My Problem with the "hype"

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I actually totally agree with you. As a spec guy myself (I love the latest and greatest hardware), the software features are drawing me in. I would need to see them in practice, of course, the Google Now functionality and Active Display (Peek) are really cool sounding.

Also, Snapdragon 800 doesn't sound that impressive to me. LOL :p

I'm right there with you. I love my Nexus 4, but boy do I love those black HTC One's.

That said, I'm trying to imagine using the X day to day. Walking through Woodfield yesterday I found myself pulling out my Nexus and flicking my wrist twice, but disappointingly, nothing happened. I genuinely think those little features will bring in customers.

Think back to all the One vs. GS4 debates. At the end of the day, there really wasn't anything that one device could do that the other could not. That isn't the case here. The Moto X does do things that other products cannot, and that is why it will have value to consumers. Will those features let you live to 200 or fly you to the moon? Of course not. But they're going to change how you interact with your smartphone, and that's what the goal of this product is.

Posted via Android Central App

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
AGAIN with the assumptions. You think you know my friend. You do not.

She isn't following the situation closely. She had heard of the Moto X. She did not know many of the details until I informed her of them. And I am the one letting her know how to get out of her contract.

Is there anything else you'd like to tell me about my friend since you seem to think you know her better than I do?

So what you're saying is that she wasn't a smartphone geek but you've turned her into one. So she is a smartphone geek now.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
So what you're saying is that she wasn't a smartphone geek but you've turned her into one. So she is a smartphone geek now.

No. That's what you said.

Just because she's interested in how she can get a Moto X sometime soon does not mean she has become a smartphone geek. After she gets it, I assure you that she will simply use her phone the way she does regularly until she's up for upgrade again. (She was actually okay with hanging onto her current phone for three or four years with Sprint after they swindled her into signing a new contract.) She's not the type to follow tech news closely. She never has been in the 33 or 34 years we've known each other. That's simply not her personality.

But maybe you know her better than I do. Please continue to make assumptions about her. It's actually kind of entertaining to see how you can twist what little you know about her to serve your own point.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
No. That's what you said.

Just because she's interested in how she can get a Moto X sometime soon does not mean she has become a smartphone geek. After she gets it, I assure you that she will simply use her phone the way she does regularly until she's up for upgrade again. (She was actually okay with hanging onto her current phone for three or four years with Sprint after they swindled her into signing a new contract.) She's not the type to follow tech news closely. She never has been in the 33 or 34 years we've known each other. That's simply not her personality.

But maybe you know her better than I do. Please continue to make assumptions about her. It's actually kind of entertaining to see how you can twist what little you know about her to serve your own point.

Nope, its too late. You've turned her geek. You think its only a temporary Moto X thing, but once you go geek you never go back. Even unicorn dust or fairy horns can't change her back now.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Nope, its too late. You've turned her geek. You think its only a temporary Moto X thing, but once you go geek you never go back. Even unicorn dust or fairy horns can't change her back now.

Oh, believe me. She's a geek. She's just not a smartphone geek. She's too busy reading fantasy novels. :D

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I agree with much that's been said here. On AndroidCentral.com, this device is a *hyooj* flop. At your local AT&T store, it's a miracle phone in the eyes of your average consumer.

Joe Schmoe:
"You mean, I can just...talk to my phone? Say whaaaaaaaaaaat?"
"You mean, I can make it any color I want? Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?"
"YOU MEAN IT KNOWS WHEN I TAKE IT OUT OF MY POCKET AND WANT TO TAKE A PICTURE? GET OUTTA TOWN."

Tech Geek:
"This spec sheet is atrocious. I'm not paying $200 for anything less than 1080p and octacore processing!"

People forget that value is, quite literally, the perceived benefits of a product divided by its cost. If you believe you'll receive the most benefit from higher spec sheet numbers, then perhaps this phone represents poor value. If you believe things like a fairly stock Android experience, intuitive UI features, attractive design, active voice control, SmartActions, and so on come at a premium, then $200 is a steal.

Moral of the story: it's all subjective, and lucky for everyone there are lots of great options available right now for Android -- which is more than can be said for its competitors!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I just got home from day two of Lollapalooza. While I was up front for The Postal Service, I was fiddling with my Galaxy Nexus. The girl next to me--looked to be early twenties--tapped me on the shoulder and asked, "Is that the new Moto X?" I laughed and said, "No, but I will be getting the Moto X! This is a Galaxy Nexus." (It was an understandable mistake on her part, since the phones are shaped similarly and my homescreen setup is pretty standard.)

