Moto X or.....

tanknitrous

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Droid Maxx....I'm torn. Seems the only advantage the X has over the Maxx is portability? The Maxx certainly rules battery life and they're basically a lot alike internally. What am I missing? Really leaning towards the X for its size, but wouldn't die if I did have the Maxx and the extra weight. I'm also skittish in terms of call quality on the X. I know the Maxx has great call quality. Haven't heard much about the X's call quality. Anyone else with this quandary? I apologize in advance if this has been asked before.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Buttons, display ppi, battery, potentiality of a positive dev community (if you care about that) experience and exterior materials and dimensions (feel of device) are pretty much it.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
If i didn't mind the size, and liked the look of the droid (a little to very masculine for me) then i would def. get the maxx. Battery life sounds amazing, huge screen if you want one, and $199 online for on contract.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
For me it's the Moto X or the Droid 5, which recently got a photo shoot.
The Maxx has a larger screen but only 720p so lower ppi, lower than 300ppi so you could probably notice pixels. I haven't heard of anything about the Maxx's call quality but I hear the X has crystal talk or something and has had great call quality to average. But it has 3 microphones. The Moto X also curves better in your hand than the Maxx's slab design. But I would say get your hands on both (which could mean going to a AT&T store) and see whichever fits your prefence best. The Moto X handles battery life pretty well, but that same tech is in the Maxx plus the bigger battery.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Go handle them in person at a store. I was tempted by the MAXX after I played around with it at Verizon, but then I went to an AT&T store to check out the X, and I really fell in love with the form factor of the X. Afterwards, there was no question for me that the X was the phone that I wanted.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I'm not going to an AT&T store to try the X though. Just waiting for it to come to Verizon. I've played with the Maxx already. And it's a great phone. Lots of cool features. That's also on the X. The battery seems nice, but if reports say that the X can last all day, then that's perfect for me. Better than switching out batteries 2-3 times a day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Buttons, display ppi, battery, potentiality of a positive dev community (if you care about that) experience and exterior materials and dimensions (feel of device) are pretty much it.

This about summarizes it. If the aesthetics, size, and capacitive buttons don't bother you vs. the Moto X, I think you'll be happier with the Maxx and it's huge battery.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Make sure to try the maxx out then imagine having a phone with all of the moto x features and an honest 24 to 48 hours of battery time. Can't imagine why people would get the moto x over the maxx.

Posted via Android Central App

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Make sure to try the maxx out then imagine having a phone with all of the moto x features and an honest 24 to 48 hours of battery time. Can't imagine why people would get the moto x over the maxx.

You must have a pretty pathetic imagination then.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
There's no need to attack anyone, he was just stating his opinion.

Sent from the stars...
It's not an attack; just an transitive observation. If you can't imagine why someone might want a phone that has better pixel density and form factor with previously-unheard-of customizability, then your imagination is garbage. I mean, it's not that hard to wrap your brain around is it?

Also keep in mind that most everything that guy posts is symptomatic of cognitive dissonance.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I suspect that it would due to form factor, customization, less bloatware, and a screen with a higher pixel density. Not to mention the fact that it's less expensive.

tanknitrous

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate every reply in here. I'm still really on the fence. I have a close friend that acquired a Maxx yesterday who let me handle his phone. I was very impressed, and I must say, it's size really belies it's weight. It feels a lot lighter than I thought it would. That being said, I can't shake this feeling of being intrigued by the MotoX. But, as some have said, I'm going to have a real hard time passing up that boss battery life.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
If you liked holding the Maxx and didn't mind its size, then it's a great choice. It's $100 more for 32gb store (which will cost $50 for the Moto X anyway) and a bigger battery. It's got some Verizon/Droid goodies (read: bloat) and you can't customize it, but if that doesn't matter to you then it provides nearly all the same benefits as the Moto X as far as software/hardware is concerned. The only thing that would cause me to hesitate is the fact that Droid just feels like it might be a dying brand...

...well that and the capacitive buttons, but that's just personal preference.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that would cause me to hesitate is the fact that Droid just feels like it might be a dying brand...

It may feel that way to you, but I don't think the Droid brand is dying. Motorola just signed to be the exclusive maker of Droids going forward.

My guess is they will release a Droid version of all their major phones going forward. (In this case, I see the Ultra and the Maxx as Droid versions of the X.) They probably saw the exclusive as a way to control the quality of the brand going forward and to secure a marketing partner. This will give them a channel where they know they are going to sell phones. Sure, over time the Droid brand may go away, but I expect it to last at least a few more years.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
It may feel that way to you, but I don't think the Droid brand is dying. Motorola just signed to be the exclusive maker of Droids going forward.

My guess is they will release a Droid version of all their major phones going forward. (In this case, I see the Ultra and the Maxx as Droid versions of the X.) They probably saw the exclusive as a way to control the quality of the brand going forward and to secure a marketing partner. This will give them a channel where they know they are going to sell phones. Sure, over time the Droid brand may go away, but I expect it to last at least a few more years.
I don't see it, despite the contract. Motorola and Verizon insist "Droid" is designed for their customers that demand hardcore, high end devices. Okay, well now they've got the Mini, Ultra, and Maxx. What market gaps are these filling? The Mini is a small, affordable option for folks who don't need or want the horsepower. The Ultra is an uglier version of the Moto X. The Maxx is the only one that makes sense based on what they claim "Droid" to stand for: bigger battery, bigger screen, bigger memory capacity, wireless charging...for $100 more than anything else on the market.

The only *improvement* I see in the future is an HD version of the Maxx (as they've done before). Other than that, what's the point? Seems to me they'll just continue to release Verizon-packaged iterations of whatever phone Motorola has made available to all the other carriers already. Is there a market for it? Obviously. But we're not exactly breaking boundaries here.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't see it, despite the contract. Motorola and Verizon insist "Droid" is designed for their customers that demand hardcore, high end devices. Okay, well now they've got the Mini, Ultra, and Maxx. What market gaps are these filling? The Mini is a small, affordable option for folks who don't need or want the horsepower. The Ultra is an uglier version of the Moto X. The Maxx is the only one that makes sense based on what they claim "Droid" to stand for: bigger battery, bigger screen, bigger memory capacity, wireless charging...for $100 more than anything else on the market.

The only *improvement* I see in the future is an HD version of the Maxx (as they've done before). Other than that, what's the point? Seems to me they'll just continue to release Verizon-packaged iterations of whatever phone Motorola has made available to all the other carriers already. Is there a market for it? Obviously. But we're not exactly breaking boundaries here.

I thought you were going to disagree with me, then you did not, except you did. I am confused.

Motorola will certainly develop an X2 or a new next phone. My prediction is whatever they do with the X8 architecture will be in that phone, and Verizon will have it built out in Droid versions. I actually hope they are done with the HD pathway of upgrades for the Droids.

I agree with you on the Ultra, btw. That is the one device that does not seem to have its own place in the line up, though the additional cost of adding are probably slight since they are committed to the Maxx anyway.