Can Moto X save Motorola? Yes!!

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Sure, but I can't help but ponder. Really, how much money does Google make of android? With the release of GE and nexus phones, obviously they are trying to make money by selling their OS themselves, but that's only gone so far.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
People complaining about processor. Do you guys even know what natural language processor and contextual processor do??

Contextual processor: The contextual computing processor handles the sensors, display and touch interaction,
but it also appears to function as the primary processor when the phone is in standby mode,
including showing status and notification information on the display.

Natural Language Processor: The natural language processor deals with audio, noise estimation
and noise cancellation;

phones like N4 would use 2 cores for all of the android related task and apps use the same cores too.
The other 2 cores is useless unless some customized Apps/Android use it.

Contextual processor is used in half of what you do with smartphone leaving the other 2 processor cores to apps.

I dont know if people understand this but this is an optimized quad core processor.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Sure, but I can't help but ponder. Really, how much money does Google make of android? With the release of GE and nexus phones, obviously they are trying to make money by selling their OS themselves, but that's only gone so far.

Google gives Android away for free.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Google gives Android away for free.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Exactly. Thats the problem. The reason why apple makes so much money is because their OS isn't open source. Everything that involves their OS, they get money for.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. Thats the problem. The reason why apple makes so much money is because their OS isn't open source. Everything that involves their OS, they get money for.

why does it matter how much Google makes out of Android? do you want google to charge money for Android so that the price of Android devices go up???

Google makes money differently. Google makes money from the android device they sell indirectly from ads. when you use Google NOW/MAPS to search, do you see ads??
That one click probably is >$1 for Google. Dont forget ads on apps and people using search on desktop because they are tied to android. thats equivalent to $50 over the period of 1 year(just a rough guess)

if google charge money(lets say $15 for license) they would have only sold about 50 million phones

calculate the total compared to 900 million devices sold. with more than 500 active Android devices out there

Last edited:

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Apple went almost bankrupt at one point.

The reason why Google gives away Android is the revenue and market lock into their services search and mobile advertising in the long run will make up for it.

If Google wasn't making Billions maybe you would have a good point.

Apple makes more money they are a hardware company and their iPhone was first to market in this current revolution.

The GE editions are ways for Google to give more options to the consumer. Google isn't trying to sell these at a market, I am sure to encourage HTC and Samsung to do this, they get all the profit minus operating costs for the play store.

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
why does it matter how much Google makes out of Android? do you want google to charge money for Android so that the price of Android devices go up???

Google makes money differently. Google makes money from the android device they sell indirectly from ads. when you use Google NOW/MAPS to search, do you see ads??
That one click probably is >$1 for Google. Dont forget ads on apps and people using search on desktop because they are tied to android. thats equivalent to $50 over the period of 1 year(just a rough guess)

if google charge money(lets say $15 for license) they would have only sold about 50 million phones

calculate the total compared to 900 million devices sold. with more than 500 active Android devices out there

I'm not saying that they need to make money off of it, and many including me are happy that android is open source. It was just an interesting article that gave me a lot to think about. Do I think Google will give up Android? Heck no. Do I think Google is going to start doing more proprietary stuff to make money? Yes and its already starting with chromecast and the chromebooks.

Oh and BTW, sorry for starting an off-topic discussion. :p

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying that they need to make money off of it, and many including me are happy that android is open source. It was just an interesting article that gave me a lot to think about. Do I think Google will give up Android? Heck no. Do I think Google is going to start doing more proprietary stuff to make money? Yes and its already starting with chromecast and the chromebooks.

Oh and BTW, sorry for starting an off-topic discussion. :p

"Yes and its already starting with chromecast and the chromebooks." let me clear you a little bit. chromebook is open source.
Its called Chromium OS. read here Chromium OS - The Chromium Projects

Chromecast is not open source. I think they are doing it for a reason. to protect intellectual property,copyright etc,etc

proprietary stuff should be there but not like Apple(100% proprietary) and not like Microsoft(99.5% proprietary)
but google makes 99% opensource and 1% proprietary. do you see the difference?? Its Huge!!

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
"Yes and its already starting with chromecast and the chromebooks." let me clear you a little bit. chromebook is open source.
Its called Chromium OS. read here Chromium OS - The Chromium Projects

Chromecast is not open source. I think they are doing it for a reason. to protect intellectual property,copyright etc,etc

proprietary stuff should be there but not like Apple(100% proprietary) and not like Microsoft(99.5% proprietary)
but google makes 99% opensource and 1% proprietary. do you see the difference?? Its Huge!!

Sorry. Didn't realize that chrome os was open source. But still, I think Google is going to go more proprietary.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
What are you talking about? People don't hate Apple's iPhones because they are smooth.

