google maps settings question

caseyatc

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
The settings icon in the lower left corner that is used to turn traffic on/off, google earth, settings etc... , the icon itself is barely on the screen, almost like half of the button is missing. Is there a way to adjust this? On my previous phone (samsung fascinate) the icon was fully on the screen and much easier to access.

EviI

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It's set like that so there's more maps and less buttons. It's designed so you can either swipe or tap it.

SandroidE

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
While I get the functionality of it, I REALLY miss the old version...
We do not have Navigation anymore...
And the app itself its heavier than the previous one, not sure why...

But for your question, as YouTube said, just Swipe it...

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
While I get the functionality of it, I REALLY miss the old version...
We do not have Navigation anymore...
And the app itself its heavier than the previous one, not sure why...

But for your question, as YouTube said, just Swipe it...

u r just missing the navigation icon... thats it!!! touch the search box on top thats the navigation page

SandroidE

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
u r just missing the navigation icon... thats it!!! touch the search box on top thats the navigation page

That's not what I meant...
In old navigation, you could just open the navigation app (not Google maps) without having to input a destination and still use the app... It would not let the screen go black, it would position your car on a road, would tell you the road's name, and the ones near you...
Just like a Garmin with no destination...

New app does not work like that, Google navigation just does not work without a destination, and that's what I miss the most...

Enviado desde mi XT1058 usando Tapatalk 2

SandroidE

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Well it's kind of pointless to open nav without a start and end point
Actually, no... I used to use that to report on traffic on my route, or when I had to go through an unfamiliar part of the city... With that on, you would always know the streets near you...

Also, I may add that Sygic, TomTom, Garmin, Waze and Ndrive (just to give a few examples) support navigating without a destination...
As far as I'm aware, after the update Google maps is the only one that does not support that feature...

Or course, we may differ if it's practical or not...
In my case, it is, and I really miss it...

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
After reading this post I messed around with maps when I went out for a coffee just now and you can get what you want with the new maps just as easily. Open up maps and as I said above simply swipe right and click traffic, and you'll get a nav-like layout with traffic layer without having to have a start or end point that updates as you drive. Even shows points of interest while you're driving (my coffee shop showed up on it for example). It'll also show you things like accidents and construction. You can also mess around with the compass icon to change the way the layout displays to suit you best. Hope this helps :)

SandroidE

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Well it's kind of pointless to open nav without a start and end point
That will show the overall traffic layer... After not touching the phone for a few seconds, it will go into sleep...
By "used to report on traffic", I meant that by leaving my navigation on (even without the screen turned on), I was providing google servers information about traffic...
Even if I were not using the GPS per say for a destination... I cannot do that anymore, at least with google...
That among many other things...

I get it, the old app was not usefull to you at all...
But we do not all feel like that =(

- - - Updated - - -

After reading this post I messed around with maps when I went out for a coffee just now and you can get what you want with the new maps just as easily. Open up maps and as I said above simply swipe right and click traffic, and you'll get a nav-like layout with traffic layer without having to have a start or end point that updates as you drive. Even shows points of interest while you're driving (my coffee shop showed up on it for example). It'll also show you things like accidents and construction. You can also mess around with the compass icon to change the way the layout displays to suit you best. Hope this helps :)

Will give this a try!, thanks for your time.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
That will show the overall traffic layer... After not touching the phone for a few seconds, it will go into sleep...
By "used to report on traffic", I meant that by leaving my navigation on (even without the screen turned on), I was providing google servers information about traffic...
Even if I were not using the GPS per say for a destination... I cannot do that anymore, at least with google...
That among many other things...

I get it, the old app was not usefull to you at all...
But we do not all feel like that =(

- - - Updated - - -

Will give this a try!, thanks for your time.

No problem, I had to relearn Maps all over again with these changes. One thing I can't help you with is the screen timeout :(

When you are in navigation mode your screen will stay on. Unfortunately if you're just in map mode like we're talking about here there is no option to keep the screen from timing out. The workaround I use is to start maps from inside a Car Mode app, like Carhome Ultra for example. Those have the ability to keep the display on no matter what you're doing as long as you launch the app from that interface. Another less easy way would be to adjust your phone display settings every time you get into your car but that's a hassle. I don't mind the Car app solution because I do a lot of stuff using car mode anyway so it's already useful to me. On a side note, Google getting rid of a dedicated Car Mode from the android OS was a mistake IMO. If you're lucky enough to own a phone brand that bakes their own car mode into the phone you're gold. If not the best one I've used so far is Carhome Ultra

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's not what I meant...
In old navigation, you could just open the navigation app (not Google maps) without having to input a destination and still use the app... It would not let the screen go black, it would position your car on a road, would tell you the road's name, and the ones near you...
Just like a Garmin with no destination...

New app does not work like that, Google navigation just does not work without a destination, and that's what I miss the most...

Even the old "nav app" was just a subsection of the Google maps app. That's it. It was not actually a stand alone app.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually, no... I used to use that to report on traffic on my route, or when I had to go through an unfamiliar part of the city... With that on, you would always know the streets near you...

Also, I may add that Sygic, TomTom, Garmin, Waze and Ndrive (just to give a few examples) support navigating without a destination...
As far as I'm aware, after the update Google maps is the only one that does not support that feature...

Or course, we may differ if it's practical or not...
In my case, it is, and I really miss it...

ahhhh... u can do it with the current map just open map and drive it will do it