Moto X or Moto Droid Maxx

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
The Maxx has an option to hide the onscreen menu button and instead long press the Recent button to keep that ugly menu off the screen.

I went to vzw to play with the Maxx last night and I got bit lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

hmmmm. So confused. Maxx has regular buttons that are not on the screen, right? what are those called as opposed to hard buttons and screen buttons.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What are those called. Is that capacitive and a hard button is called something else?

Yea the Maxx has capacitive buttons. Which are the buttons that are not on screen and not physical buttons that you press in, like what the iPhone would have.

What he's referring to is the menu button which is the 3 dots on the screen in that picture. Since the Maxx only has the Home, Back, and Multitask button....they put the menu onscreen. Which he says can be removed in settings.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
First, there are physical/hardware buttons which can be seen looking at a Droid X or Droid X2.

Second, there are capacitive buttons which can be seen looking at the Droid Maxx and Droid Ultra.

Last, there are software buttons which can be seen looking at the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 and Moto X.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting both.

Upgraded my wife's line (Gnex) last night to a Maxx. She may or may not keep it. Really wanted a Mini but for some reason (?) Moto failed to ship them to VZW for the launch.

Planning on getting the Moto X VZW Developer edition that Punit mentioned on G+ a couple weeks ago for myself when it is released to keep my UNL data.

Wife needs the battery life - I don't. I have chargers at home/work/car so I should be good with the X phone. Hope the developer edition can be ordered through Moto Maker.

dinzlw

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I looked at both in the store today and when I picked the MAXX I could not believe how well it felt in the hand and I have small hands. The ultra though was hard to hold since it was so thin. Also note that I compared the the size to my OG Driod Razr and they were the same exact width which really surprised me.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I looked at both in the store today and when I picked the MAXX I could not believe how well it felt in the hand and I have small hands. The ultra though was hard to hold since it was so thin. Also note that I compared the the size to my OG Driod Razr and they were the same exact width which really surprised me.

oh man, i'm going to go to verizon today after work. sounds great. (not that i can get one, but still).

dbregman

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I got the Maxx for a few reasons:

1) Who knows when VWZ will actually get the X - for better or worse I am with them
2) The battery life
3) Wireless charging - I have had the phone for 2 days and love that feature
4) I like the size of the phone

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

ohhh. i much prefer those. they may not go away when you rotate but you get the full 5" screen most of the time but you only get the full 4.7" with on screen button *some* of the time. (as long a peson can get rid of the black bar above it, which is what i *think* that article says, but again, i don't understand either of the 2 button/bar things staying or going, so, there's that)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I went in store and played with a maxx today and man that screen is nice. Much better than I thought it would be for 5". If the x is anything like it I won't be disappointed in the least even with it only being 720p

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I went in store and played with a maxx today and man that screen is nice. Much better than I thought it would be for 5". If the x is anything like it I won't be disappointed in the least even with it only being 720p

I was able to play with an X at the local AT&T store this morning and it looks very nice. The whites looked very nice, so I venture the guess that the color warmth was adjusted since the pre-production models were rolled out for the press.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I was able to play with an X at the local AT&T store this morning and it looks very nice. The whites looked very nice, so I venture the guess that the color warmth was adjusted since the pre-production models were rolled out for the press.

I played with an X at AT&T about an hour ago. I love it. I knew it was smaller than my Galaxy Nexus, but I was still surprised at how great it felt in hand. I'm not at all tempted by the Droid Maxx anymore.

The woven white back is pretty sweet looking. I hate the white front, though.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I played with an X at AT&T about an hour ago. I love it. I knew it was smaller than my Galaxy Nexus, but I was still surprised at how great it felt in hand. I'm not at all tempted by the Droid Maxx anymore.

I meant the screen's white balance. It put my Gnex to total shame.

moo53

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Can i ask why you are leaving your gs3?

I'm not a big fan of the physical button, first android phone I bought with a physical button and I don't like it. I've rooted my phone to get rid of TW but the stock roms feel like they are always in beta with a bug here and there. So you can say reasons being physical button and TW.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I went from the Maxx to the Moto X. Two totally different animals in my opinion. The Maxx has a ridiculous battery but the form factor of the Moto X is incredible. The Moto X feels like its part of my hand while the Maxx felt like I was holding a brick. Since 2006 I have dropped my phone 4 times and 2 of the times were with the Maxx during the week that I had it. It's big and heavy, not at all comfortable to grip and I have fairly large hands. The Maxx has a very nice build quality but it's just not for me.