Moto X or Moto Droid Maxx

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I would love to know what everyone else is thinking. I was all about the Moto X but as I wait I am starting to lean towards the Maxx. What are the major differences between the two phones?

Maxx
5" Screen
Bigger Battery
Wireless Charging
Capacitive Buttons
Droid Software
32 GB

Moto X
Design your own at some time
Assembled in USA
On Screen Buttons
16 GB (for now on VZW)

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I would love to know what everyone else is thinking. I was all about the Moto X but as I wait I am starting to lean towards the Maxx. What are the major differences between the two phones?

Maxx
5" Screen
Bigger Battery

Moto X
Design your own at some time
Assembled in USA

Am I missing something?

MAXX also has wireless charging and 32 GB (vs 16 on the VZW Moto X).

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
If you don't mind a phone that big, the only knock on the Maxx that I can see is the decreased pixel density. Well, that an the $100 premium you spend on the extra battery life.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like the 32gb expansion is part of Moto Maker, so whenever that comes to Verizon it should be available (at $249 on contract, I believe).

dpw2atox

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Here are a few differences for you to keep note of.....all 3 of the new Droid phones use the touch capacitive buttons while the Moto X uses software keys. The Droids come with a few specific widgets, programs and ringtones specific to the Droid line such as the Droid Command Center widget, the familiar DROID ringtone, etc. The Droids have a flat back but are thinner overall than the Moto X which instead has a curved back (yes according to the specs the Maxx is thinner than the X is at its thickest point).

Overall it really comes down to personal preference. I plan on going with the X phone as I like software buttons over the touch capacitive buttons and while the battery size of the Maxx is VERY tempting, I have enough chargers that I'm not too concerned.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
This is my current decision to make as well. Im big on tbe bigger battery because ive been spoiled to them. I dont really mind the buttons.. although ive never had a phone w out them.

I like that they say the X will last all day.. im still waiting to see how that actually goes in real world use

But a 3500mah.. awesome.. and I get all the moto magic stuff in the x like touchless

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Overall size of the phone is a huge deal to me. Because the Maxx and Ultra are so damn big, I couldn't even consider those phones. I was considering the Razr Mini, which is smaller than my current 4.3" phone (Rezound), but the Moto X has the same dimensions as my phone with a much larger screen. Sounds like a winner to me.

Funny how this moto X fills a nice little hole in the new Droid lineup. Droids can give you a very compact phone with a 'relatively' small screen or a huge phone with a 5" screen. Moto X is a very happy medium.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
When thinking about the dev community and official software obsolescence, I'm asking if I want a Verizon phone or a Google phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

rinconmike

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I am debating on these two phones two. However, I heard the HTC One is coming to Verizon. I use the one on att for work but need to upgrade my original droid razr that I have on Verizon. So many choices.

Mike

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
New droids or Moto X. My choice of the two is the Moto X. I like its size, I like how I'm hearing its nice to hold. A nice size screen. Plus it's a $100 cheaper, for pretty much the same phone. Don't think I'll use Droid Zap or anything to share photos. I do wish I could keep the Circle Widget though.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
And suppose you didn't have to pay the $100 premium for the Maxx? What if it was the same? Check posts by Still1...just got my Maxx for 199...but not from VZW. I wish I could trust Moto on battery life, but they lied about the Razr and I'll keep saying it until they acknowledge it, and then wouldn't let us trade for the Razr Maxx a mere few weeks later. I went with the big battery...tho' tonight, I'm wondering how that extra height is gonna fit in my pocket.

davpel

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
When thinking about the dev community and official software obsolescence, I'm asking if I want a Verizon phone or a Google phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

This is my concern as well. I really like the Maxx, but it will obviously have a locked bootloader. Root will take a bit of time and even then I'm sure development on the Droids will be limited. On the flip side, perhaps the fact that the Maxx and X are so similar will mean that ROMs for the Verizon X will be easily ported to the Maxx?

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
This is my concern as well. I really like the Maxx, but it will obviously have a locked bootloader. Root will take a bit of time and even then I'm sure development on the Droids will be limited. On the flip side, perhaps the fact that the Maxx and X are so similar will mean that ROMs for the Verizon X will be easily ported to the Maxx?

Since the internals seem to be the same, as is the screen tech, hopefully this will pan out. My only hesitation on the Maxx is coming from a Nexus device, I am used to updating the day ASOP hits.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
On the flip side, perhaps the fact that the Maxx and X are so similar will mean that ROMs for the Verizon X will be easily ported to the Maxx?

I wouldn't assume that many ROMs will exist for the Verizon X, if at all. An encrypted bootloader will hamper development in a big way. If you're going to purchase an X, be prepared for the possibility of having no choice but to use the stock ROM. That's what I'm doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38