The reactions I've been hearing from the general public over the past two days have been pretty cool. I can't wait to see what $500 million might do for this phone. I'd love for Motorola to have a hit. More great options are better for all of us.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I just got home from day two of Lollapalooza. While I was up front for The Postal Service, I was fiddling with my Galaxy Nexus. The girl next to me--looked to be early twenties--tapped me on the shoulder and asked, "Is that the new Moto X?" I laughed and said, "No, but I will be getting the Moto X! This is a Galaxy Nexus." (It was an understandable mistake on her part, since the phones are shaped similarly and my homescreen setup is pretty standard.)

The reactions I've been hearing from the general public over the past two days have been pretty cool. I can't wait to see what $500 million might do for this phone. I'd love for Motorola to have a hit. More great options are better for all of us.

I've always been a Moto guy and I hope they have a hit too. And from reading more and more reviews from people who have had the phone for a few days I'm quite a bit less upset about what the phone is capable of then when it was first announced. But I still think that strongly marketing a feature that isn't available to most people will backfire. I think they should have marketed all of the features that you can get on any carrier and let AT&T handle marketing the fact that it is customizable for them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But I still think that strongly marketing a feature that isn't available to most people will backfire.

If you're referring to the shell customization, isn't it coming eventually to all carriers? It's just that it's coming to AT&T first. I read that Verizon will offer it later in the year.

At least they didn't pull a Blackberry and announce the phone 3 months before it became available to anyone.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
If you're referring to the shell customization, isn't it coming eventually to all carriers? It's just that it's coming to AT&T first. I read that Verizon will offer it later in the year.

At least they didn't pull a Blackberry and announce the phone 3 months before it became available to anyone.

The problem is that nobody knows when its coming to Verizon. And given Verizon's history it could very well be mid-late December and by that time there will be several newer phones available and the older phones like the GS4 will probably be close to free on contract. Will people really wait an undetermined amount of time and then still pick it over newer options? And its also possible by then that other phones will offer some level of customization if it looks like the X is doing well on AT&T.

Paradocks

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually wondering if Apple might do customization with the rumored colored iPhone 5C.

Not customization the way that you can get with the Moto X, I would think. The rumored iPhone 5C may be available in 4-5 colors and each color would be stocked at the point of purchase. You won't be able to mix and match cover colors with front colors with accent colors with personal phrasing like you will with the X. Has anyone figured out all the possible color combinations available with the X? Must be in the thousands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
That's very true. I am past my upgrade date, but I'm waiting to see if these are the droids I'm looking for. If not, I'll move on to a One probably, but I'll be waiting for that too. I stopped at the Samsung experience at Best Buy, and was not impressed. I want to upgrade now, but I want to make the right decision. I hate waiting on things, but I hate regretting my purchases even more. People that care are willing to wait. Those that don't care will get whatever is available.

Life's too short to have regrets. There will always be a rumored phone just around the corner. Buy the HTC One and don't look back. Do you really want to buy a 720, 16 GB storage, dual core S4 device with a locked boot loader who's only hype is software based ? Buy the HTC One, unlock it in five minutes, and install Android Revolution HD, enjoy it, and go on with life. Besides, I had installed the free Auto Screen On app, the screen would turn on when I unholstered the phone. Now that I am running 4.2.2, I have the volume button mapped to turn it on.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Not customization the way that you can get with the Moto X, I would think. The rumored iPhone 5C may be available in 4-5 colors and each color would be stocked at the point of purchase. You won't be able to mix and match cover colors with front colors with accent colors with personal phrasing like you will with the X. Has anyone figured out all the possible color combinations available with the X? Must be in the thousands.

Right. I'm thinking the iPhone 5C would just allow engraving.

I've read that the X is available in 504 or 2000-some different combinations. I'm not sure which figure is correct.

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Life's too short to have regrets. There will always be a rumored phone just around the corner. Buy the HTC One and don't look back. Do you really want to buy a 720, 16 GB storage, dual core S4 device with a locked boot loader who's only hype is software based ? Buy the HTC One, unlock it in five minutes, and install Android Revolution HD, enjoy it, and go on with life. Besides, I had installed the free Auto Screen On app, the screen would turn on when I unholstered the phone. Now that I am running 4.2.2, I have the volume button mapped to turn it on.

I'm not looking at the X anymore. I want separate buttons, more storage, and the bigger battery of the Maxx. As for the display, I'll compare the One and Maxx when they are available. It may not matter. Just because I can tell the difference doesn't mean it matters. I have a full frame Nikon D600. I can put a great lens on it, take RAW pictures and post process them with Lightroom or Photoshop. That doesn't mean I'll never use the camera on my phone. I've even used the camera on my phone when I had my Nikon around my neck. Personally, I'd rather have the larger battery of the Maxx than the better display of the One. Maybe I'll change my mind, but like the processors, it's just a spec on paper. I want to see it first.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Once the wood is available it will be over 2000 possible combinations including different color accents on the camera ring and volume buttons

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38