11-19-2013 09:29 AM
40 12
tools
    I was in the same position a few days ago, so I know your pain.

I just couldn't help posting this thread... I've NEVER seen battery life like this from an Android device unless it has a massive 3000+ mAh battery, and I DEFINITELY didn't see this kind of battery life out of the box from an Android phone either. It usually took a few days and required me to root the phone to freeze a bunch of manufacturer and carrier bloatware. The fact that the Moto X can get this kind of life on the first day out of the box is something I've never seen before.
    I have gotten 6+ hours of screen time in my S4 over a 12 hour period.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-18-2013 12:24 PM
    Took mine off the charger at 5:00pm Saturday, and didn't have to put it back on the charger until I went to bed Sunday night.
    The 2 hours of screen time Saturday night would have more than killed my GNex, but I had an entire day's use waiting for me on top of that.

105% satisfied.
    Gerald211 likes this.
    11-18-2013 12:31 PM
    What Motorola has done with the battery life on the Moto X (and the 2013 DROIDs) has been nothing short of amazing. I've had my phone for almost 2 months now and I'm still impressed.

Big question is 6 to 12 months from now, how well will the battery perform.
    11-18-2013 12:35 PM
    Keep in mind that your overall time is "only" 10.5 hours. 16 hours is much closer to a full day.
    That's why I said I'm a heavy user. I can easily get 16+ hours out of it if I don't use it heavily like I did on the first day (had to set it up, download apps, etc.).
    11-18-2013 02:23 PM
    I have gotten 6+ hours of screen time in my S4 over a 12 hour period.

You're the exception then. Most people over at XDA can barely get 3.5-4 hours of screen-on time. Hell, I barely could even get 3 hours... after flashing numerous ROMs I finally found one that allowed me to get 4 hours of screen-on time. You must've been using your phone somewhere where you get excellent service and with your brightness very low, because 6+ hours of screen-on time on the S4 is damn near impossible.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.
    11-18-2013 02:25 PM
    this is stunning. I got the moto x when it first came out and used it for about a week and my battery life was nothing like this, id drop 1% every minute or so while browsing on 4g, i downloaded a battery app and while youtube, my battery temp. would rise to 111-116 degrees, and a couple times while browsing on this exact website id drop 2% at once id get about 2 hours of on screen time, and the max i got was 3 and a half hours of on screen time just on wifi. so i ended up returning it for the htc one, but do definitely miss it. im going to pick up another moto x with the at&t next plan on december 3.

update: even with my brightness at the half way point. and usage consisted of instagram, texting, minor youtubing, and browsing. no emails no gps, nothing else
    11-18-2013 02:25 PM
    Big question is 6 to 12 months from now, how well will the battery perform.
    Think I read a review a few months ago saying to expect the battery to be about 80% after 12 months.
    11-18-2013 03:00 PM
    You're the exception then. Most people over at XDA can barely get 3.5-4 hours of screen-on time. Hell, I barely could even get 3 hours... after flashing numerous ROMs I finally found one that allowed me to get 4 hours of screen-on time. You must've been using your phone somewhere where you get excellent service and with your brightness very low, because 6+ hours of screen-on time on the S4 is damn near impossible.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.
    I have great service and brightness at around 1/4, all I need since I'm indoors in the morning (School/Home)

11-18-2013 03:07 PM
    I have great service and brightness at around 1/4, all I need since I'm indoors in the morning (School/Home)

Yep, and that's why you get good battery life. Consistent lighting conditions and good service. In my case, I'm moving from building to building as I walk to different parts of my college's campus where both wifi and cell signal fluctuate wildly, and in varying amounts of sun/shade causing me to constantly change my display brightness. With my S4, battery life was horrible in these conditions. I couldn't make it from 7am-4pm, it would be dead by 2pm. The Moto X on the other hand can easily make it till 8 or 9pm with heavy use. With moderate use I can last until 11pm and sometimes even midnight.
    11-18-2013 03:32 PM
    Yep, and that's why you get good battery life. Consistent lighting conditions and good service. In my case, I'm moving from building to building as I walk to different parts of my college's campus where both wifi and cell signal fluctuate wildly, and in varying amounts of sun/shade causing me to constantly change my display brightness. With my S4, battery life was horrible in these conditions. I couldn't make it from 7am-4pm, it would be dead by 2pm. The Moto X on the other hand can easily make it till 8 or 9pm with heavy use. With moderate use I can last until 11pm and sometimes even midnight.
    I have great service at home, but I also walk around campus a lot. In class I get 1-2 bars of LTE. In my math class I have zero signal because it's in the basement. I go into airplane mode during that class.
    WiFi is decent but I only use it when I'm in class because the signal isn't as strong as outside.
    I have used auto-brightness and I still get more than 4 and 1/2 hours of screen time.
    I don't know if you were gaming on your phone or had GPS on the whole time but there's no reason you shouldn't have been able to get from 7 A.M. to 2 P.M.
    That's only 7 hours
    11-18-2013 03:51 PM
    I have great service at home, but I also walk around campus a lot. In class I get 1-2 bars of LTE. In my math class I have zero signal because it's in the basement. I go into airplane mode during that class.
    WiFi is decent but I only use it when I'm in class because the signal isn't as strong as outside.
    I have used auto-brightness and I still get more than 4 and 1/2 hours of screen time.
    I don't know if you were gaming on your phone or had GPS on the whole time but there's no reason you shouldn't have been able to get from 7 A.M. to 2 P.M.
    That's only 7 hours
    I keep wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync, etc. on at all times. Never go into airplane mode or anything. I don't think I should have to disable features just to get a phone to last me through the day. The Moto X can survive through the day with all of that on with no problems. It's great that you're able to get 6+ hours of screen-on time with your S4, but as I said, that isn't the case for most people. Anyways, back on topic please.
    11-18-2013 04:01 PM
    I keep wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync, etc. on at all times. Never go into airplane mode or anything. I don't think I should have to disable features just to get a phone to last me through the day. The Moto X can survive through the day with all of that on with no problems. It's great that you're able to get 6+ hours of screen-on time with your S4, but as I said, that isn't the case for most people. Anyways, back on topic please.
    I don't do it to get me through the day. I do it because I don't need it. If I have no service why have the radio on?
    I don't need GPS unless I'm going somewhere I don't know how to get to and I don't use any bluetooth devices.
    Anyway. The Moto X does have excellent battery. I have seen many people getting 4+ while people with their G2 are complaining about only getting 4-5 with that massive battery XD
    11-18-2013 04:10 PM
    it has no freakin FM radio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    11-18-2013 11:58 PM
    lol....yea me and you are part of a dying breed. Thats why some older Moto phones are on my wish list.
    11-19-2013 06:56 AM
    The Moto G does. Get that.

11-19-2013 09:29 AM
40 12