People hate them because they are extremely restricted in their capabilities, and Apple refuses to admit that they can ever make anything that is not ideal for their customers, shown in their refusal to allow alternate keyboards and the like.

Motorola is not restricting the capabilities of these phones or sacrificing anything other than a couple of numbers on a sheet of paper. Why does it matter so much that they chose to give their users better battery life at the cost of something that adds virtually nothing such as the jump from 2 to 4 processors. They spent the time and resources to create the low energy processors which will add much more to the phones capabilities than the two additional CPU cores will for many years.

Ok a couple of things. I never said that people hate Apple because their system is smooth.

What I was getting at was we see them using parts that are not as top board. Like that the cpu is dual core when we are used quads.

Up until recently they have nailed that experience. I applaud them for that. One if the gripes about Android is that same experience not being in the os.

Motorola took the right step in optimizing the os with the low power dsp's. That was needed and welcome. Where I take issue is with them using a cpu that is suspect because of it's architecture. If they had just done everything that we have already and used a top draw cpu like the S600. I could understand the the top shelf price.

They didn't and it has left a bad taste in many people's mouths. That we are being suckered.

I'll give them a chance but they are on a tight lease. If this thing isn't spectacular then they failed before they eve got out the gate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
If they had just done everything that we have already and used a top draw cpu like the S600. I could understand the the top shelf price.

It is essentially an s600...just a dual core... The s600 uses 4 krait 300 cores and a 320 gpu to handle all the phones tasks. while the X uses 2 krait 300s and the 320 gpu for apps and the two additional processors for most of the other stuff... I see no bamboozling here

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
It is essentially an s600...just a dual core... The s600 uses 4 krait 300 cores and a 320 gpu to handle all the phones tasks. while the X uses 2 krait 300s and the 320 gpu for apps and the two additional processors for most of the other stuff... I see no bamboozling here

In the end you are probably more right than most of what has been discussed. What has not been done though is having Motorola communicate this properly. What most people have heard is it is last year's dual core processor and not current.

It may just the noise that has accompanied the event. I'll wait to see how this works in the real world.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
In the end you are probably more right than most of what has been discussed. What has not been done though is having Motorola communicate this properly. What most people have heard is it is last year's dual core processor and not current.

It may just the noise that has accompanied the event. I'll wait to see how this works in the real world.

Oh there's no doubt that it probably could have been cleared up a little better. Moto was concerned with marketing buzz words, and the community was concerned with causing white noise. There will always be details lost and miscommunication in these types of situations

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
1) How are you of the opinion that a 4.7" is too small for a display? You said a majority of Android flagship feature a larger display... Name them. Galaxy S4, Xperia Z (I believe), and... What else? Note II? Niche product. Galaxy Mega? Niche product. HTC One? 4.7".

2) You cannot tell the differences in pixels between 1080 and 720 displays. Known fact, and Motorola knows that well. They opted for a lower resolution display for the power savings, not for cost.

The phone is designed to be an ever present assistant by always listening and lasting all day. THAT is the purpose of this device: to be there for its user when called upon.

I'm absolutely not suggesting that 4.7 inches is too small for a display. I'm merely suggesting that when it comes to the one spec that consumers are almost universally aware of - screen size and screen resolution - the Moto X loses out. The GS4 has the clear advantage and will certainly be hard to pass up for buyers big on screen size. And regarding screen resolution, I agree with you - the differences are minimal between 720p and 1020p, but we live in the HD age, where buyers believe 1020p is superior in almost every way to 720p. A majority of consumers are going to feel like they're buying an inferior product when compared to the "1020p AMOLED 5 inch" GS4 and the "Retina" iPhone. Again, I'm certainly not suggesting the Motorola X is actually inferior. I'm merely saying that from a marketing and business perspective, they are going to lose a lot of non-tech savvy customers who are out to buy the 'latest and greatest.' Without these specs or even marketable labels (eg "Super HD") for otherwise identical or inferior specifications, they're risking a good amount of business.

As for the Always On feature, I was certainly enticed by this feature - as were others. Even the non-tech media was cheering on the notion of an "ever present assistant." But instead of making this the Great Moto X draw, as Siri was on the iPhone and as Camera features were on the GS3, Motorola decided to inject this feature into 3 other Droid phones at launch. Sure, I don't lose anything - I still get am awesome feature on an awesome phone regardless of wherever else it exists - but again, from a marketing and business perspective, it dilutes the ability of Motorola to promote the X as the 'must have' device. It would kind of be like Apple launching Siri on the iPhone and the iPod Touch concurrently, or Samsung making all of its Camera features and gestures available on its million different phones at once. I'm not saying that these things have to remain exclusives into the distant future, just that keeping them exclusive to one product at launch helps sell a phone.

