Moto X or Moto Droid Maxx

Ktulu

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Clearly, the Moto X is the sexier of the two devices. It looks like it's going to be a really nice piece. I think its biggest advantage is going to be lack of bloat. My current phone, Galaxy Nexus, is a chipped up, slow, mess with a declining life extended battery. I would love a new Nexus device, but I can't wait for Nexus 5 and the Nexus 4 is old news. Unfortunately, being a Verizon customer makes the pure Android experience difficult to come by on contract.

The Droid Maxx looks like it's going to be a workhorse. It's not as pretty as the X, but it's got all kinds of endurance. Non-removable batteries scare me a little. The bigger the battery, the better I feel about not being able to replace it. I've added extended batteries to my last two phones and can't imagine having been limited to the stock battery with either of them.

The wireless charging is a big deal to me as well. My current phone was supposed to have a dock with pogo pins that I could drop it in to charge. That promise never really materialized. Thanks Samsung. I want the factory wireless charging. If the Moto X had this, it would be a much harder decision.

It doesn't look like there's an ace up the Moto X's sleeve that's going to sway me from getting a Droid Maxx. The battery life, wireless charging, 32GB storage (at launch), and hopefully a big fat antenna with lots of reception, are why I'm leaning toward the Droid Maxx. Hope this helps. Typing this out has helped me cement my choice a little more.

davpel

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't assume that many ROMs will exist for the Verizon X, if at all. An encrypted bootloader will hamper development in a big way. If you're going to purchase an X, be prepared for the possibility of having no choice but to use the stock ROM. That's what I'm doing.

The DNA has an encrypted bootloader and it was cracked with development aplenty.

modern

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I like the maxx battery but the phone is too damn big, I wish they would've kept the screen 4.7 inches and decrease the phone size.

I'm probably going to get the moto x. I read several reviews and they like the phone size. Sometimes I do need the extra battery life when going to events, Vegas, fishing etc... but I think I'll just get the incipio off grid battery case and slap that on when I do need the extra life.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The DNA has an encrypted bootloader and it was cracked with development aplenty.

The DNA is an HTC phone. If you are aware of the history of Motorola phones, then you would know that they are far more difficult to unlock. It has only ever happened with the RAZR HD/HD MAXX/M (all the same phone) and Atrix HD that I know of, and the developer who achieved that is no longer going to be working on unlocking Motorola phones. He's said that people should get other devices if they want to unlock their phones. And look at the forums for the RAZR HD and HD MAXX. They're pretty much barren when it comes to threads related to development (ROMs, etc.).

On other phones, like the Droid X, there was a workaround because of the encrypted bootloader, but there still wasn't a high level of development for that phone. I had one.

So again, I wouldn't count on much development happening for the Verizon X. It might happen, but given the history of Motorola phones on Verizon, I wouldn't expect it in the very least.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The DNA is an HTC phone. If you are aware of the history of Motorola phones, then you would know that they are far more difficult to unlock. It has only ever happened with the RAZR HD/HD MAXX/M (all the same phone) and Atrix HD that I know of, and the developer who achieved that is no longer going to be working on unlocking Motorola phones. He's said that people should get other devices if they want to unlock their phones. And look at the forums for the RAZR HD and HD MAXX. They're pretty much barren when it comes to threads related to development (ROMs, etc.).

On other phones, like the Droid X, there was a workaround because of the encrypted bootloader, but there still wasn't a high level of development for that phone. I had one.

So again, I wouldn't count on much development happening for the Verizon X. It might happen, but given the history of Motorola phones on Verizon, I wouldn't expect it in the very least.

It's partially dependent on quantity and quality of devs in the general x community as well. Typically on the Toro what you see is not a lot built specifically for that device, but many large ROMs will see a port of something released for the GSM G Nex devices. The bootloader, being an obstacle, the same thing might not repeat but I guess that's the hope. Either way, definitely won't be as much interest by devs as on nexus devices.

jrstacy98

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Do either of these come with a microSD slot? From the info that was released it didn't look like it, but today I was 'chatting' with a Verizon person through their website, and they claimed multiple times that the Droid Maxx does have a microSD slot - I'm assuming she was wrong but I hope she's correct.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
In the time it took you to write that post, you could have

A) Searched these forums.
B) Searched Google.
C) Looked at the Maxx's specs page.

In the time it took me to write this post, I could've just said:

A) NO.

jrstacy98

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
A) I did and nothing came up - perhaps I'm search challenged if this is out there.
B) I did - and continually find items related to Droid Razr Maxx and HD variants - not much on the Droid Maxx
C) I did look at the Maxx spec page which doesn't list it, but it also doesn't deny it - and with the statement from the Verizon person - I wanted to make sure - thus my request.

Thank you for your kind response and affirming what I understood.

moo53

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I think what will ultimately finalize your decision will be what tradeoffs are you more likely to live with. For me I like having the bigger battery but as long as I can get a day I'm good. The biggest trade off for me is going to be the size. I don't know how compact the Maxx is but I currently have the GSIII and I feel that is the biggest I will go and its already a bit of a stretch.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I think what will ultimately finalize your decision will be what tradeoffs are you more likely to live with. For me I like having the bigger battery but as long as I can get a day I'm good. The biggest trade off for me is going to be the size. I don't know how compact the Maxx is but I currently have the GSIII and I feel that is the biggest I will go and its already a bit of a stretch.

Samsung Galaxy S III Visual Size Comparison

: ). I live for this site's phone size comparison.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Can i ask why you are leaving your gs3?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I stopped by the Verizon store today to check out the MAXX. I underestimated how much I was going to like it in person. From the front, it looks like a slick slab of black glass and it's much easier to handle than I thought it would be. I was tempted to upgrade to it, but I'm still going to wait for the X.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I stopped by the Verizon store today to check out the MAXX. I underestimated how much I was going to like it in person. From the front, it looks like a slick slab of black glass and it's much easier to handle than I thought it would be. I was tempted to upgrade to it, but I'm still going to wait for the X.

Now I want to go play with one.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I had a maxx HD and the battery life was insane. If I was choosing between the Moto and the Maxx I would take the Maxx in a second. It has every feature that the Moto has plus its not a mid level spec phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You mean other than they're the same phone other than form factor, screen size (and therefore ppi), buttons and battery size? There's nothing "mid-range" about either one of them, and both are very possibly in the top 5 devices available list (along with the LG G2, HTC One and Google Nexus 4).

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Other than the customized back, the one thing that clinches the X for me over the Droid family is the fact the Droids have the capacitive buttons that won't rotate with the screen and won't disappear when using apps that don't call for them. Additionally, it will force an ugly black bar to appear to give the user access to the menu/settings/options button (the 3 dots we've all come to know and love). The Moto X will behave like the last two Nexus devices, which I very much prefer.

derichio02

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Other than the customized back, the one thing that clinches the X for me over the Droid family is the fact the Droids have the capacitive buttons that won't rotate with the screen and won't disappear when using apps that don't call for them. Additionally, it will force an ugly black bar to appear to give the user access to the menu/settings/options button (the 3 dots we've all come to know and love). The Moto X will behave like the last two Nexus devices, which I very much prefer.

The Maxx has an option to hide the onscreen menu button and instead long press the Recent button to keep that ugly menu off the screen.

I went to vzw to play with the Maxx last night and I got bit lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2