New 16gb for free or spend $100 for custom 32gb?

emBARK

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm about to finally get around to upgrading and getting my Moto X. However I'm torn between getting a free 16 or using Moto Maker and doing a 32 for $100 (Verizon). I currently own a Razr M, which while at first I liked, now however is so incredibly slow and lagging I can't stand it. I'm not a power user, I don't have any music on my phone (I usually just stream Pandora), I don't watch any movies, and only have a few small simple games. Currently, after looking at my Razr M (I have a 8gb card in it), I have about 7.5 gb free between the 8 gb of the phone and 8 gb card. I'm pretty sure that 16 will be enough for me, however I worry that since I'll have to have the X for 2 years, that after a year or so I might find 16 gb lacking.

If over the past few years I've been okay with 16 gb or less of storage, should I be good for the next?

Thanks for the replies.

Adrian Rangel

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I thought the same thing, But I quickly realized with a new phone I'm taking more pictures and installing more apps. I currently have the 16gb version and wish I could have used moto maker and got the 32. I don't like having to worry weather or not I'm gonna have enough space on my phone. I would rather have memory to spare then not enough. Just my experience though.

Posted via Android Central App

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
With the 16gb version you will have somewhere between 11 and 12gb to work with out of the box. What you get is what you will always have since memory expansion with an sd card is not an option. If you have any doubts about having enough get the most memory you can now since it's all you will have for as long as you have the phone. Having more memory in case you need it is always better in my way of looking at it.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the above. It's amazing how fast the space starts to shrink once you add media, take photos and videos etc., and the app data...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
get the 32 gb and u wont have any storage problems in future...
unlike other OEM like Apple and samsung doubling the storage only cost $50

emBARK

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
get the 32 gb and u wont have any storage problems in future...
unlike other OEM like Apple and samsung doubling the storage only cost $50

Well actually in this case we are talking $100 since a black textured 16gb can be had at VZW.com for free. Is it worth the $100? I honestly could case less about the custom aspect of it.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well actually in this case we are talking $100 since a black textured 16gb can be had at VZW.com for free. Is it worth the $100? I honestly could case less about the custom aspect of it.

For me, yes it would be worth it, to you I can't say. The important thing to consider is this; get what you want now, don't settle for anything else that you may regret later. If 16gb works for you get it, if there is any doubt then get the 32gb. Just my opinion, YMMV.

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I got the .01 deal black on black from Amazon and I am happy with 16g so far. Put several hundred songs on it 1.17g. .5g pictures and have 7.17g free currently. On Maui, so will see what photos do to it in the next 19 days. It is very easy to drag photos off it. Will have to see if I can do that with tablet that has full size usb port.

On edit. Unlike plugging into my computers, the tablet does not "see" the phones storage. Drats! Chris

Sent from my A200 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

slg1906

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm about to finally get around to upgrading and getting my Moto X. However I'm torn between getting a free 16 or using Moto Maker and doing a 32 for $100 (Verizon). I currently own a Razr M, which while at first I liked, now however is so incredibly slow and lagging I can't stand it. I'm not a power user, I don't have any music on my phone (I usually just stream Pandora), I don't watch any movies, and only have a few small simple games. Currently, after looking at my Razr M (I have a 8gb card in it), I have about 7.5 gb free between the 8 gb of the phone and 8 gb card. I'm pretty sure that 16 will be enough for me, however I worry that since I'll have to have the X for 2 years, that after a year or so I might find 16 gb lacking.

If over the past few years I've been okay with 16 gb or less of storage, should I be good for the next?

Thanks for the replies.

I was in the same position. I left a RAZR M with a 16GB card in it. I got a 16GB X from Big Red. While it was an adjustment, if you move pics and any music/videos to Google Drive or Drop box, you'll be fine.

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I found I can share photo to the tablet via bluetooth, one picture at a time. Anyone know a quicker way to move photos off the M.X. Guess I could move the to Google cloud and the back down to the tablet. Chris

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I found I can share photo to the tablet via bluetooth, one picture at a time. Anyone know a quicker way to move photos off the M.X. Guess I could move the to Google cloud and the back down to the tablet. Chris

Why not just set the phone to auto backup pictures and video to Google+? That way, you can access them both via phone or tablet. You can delete the pics off the phone in order to save room and then redownload them from the cloud to either the phone or tablet as necessary.

Honestly, more room for pictures you've taken is the stupidest reason ever at this point to need more storage space on a phone.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
If spending the extra money is not an issue then yes get the 32gb. Always better to have too much memory than not enough.

Sent from my Moto X

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Well with a little playing around using multiselect and bluetooth share I moved a .5 g of pictures to my tablet. You have to move them from the root of the tablet to where you want them, again multiselect works. Then i did another multiselect on the phone to delete them. Several steps but I now have oom for photos. If you store them on the net then that is going to use data to get them there, right? Chris

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Always get the highest capacity you can afford. You can't add storage to these phones so would you rather be in the situation where you need storage you don't have our have storage you don't need.

I always had 16 GB phones and thought I was fine, but I didn't realize how much u was limiting myself to stay under that until I got a 32 GB One and now a 32 GB X.

Posted via Android Central App

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I use Dropbox and it has a menu setting where you can choose to only upload over wifi when you have auto-backup chosen for images.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I have 32 gb and it's great. I do tend to keep my phones the full 2 years, though, so even though I may not need that much now in a year or so I might. Still if you're not a power user than the 16 gb might be just fine for you. If you plan on switching to ART, though, you might need the extra space - just a thought.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
That's a lot of money, unless there's stuff you want to keep on your phone, google drive is pretty awesome. I recently streamed from Google drive a 700MB file of a show i uploaded and it ran smooth as silk. But i have to have a lot of music and video on phone right now because i'm often out of range for streaming, so i got the 32GB, if i didn't need that, for $100 i woulda stuck with 16GB. My previous phone had a total of 8GB storage on it and it was fine for me, i even put music on it.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
The answer to how much storage you need is a personal individual choice. If you don't play many games, install many apps, or store many music or photos, then you should be fine with 16gb. However, in addition to looking at how you use the phone now, one must take into account how they will use it going forward as well. Are there any lifestyle changes coming up that might change that equation? New job, new school, new place to live? Those kinds of things factor in.