Perhaps I am simply taking the Moto X out of context. Based on the manner in which Google and Microsoft have approached the X, you would've thought that they intended this phone to compete alongside the Galaxy S4's and HTC One's of the world, a true volume seller with amazing potential to become Android's best selling phone. Instead, you see Motorola AGAIN making good phones that miss the mark on marketing and advertising.

And you may be saying so what, why do we care? It's because the very survival of Android depends on a competitive framework in which Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Sony, and whoever
make phones that the masses want so developers will prioritize Android, so awesome social features like Hangouts and Play Games will be embraced by millions of people, and so we can get the best price points and the best features without having to compromise anything. I'm baffled as to how Motorola has missed that memo.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm absolutely not suggesting that 4.7 inches is too small for a display. I'm merely suggesting that when it comes to the one spec that consumers are almost universally aware of - screen size and screen resolution -

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I am willing bet that there are many consumers who don't even know what does 1080p or 720p or what the difference is. They may assume 1080p is better because the number is bigger.

As long as the sales rep explains that the 720p screen was chosen to give a much better battery life/experience, the consumer will probably understand nor care about 1080p at that point anyways.

To the average consumer these are just a bunch of meaningless numbers versus price.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am willing bet that there are many consumers who don't even know what does 1080p or 720p or what the difference is. They may assume 1080p is better because the number is bigger.

As long as the sales rep explains that the 720p screen was chosen to give a much better battery life/experience, the consumer will probably understand nor care about 1080p at that point anyways.

To the average consumer these are just a bunch of meaningless numbers versus price.

Most people won't even care about 720 or 1080,so long as it looks good to them and this is who moto is targeting . Hell, the iPhone doesn't even have an HD display, and that hasn't stopped it from selling well (not that it needs it either). To the point, if you asked 100 random iPhone owners what the resolution is on their screen, my guess would be that the vast majority would not know.

To elaborate , 720p is simply the resolution. It will depend on the screen size for the pixel density. But even that isn't everything.

My note 2 has a better display, imo than my s3,both are 720p,and the note 2 has a much lower PPI. The Note II is rgb( same as x), s3 is pentile.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Last edited:

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Im reading all these threads bashing moto x and how it is such a huge let down as far as specs and availability. I understand the frustration, I am one of those people, but to really bash the heck out of this thing thats supposed to save motorola is really jumping the gun and people seem to have been clouded by seeing the real, bigger picture. Its called the future.

Moto X is the BEGINNING of whats to come. You dont think google really wants to pummel apple? You think google is going to go balls out right away? No. Its business strategy, its what will be keeping everyone on their toes. Moto X will be paving the way for the greatest phones we are expected to see within the next 6-12months (dont tell me theyre that stupid to not use similar specs from the new droid series. Its all part of the plan). Im convinced that motorola will bust out with another phone by Fall/Winter to actually compete with the new iphone, along with the possible announcement of a new anroid os. I dont want to say 5.0 as they could still jump to 4.5 or whatever (ie: 4.0 = ICS, 4.1 = JB). I think this was all intentionally planned to see the public reaction. Targeted for those "regular" people who dont know anything about specs and what not, the regular consumer, that just wants to buy it because its new and shiny.

Mock my words people. Greatness awaits. (yes, i stole the ps4 slogan)

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Im reading all these threads bashing moto x and how it is such a huge let down as far as specs and availability. I understand the frustration, I am one of those people, but to really bash the heck out of this thing thats supposed to save motorola is really jumping the gun and people seem to have been clouded by seeing the real, bigger picture. Its called the future.

Moto X is the BEGINNING of whats to come. You dont think google really wants to pummel apple? You think google is going to go balls out right away? No. Its business strategy, its what will be keeping everyone on their toes. Moto X will be paving the way for the greatest phones we are expected to see within the next 6-12months (dont tell me theyre that stupid to not use similar specs from the new droid series. Its all part of the plan). Im convinced that motorola will bust out with another phone by Fall/Winter to actually compete with the new iphone, along with the possible announcement of a new anroid os. I dont want to say 5.0 as they could still jump to 4.5 or whatever (ie: 4.0 = ICS, 4.1 = JB). I think this was all intentionally planned to see the public reaction. Targeted for those "regular" people who dont know anything about specs and what not, the regular consumer, that just wants to buy it because its new and shiny.

Mock my words people. Greatness awaits. (yes, i stole the ps4 slogan)

You should see all the threads on windows phone central bashing the moto x. They compare it to the lumia 720.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty