay close attention to position and make sure that charging process actually begins. I have been faked out more than once.

Hmm, I'm starting to feel it's "sweet spot" nature now that I just deployed a TYLT VU SOLO charger (basically a simple single-coil pad) and I need to be a bit more conscientious when placing my phone on it.

gotscha

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
My new Shell is on its way and I'm shopping for a QI charger. Is anyone using one that works well with this thing? I am reluctant to give up the standard speedy charging for the convenience of the plop vs. plug functionality.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My new Shell is on its way and I'm shopping for a QI charger. Is anyone using one that works well with this thing? I am reluctant to give up the standard speedy charging for the convenience of the plop vs. plug functionality.

I have one that's allegedly 10W but as I think I said its rated as "charging slowly" but its always an overnight affair for me so...

I want these!

They're certainly handy.

Some have complimented the floral print cover actually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87